Photos of university / #ucl
This PhD programme provides training at the interface between developmental and stem cell biology and can be taken in either three or four years. The four-year programme includes a first year with rotations in three laboratories; both include not only working in the lab, but also active, small-group training in key skills: good writing, experimental design, reviewing papers, computational skills and many modern techniques.
- First year: 3 rotations of 3 months each in different laboratories, and a weekly journal club, overseen by all supervisors on the programme (4 year programme only).
- Second year: thesis work starts in August/September of the first year. In the second year, an advanced modern microscopy course and an intensive workshop to develop writing and reviewing skills take place in parallel, with a small group of 5-7 students.
- Third year: continue thesis research work, complemented with experimental design workshops.
- Fourth year: complete research project, write up thesis. Workshops on funding, career planning and other skills tailored to each student.
- Biological clocks in development, differentiation, disease and regeneration
- Cell fate determination and pattern formation
- Cell migration
- Cell signalling and signal transduction mechanisms
- Early development (e.g. fertilisation, gastrulation, embryonic induction)
- Evolution and development
- Induction, tissue interactions
- Left-right asymmetry
- Live imaging
- Morphogenesis, tissue patterning
- Neural development and neural cell biology
- Regeneration and repair
- Stem cell biology
- Tissue engineering
- 5 year Specialist Diploma with an overall mark of 4.5/5.0
- Bachelor's degree with an overall mark of 4.5/5.0
- Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL). Score of 100 overall with 24/30 in reading and writing and 20/30 in speaking and listening
- British Council International Language Testing System (IELTS Academic Version). Overall grade of 7.0 with a minimum of 6.5 in each of the subtests.
- British Chevening Scholarships