Photos of university
Graduates will develop their language skills to a very high level and gain experience in the area of translation technology. Students will acquire a very high level of communication skills in their chosen language (French, German, Italian or Spanish).
The programme offers intensive training in the use of Trados Translation software and provides students with the possibility of progressing to Trados Certification at no extra cost. Optional modules provide the opportunity to concentrate on areas of particular interest.
Our students have found employment in a variety of contexts both in Ireland and abroad. In particular, graduates of this programme are employed by national and international translation companies, EU offices, international customer care and marketing.
Many have taken up teaching positions at secondary and third level. A number of graduates have progressed to doctoral studies and have obtained prestigious scholarships.
* Translation Methodology and Text: development of skills in advanced and specialised translation with an emphasis on translation software.
* Introduction to the Skills of Consecutive Interpreting: development of skills required in consecutive interpreting: speaking in public, note taking, mnemonic retention.
* Audiovisual Translation: interlingual subtitling (French and Italian). Elements of analysis of film discourse and audiovisual translation. Hands-on workshops with short subtitling projects.
* Language and Intercultural Communication: the aim of this module is to equip students with the transferable skills necessary to work successfully in an international environment.
* Translation Studies: this module provides a strong theoretical focus and a history and development of the field of translation studies.
* Dissertation: a research dissertation of approximately 20,000 words on a topic to be decided in consultation with the course coordinators.
Students with financial difficulties are eligible to apply to the Financial Aid Fund. Only registered students, who have paid the student levy of 224 and pursuing a full time Undergraduate or postgraduate course are eligible to apply to the fund. A standardised online assessment system is used to determine the level of need and aid. The online form for 2014/15 will be available in late September / early October. The ability to support a student depends on the size of the fund available, the number of applications and the circumstances of the applicants in any given year.
NUI Galway is a research-led University with internationally recognised expertise in selected priority areas.Research at NUI Galway is forward-thinking and global in scale. Today we are leading the field in a wide range of areas including stem cell and gene therapy research, human rights law, environmental change, and developing the next generation of internet technology.
Our key research achievements include:
* Home to two Science Foundation Ireland-funded Centres for Science, Engineering and Technology (CSETs), our Digital Enterprise research Institute (DERI) and our Regenerative Medicine Institute (REMEDI)
* Awarded Republic of Ireland's first UNESCO Chair in Children's Youth and Civic Engagement
* The world's leading experts in Human Rights Law
* Ireland 's leading Marine and Environmental Research Centres
* Ireland 's primary centre for stem cell and gene therapy research and regenerative medicine
* DERI, the world's largest research institute of internet technology