Photos of university / #we_are_ceu
PhD in Environmental Sciences and Policy
The doctoral program provides an exceptional opportunity to pursue fundamental and applied research to address some of the world’s most urgent environmental challenges. Our graduates emerge from the program with a nuanced understanding of diverse approaches to environmental problems, extensive practical research experience, professional networks and analytical and practical thinking skills.
Our program is a unique opportunity to:
- Pursue meaningful research that addresses some of the most urgent environmental challenges facing the world today.
- Earn a U.S. accredited doctoral degree in 3 + years (min. 3 years; maximum 6 years).
- Receive full scholarship support for up to 36 months of study.
- Join a truly global network and become a member of the CEU international community.
- Study in Vienna and make new life-long friends.
The PhD program aims to combine breadth and depth of interdisciplinary learning about the environment with professional development skills. The program begins with an introduction to a wide range of theoretical and methodological approaches, which allows students to choose the most appropriate combination for their research, and continues with custom-tailored theory and methods classes to facilitate in-depth research skills for their empirical projects. Teaching and research practica facilitate opportunities to develop teaching, presentation, and publication skills.
- Completed online application form: www.ceu.edu/apply
- Proof of English proficiency
- Letters of recommendation
- Master’s degree in a related field
- Research proposal
- Statement of purpose
Fund your studies
In pursuit of our mission, we strive to attract world-class graduate talent from all over the world. This is why we offer generous scholarships available to students from any country. Doctoral scholarships include a full tuition waiver and a monthly stipend for living expenses. Learn more at www.ceu.edu/financialaid.
Study in Vienna
Apply now and be among the first to study at our new campus in Vienna! Did you know that the Austrian capital has been ranked as the world's “most livable city” for ten years in a row? Find out more about CEU in Vienna at www.ceu.edu/vienna.