Photos of university / #uniofeastanglia
Newton A-level Economics and Actuarial Science
High quality A-level study on the campus of a leading university
Learn the skills that you need from leading academics to prepare for your degree in economic, science and accounting related fields.
Course length: 5 - 6 terms (18 - 21 months)
When can I start?
- Six-term programme
Mon 22 Sep 2014 to Fri 26 Jun 2015 (Year 1) £20,625
Mon 21 Sep 2015 to Fri 10 Jun 2016 (Year 2*) £20,625
- Five-term programme
Mon 05 Jan 2015 to Fri 26 Jun 2015 (Year 1) £13,750
Mon 21 Sep 2015 to Fri 10 Jun 2016 (Year 2*) £20,625
* Provisional dates only. exact programme dates to be confirmed once exam boards have been finalised.
Detailed Course FactsApplication deadline As soon as possible Tuition fee
- GBP 37125 Year (EEA)
- GBP 37125 Year (Non-EEA)
Tuition fees do not include:
enrolment fee: an additional charge of £150 per academic programme (to be charged upon confirmation) ;
textbooks and other learning materials: an additional charge in the region of £250 across the two-year programme.
Compulsory course modules:
- All Newton Programme students study Mathematics to AS-level, and take (P1) Pure Mathematics and either (M1) Mechanics or (S1) Probability and Statistics.
- The CIE Economics A-level syllabus covers: Basic economic ideas; The price system and the theory of the firm; Government intervention in the price system; International Trade; Theory and measurement in the macroeconomy; Macroeconomic problems; and Macroeconomic policies.
- Further Mathematics is only available to students who will study Mathematics to full A-level. The CIE Further Mathematics A-level syllabus is divided into two parts - (Paper 1) Pure Maths and (Paper 2) Mechanics and Statistics. Please note: Further Mathematics is not available for study to AS-level.
- The CIE Physics A-level syllabus covers: general Physics (Physical quantities and units, measurement techniques); Newtonian mechanics; Matter; Oscillations and waves; Electricity and magnetism; modern Physics (Charged particles, Quantum physics, Nuclear physics); Gathering and communicating information (direct sensing, remote and sensing).
- At AS-level and A-level, aspects of the following subjects are studied: The accounting system; Financial accounting; Financial reporting; Interpretation and elements of managerial accounting.
- AS-level subjects: Cognitive, social, developmental and physiological psychology; Psychology of individual differences. At A-level, students will study how psychology is applied in two of the following areas: Education; Health; The environment; Abnormality; Organisations.
Newton Programme enrichment activities
In addition to your academic study, you will be provided with an enrichment programme tailored to your needs and progression plans.
Global Perspectives is taught as a series of seminars that encourages students to explore real-world challenges that will face them as young people in the modern world wherever they may live and work. All students will choose a particular area of interest to explore and present to their peers. Topics include: Practical Ethics, Economics, Environment and Technology. This course provides excellent preparation for undergraduate study by developing independent thinking, and gives you the opportunity to engage in open debate and research on your own topic.
English Language Support lessons will be targeted to the needs of individual students and will improve your spoken English and academic writing. In Year 2, specific support is given to those students requiring IELTS at high level for degree study. INTO University of East Anglia is now a certified IELTS test centre. Students needing to take an IELTS test for university entry will be able to take the test on-site.
All students will join a tutorial group which meets once a week. Activities within the tutor group are focused on developing students interpersonal and communication skills. Additionally, students will have one-to-one tutorials with their Personal Tutor throughout the course.
Students with an interest in business will have the opportunity to complete a Young Enterprise programme. As part of the programme you will receive masterclasses on business from local entrepreneurs and work on a project to develop your own startup company.
Students are supported throughout the university application process. They will have the option to attend medical ethics workshops and discuss important topics in the medical world, which are often included in Medical School interviews. Additional preparation sessions are available for those students taking the UKCAT, BMAT, PAT, LNAT and STEP tests. Visiting academics will give lectures on interview techniques and students will have the opportunity to talk to current university students about their own experiences.
English Language Requirements
IELTS band : 5
To study at this university, you have to speak English. We advice you totake an IELTS test.
Newton Programme candidates must demonstrate potential for entry to top-ranked universities, such as to Oxford, Cambridge and the US Ivy League or medicine.
For entry on to the programme you must have completed your education to Year 11 level.
6 term: 6 GCSE passes at grade A or A*
5 term: 6 GCSE passes at grade A or A*
6 term: 6 GCSE passes at grade B or above
5 term: 6 GCSE passes at grade B or above
Five-term programme: IELTS 5.5 (with a minimum of 5.5 in writing and no subskill part less than 5.0), or GCSE English language grade A, or equivalent.
Six-term programme: IELTS 5.0 (with no subskill part less than 5.0), or GCSE English language grade A or B, or equivalent.
The Centre accepts other Secure English Language Tests (SELT) including Pearson PTE.
You must be aged 16 or over when you arrive for your INTO programme.
No work experience is required.
- Academic Excellence Scholarship
"The Academic Excellence Scholarship can provide up to a 50 % reduction in tuition per semester. These scholarships will be renewed if the student maintains superior academic performance during each semester of their 3-year Bachelor programme. The scholarship will be directly applied to the student’s tuition fees."
- Access Bursary
Bursary for UK students all subjects where the variable tuition fee rate is payable.
- Alumni Bursary
Alumni Bursary for UK Undergraduate students
* The scholarships shown on this page are suggestions first and foremost. They could be offered by other organisations than University of East Anglia.
High achievement is important to INTO and its students. We reward the academic success of the best students and in 2010 gave over £1m in scholarships that helped fund their studies.
If you have a strong academic record you will have the opportunity to apply for an INTO scholarship. These recognise those that have worked hard to join us and have the potential to go on to study at the highest levels. Every study centre offers scholarships and each application is considered with great care.