Photos of university / #uniofexeter
This programme is an ideal route to further research in accounting and finance, such as an MPhil or PhD. If you are interested in a mainly taught Masters degree with a greater emphasis on management skills and techniques and less emphasis on research methodology, find out more about some of the other programmes we offer:
* MSc Financial Analysis and Fund Management
* MA Finance and Investment
* MSc Finance and Management
* MSc Marketing and Financial Services
The MRes Accounting and Finance is ideal for anyone wishing to undertake research into accounting. In addition to a substantial research-based dissertation, you will learn core research skills for the social sciences, their theoretical underpinnings, and become acquainted with the data collection and analysis techniques used for academic research in accounting. You will also develop an awareness of the breadth of the management and business studies field, its range of specialisms and the links between its specialisms.
The programme contains modules that will provide a theoretical and practical grounding in the tools and techniques of accounting and financial analysis. As you work through it, you will develop a critical awareness of articles in academic accounting journals, and a familiarity with the concepts and research methods they use. You will start to develop the skills needed to engage in debates about accounting and financial policy. When you have finished, you will be competent to choose between research methodologies, including alternate econometric techniques and software packages.
In addition to the support and facilities provided by the University and Business School, MRes Accounting and Finance students further benefit from:
* a one week optional tour of European Stock Exchanges;
* a programme of practical sessions taught by practitioners.
This programme is available for study 12 months full-time over three terms and is University-based throughout this time. The taught components of the programme are delivered in the first two terms, leaving the third term and most of the summer to research, write and submit your dissertation. The programme in its entirety runs from October to September.
During the programme you will study modules (including the dissertation) totalling 180 credits. Please note that all options are available timetable permitting and may change.
Please note that programme structures may be subject to change.
Module / Credits
* Dissertation (BEAM027)/ 60
* Advanced Financial Accounting (BEAM024) /15
* Advanced Management Accounting (BEAM025) /15
* Corporate Governance, Reporting and Regulation (BEAM026) /15
* Financial Modelling (BEAM046) /15
* Fundamentals of Financial Management (BEAM047) /15
* Philosophy of the Social Sciences (SOCM002A) /15
* Social Science Research Skills (PSYM202) /15
* Total credits 165
You will choose one 15 credit option from a regularly updated selection. Recent modules are shown below:
Module / Credits
* Advanced Corporate Finance (BEAM050) / 15
* Banking and Financial Services (BEAM033) / 15
* Derivatives Pricing (BEAM035) / 15
* Domestic and International Portfolio Management (BEAM036) / 15
The University of Exeter has a wide range of funding available. Please visit -for further information.