A joint AS in Occupational Therapy Assistant is sponsored by the School of Health Related Professions (SHRP) in collaboration with Camden County College, County College of Morris, Cumberland County College, Hudson County Community College, Mercer County Community College, Ocean County College, Passaic County Community College, Raritan Valley Community College, Salem Community College, Sussex County Community College, Warren County Community College, or Thomas Edison State College.
The general education and science requirements for this program are completed at the community college. The respiratory courses are offered in Newark at the School of Health Related Professions. Successful completion of all the requirements will earn you a joint Associate of Science degree from the School of Health Related Professions and the affiliate community college. Program graduates will be eligible to sit for the national certification examination for the occupational therapy assistant administered by the National Board for Certification in Occupational Therapy (NBCOT).
After successful completion of this exam, the individual will be a Certified Occupational Therapy Assistant (COTA). In addition, most states including New Jersey require licensure in order to practice; however, state licenses are usually based on the results of the NBCOT certification examination. The professional phase of the program is completed in Scotch Plains.
Detailed Course FactsApplication deadline February, October Tuition fee
- USD 13683 Year (National)
- USD 27978 Year (International)
This 42-credit professional curriculum is designed for full-time or a part-time study. Courses are grouped into four segments, and in this way, both full and part-times study options ensure that foundational courses precede more advanced coursework, that Level I fieldwork integrates essential content, and that knowledge and skills is progressively developed and advanced. The full-time track includes four semesters beginning in the fall.Fall one:
- Occupational Therapy Foundations for the OTA
- Communication Techniques
- Occupational Performance and Participation: Skills and Client Factors
- Conditions Impacting Occupation, Participation, & Health I: Adult/Older Adult
- Level I Fieldwork A: Integration and Practice Applications
- Group Dynamics
- Principles and Practices I: Wellness and Mental Health
- Occupational Performance and Participation:
- Therapeutic Applications
- Principles and Practices II: Rehabilitation, Disability, Aging, and Participation
- Level I Fieldwork B: Integration and Practice Applications
- Conditions Impacting Occupation, Participation & Health II: Child/Adolescent
- Principles and Practices III: Children and Youth
- Professional Seminar I
- Level I Fieldwork C: Integration and Practice Applications
- OTA Practice: Fieldwork II,
- Adult/Older AdultOTA Practice: Fieldwork II,
- Child/AdolescentProfessional Seminar II
English Language Requirements
IELTS band : 6.5 TOEFL paper-based test score : 550 TOEFL iBT® test : 79
To study at this university, you have to speak English. We advice you totake an IELTS test. More About IELTS
Our primary emphasis is placed on the students academic promise as demonstrated by:
- completion of required entrance subjects
- academic performance in high school or its equivalent:
- strength of academic program (number/type of academic, honors, or advanced placement courses completed)
- grades and grade trends
- weighted grade-point average(s)
- cumulative rank, when available
- SAT and/or ACT scores
- English Proficiency Examination results, when required
No work experience is required.
- Academic Excellence Scholarship
"The Academic Excellence Scholarship can provide up to a 50 % reduction in tuition per semester. These scholarships will be renewed if the student maintains superior academic performance during each semester of their 3-year Bachelor programme. The scholarship will be directly applied to the student’s tuition fees."
- Alumni Study Travel Fund
Scholarships for students who are already attending the University of Reading.
- Amsterdam Merit Scholarships
The University of Amsterdam aims to attract the world’s brightest students to its international classrooms. Outstanding students from outside the European Economic Area can apply for an Amsterdam Merit Scholarship.
* The scholarships shown on this page are suggestions first and foremost. They could be offered by other organisations than Rutgers, The State University of New Jersey.
Rutgers uses your FAFSA to develop a financial-aid package based on your qualifications, financial need and the funds available to the university. Your package may include any or a combination of these major financial aid sources:
- Gift aid does not require repayment and is divided into three categories: grants (which recognize financial need) and scholarships and awards (which recognize academic merit, special talents, or other achievements).
- Loans must be repaid (usually after graduation) and can come from private lenders as well as federal, state and university sources.
- Work-study allows students to earn money for college expenses while gaining valuable skills - often in their intended field.
The Rutgers name is recognized everywhere, and a Rutgers degree makes a great first impression. Weve built our academic reputation on solid accomplishments:
- Rutgers is a memberso are Harvard, Yale, and Berkeleyof the prestigious Association of American Universities, the 61 leading research universities in North America.
- More than 175 Rutgers research centers support pioneering work in stem cells, climate change, DNA analysis, and more.
- Rutgers international reputation draws top students from more than 130 countries and all 50 states.