Photos of university / #uni_southampton
Southampton has an unrivalled reputation in electronics and our graduates are employed worldwide in highly prestigious positions.
From cutting-edge electronics, computer processors and artificial intelligence, to nanoscale materials and communication techniques our students have a hand in it all.
Through a mixture of theory and practical demonstrations, laboratory work in outstanding facilities, group coursework, and a challenging personal project to build a unique electronic system, you will develop skills that are critical to ongoing technology development.
Our BEng Electronic Engineering will provide you with the skills to work in any area of the electronics industry.
- Southampton has achieved fantastic rankings in each of the most recent league tables:
- 1st in Electronics and Electrical Engineering, and 3rd for Computer Science and IT (Guardian University Guide 2013)
- 2nd in Electronics and Electrical Engineering, and 5th in Computer Science (Complete University Guide 2013)
- 2nd in Electronics and Electrical Engineering, and 8th in Computer Science (Times Good University Guide 2013)
- We have pioneered many of the most important advances in electronics and microelectronics over the past 30 years
- Our BEng Electronic Engineering is accredited by the IET
- Our £100m interdisciplinary clean room opened in 2008
- 97 per cent of our graduates had graduate-level jobs within six months of graduation in 2011
Detailed Course FactsApplication deadline January 15 Tuition fee
- GBP 9000 Year (EEA)
Students undertake three years of study. Each year there are compulsory modules. However, the degree has been designed to maximise student choice by allowing you to tailor the degree structure to suit your own interests. In the first two years you will cover the fundamental theory, practice and skills essential to a chartered engineer. In your third year, you can choose areas that reflect your personal interests and work on an individual project.
Semester 1Compulsory Core Modules
- ELEC1200 Electronic Circuits
- ELEC1201 Programming
- ELEC1202 Digital Systems and Microprocessors
Semester 2Compulsory Core Modules
- ELEC1204 Advanced Programming
- ELEC1205 Solid State Devices
- ELEC1207 Electronic Systems
Full Academic YearCompulsory Core Modules
- ELEC1028 TT Personal Tutorial
- ELEC1029 TT Electronic Labs Yr1
- ELEC1206 Electrical Materials and Fields
- MATH1055 Mathematics for Electronic and Electrical Engineering
Semester 1Compulsory Modules
- ELEC2212 Electromagnetism for Communications
- ELEC2220 Control and Communications
- ELEC2221 Digital Systems and Signal Processing
- MATH2047 Mathematics for Electronics & Electrical Engineering Part II
Semester 2Compulsory Modules
- ELEC2201 Devices
- ELEC2204 Computer Engineering
- ELEC2205 Electronic Design
- ELEC2216 Advanced Electronic Systems
Full Academic YearCompulsory Modules
- ELEC2024 TT Electronic Labs Yr2
Semester 1Optional (Recommended) Modules
- COMP3201 Cyber Security
- COMP3206 Machine Learning
- COMP3215 Real-Time Computing and Embedded Systems
- ELEC3201 Robotic Systems
- ELEC3203 Digital Coding and Transmission
- ELEC3205 Control System Design
- ELEC3207 Nanoelectronic Devices
- ELEC3218 Signal and Image Processing
- ELEC3221 Digital IC and Systems Design
- MANG3067 Engineering Management and Law
- MATH3081 Operational Research
- MATH3083 Advanced Partial Differential Equations
+ show 8 additional optional modules...
Semester 2Optional (Recommended) Modules
- COMP3212 Computational Biology
- COMP3214 Principles and Practice of Computer Graphics
- COMP3216 Safety-Critical Systems
- COMP3217 Secure Systems
- ELEC3202 Green Electronics
- ELEC3204 Wireless and Optical Communications
- ELEC3206 Digital Control System Design
- ELEC3208 Analogue and Mixed Signal Electronics
- ELEC3217 Photonics
- ELEC3219 Advanced Computer Architecture
- MATH3082 Optimisation
- MATH3084 Integral Transform Methods
+ show 27 additional optional modules...
Full Academic YearCompulsory Core Modules
- COMP3200 Part III Individual Project
English Language Requirements
IELTS band : 6.5
To study at this university, you have to speak English. We advice you totake an IELTS test.
GCSE Mathematics and English at grade C or above
A*AA including Mathematics and Physics. In lieu of Physics, another physical science may be accepted, such as Electronics or Chemistry. General Studies and Critical Thinking are not accepted as one of the three A levels.
English Language Requirements:
If English is not your first language, you will be required to pass an approved English test. We normally ask for a score of IELTS 6.5 with at least 5.5 in each competency.
We welcome applications from candidates offering qualifications other than A and AS levels (including BTEC Higher National Diploma, European Baccalaureate, International Baccalaureate, Irish Leaving Certificate and Scottish Highers). You will be expected to attain an equivalent standard (or higher) to an A level applicant.
We welcome applications from international students.
We welcome applications from mature students. If you will be over 21 at the start of your proposed degree programme, you are may be eligible for exemption from our normal entry requirements. However, you will be required to provide evidence of having completed recent study (eg Access, Return to Study, Open University foundation courses) and of your capacity to pursue the course.
No work experience is required.
- Academic Excellence Scholarship
"The Academic Excellence Scholarship can provide up to a 50 % reduction in tuition per semester. These scholarships will be renewed if the student maintains superior academic performance during each semester of their 3-year Bachelor programme. The scholarship will be directly applied to the student’s tuition fees."
- Access Bursary
Bursary for UK students all subjects where the variable tuition fee rate is payable.
- Alumni Bursary
Alumni Bursary for UK Undergraduate students
* The scholarships shown on this page are suggestions first and foremost. They could be offered by other organisations than University of Southampton.
Our BEng Electronic Engineering is accredited by the Institution of Engineering and Technology (IET) and we are a member of the UK Electronics Skills Foundation.