Photos of university / #unikentlive
A world-class business school combining rigorous teaching with real world relevance and strong links to the business community.
Our research, which is within the top 30 business schools, underpins and enhances our teaching. Our flagship programme, the Kent MBA, has AMBA accreditation and together with our Masters in Management, Marketing, Business Analytics, Human Resource Management, Logistics, Management Science, Value Chain Management and programmes in finance and accounting, we continue to attract applicants with a wide range of backgrounds from 102 countries leading to excellent results in the 2012 Guardian and Sunday Times university league tables.
Studying at Kent Business School (KBS) gives you the opportunity to increase your employability with real-life case studies, a student council and a business society. We have strong links to local and national organisations providing opportunities for projects, internships and graduate placements. The School attracts many high-profile speakers from industry and last year included visits and lectures from staff of the Bank of England, BAE Systems, Barclays, Lloyds Insurance, Cummins, Delphi and Kent County Council.
The School currently has 60 PhD students, who form a dynamic and close-knit research community.
We have international expertise in the following areas: accounting; finance, operational research, international business strategy, organisational behaviour, human resource management, marketing and supply chain management. Supervisors are not allocated until each applicants qualifications and eligibility have been checked after submitting a full application online.
Masters and PhD degrees are available in most of these areas or in the general subject area of management.
Accounting and Finance
This group pursues research in a variety of areas including financial management in the public and profit-seeking sector, environmental and social aspects of accounting, cash flow analysis, the law and practice of auditing, accounting history and international accounting, financial econometrics, corporate finance, asset pricing, real-estate modelling, security price behaviour.
Research in this group cuts across four main domains including, marketing strategy and performance; product development and innovation; buyer behaviour; and the management of supply (value) chains and market delivery systems. Strong links with industry and an international network of research partners support the Groups empirical research. The growing body of postgraduate research students is at the heart of the theoretical and conceptual work in which the Group is engaged.
This group covers a wide range of research areas in operational research and systems thinking. These include research in the area of logistics including green logistics and network security with a special emphasis on the innovative design and analysis of heuristic and exact optimisation, DEA, operation management, multi-variate analysis, biometrics, multi-methodology and soft OR/systems.
People, Management and Organisation
Research examines themes in the areas of employment relations, human resource management, organisational behaviour and leadership. The Group covers a wide range of research, including employment relationships, the role of social partners, the effects of skills, technology and culture on the world of work, employee engagement, and the role of leadership.
Strategy and International Business
Research in this group focuses on strategic alliances, non-market strategies, performance management, business in emerging economies, international strategy, management of multinational enterprises and corporate social responsibility.
A 2.1 at undergraduate level and, for PhD applicants, a Merit at Masters level in a relevant discipline from a UK or other approved university and/or equivalent. You must submit a research proposal of approximately 1,500 words on your intended topic.
PhD applicants who do not hold a first class honours degree (if still completing their Masters programme) or a relevant Masters degree with Distinction will be asked to pay a £100 application fee (deductible from the first years fees).
Templeman Scholarship - exclusively for Kent graduates
* Offers tuition fees for one year.
* Open to full-time taught Master's applicants who are Kent graduates.
Alumni Postgraduate Research Scholarship - exclusively for Kent graduates
* Offers home-rate tuition fees plus maintenance award (£13,863 for 2014-15)
* Open to full-time doctoral applicants who are Kent alumni.
Graduate School Scholarship - exclusively for Kent graduates
* £1,000 tuition fee reduction (£500 over two years for part-time students).
* Open to 2014 Kent graduates who are registered at Kent by 1 October 2014 for a self-funded postgraduate degree programme.
Loyalty discount - exclusively for Kent graduates
* 10% discount on the first year of postgraduate tuition fees.
* Open to alumni, siblings/children of alumni, husband and wife studying together for further degrees.
100 50th anniversary Research Scholarships
* PhD scholarships offered at the standard UK Research Councils rate (£13,863 for 2014-15).
* Applicants must hold a first or 2i hons degree / Masters at merit or distinction and meet other criteria.
* Applicants must be eligible to register no later than 1 October 2014.
* Open to applicants from any country. Please note that overseas students must have the appropriate documentation to evidence eligibility to work in the UK. Further information can be found here.
* The scholarships are administered under the Graduate Teaching Assistantship Scheme. See below.
Medway Community Scholarships
* £1,000 financial support, and advice, training and guidance to help you deliver your project
* Recipients of other scholarships may still be eligible for a Medway community scholarship if they meet the award criteria.
* Open to all applicants registered or due to register at Medway.
Graduate Teaching Assistantships
* Varies from a few hundred pounds to the standard UK Research Councils rate (£13,863 for 2014-15).
* GTAs are employed to teach alongside their studies and must meet criteria specific to the academic school.
* Open to applicants from any country subject to visa and residency requirements.
University of Kent at Paris Scholarship
* £25,000 scholarship fund.
* Applicants must hold a relevant first-class Bachelor's degree (or specified equivalent) and meet other criteria.
* Open to UK, EU and overseas fee-paying applicants.
University of Kent at Rome Scholarship
* Fee waiver and maintenance stipend of £13,590.
* Applicants must hold a relevant first-class Bachelor's Degree (or specified equivalent) and meet other criteria.
* Open to UK, EU and overseas fee-paying applicants.
Christine and Ian Bolt Scholarship
* Open to full-time Kent postgraduate students whose research material is located in the USA.
* Offers up to £10,000 (to include tuition fees) for one year in support of a sustained period of research in the USA.
The Dora Harvey Memorial Research Scholarship
* Open to full-time UK, EU and overseas fee-paying applicants.
* Covers tuition fees for a female Faculty of Social Sciences PhD student at the home/EU rate.
European jointly supervised PhDs (Cotutelle) Scholarship
* Open to full-time EU (non UK) applicants of University of Kent jointly supervised PhDs (Cotutelle).
* Offers 50% off tuition fees at the Home/EU rate for one year.
* Covers tuition fees for a programme of study.
* Applicants must be (or be dependents of) serving or former members of Gurkha brigades located in Kent, and meet other criteria.
* Open to full-time applicants from any country.
* Open to eligible students from Iberian or Latin American countries.
* Offers £5,000 (for one year) towards a full-time taught or research Masters degree at the University of Kent.
Music Performance Scholarship (Music at Kent website)
* Up to £5,000 pa which includes provision for instrumental/vocal tuition (up to £500 pa).
* Applicants must meet a range of specified criteria.
* Open to all new students from any country.
2014 Army Medical Services
* £2,500 per annum
* Applicants must be studying on one of four specific programmes of study
* Open to full-time applicants.