Photos of university / #uniofeastanglia
The LLB Law with American Law degree recognises the importance of the US in modern legal and commercial life. It presents an outstanding opportunity for students in two ways. First, students have the opportunity to study the US legal system and its foundations, the importance of the constitution and its role in modern US society and the role of lawyers in the US.
Second, students spend a year studying alongside US law students at a leading law school in the United States. At the end of the four year degree not only will students obtain an English qualifying law degree they will also have a very good understanding of the US and its legal system.
The LLB Law with American Law degree offers a unique opportunity to study law with a transatlantic dimension. This is a unique programme offered by a UK Law School. You will cover all the compulsory English law modules whilst also acquiring an understanding of the US and its legal system.
Detailed Course FactsApplication deadline You are advised to apply as early as possible Tuition fee
- EUR 10550 Year (EEA)
- EUR 14400 Year (Non-EEA)
UK/EU Students: £9,000. International Students: £12,300Start date September 2015 Credits (ECTS) 240 ECTS
Duration full-time 48 months Languages Take an IELTS test
First and Second Year:
- A distinctive feature of this programme is that we offer specific training in American law during your first two years at the University of East Anglia. You will take compulsory English law subjects alongside American law modules specifically tailored to the course.
- The subjects you will cover include the US legal system and its foundations, the importance of the constitution and its role in modern US society and the role of lawyers in the US.
- The year abroad is spent at a leading US Law School. At present you may attend South Texas College of Law in Houston, Texas; Cumberland School of Law at Samford University, Alabama; or the Brandeis School of Law at the University of Louisville in Kentucky. While you are required to pass the year abroad, the marks do not contribute to your final degree classification.
- The final year is spent at the University of East Anglia. You will take the remaining compulsory English law module alongside optional modules offered by the Law School and the University.
Assessment on the LLB Law with American Law is by a mixture of examinations and coursework. Some optional modules are assessed entirely by coursework while others include seen, pre-release or open book exams. In addition, students are encouraged to submit non-assessed coursework regularly throughout the year, providing an opportunity for written feedback.
Students spend their third year of study at a US Law School. The Law School has links with three prestigious and well-established US Law Schools: South Texas College of Law in Houston, Cumberland School of Law at Samford University Alabama, and the Brandeis School of Law at the University of Louisville in Kentucky.
Accommodation in the US is arranged by the host Schools. Students must pay the cost of this. As a rough guide the cost of living for a student living on campus in Louisville this year was $7,000 for the whole year.
English Language Requirements
IELTS band : 6.5 TOEFL iBT® test : 88
To study at this university, you have to speak English. We advice you totake an IELTS test. More About IELTS
Candidates will be expected to have 3 A levels (see below for typical offer).
Candidates with equivalent qualifications to the A level requirement are encouraged to apply (eg International Baccalaureate; Access to Higher Education certificate). International candidates are also actively encouraged to access the University's International section of our website.
Students should also have 5 GCSEs including English (grade C) and Mathematics (grade C).
Students for whom English is a Foreign language
We welcome applications from students from all academic backgrounds. We require evidence of proficiency in English (including writing, speaking, listening and reading). Recognised English Language qualifications include:
- IELTS: 6.5 overall (minimum 6.0 in all components)
- TOEFL: Internet-based score of 88 overall (minimum 18 in the Listening and Writing components; 19 in the Reading component; and 21 in the Speaking component)
- PTE: 62 overall with minimum 55 in all components
If you do not meet the University's entry requirements, our INTO Language Learning Centre offers a range of university preparation courses to help you develop the high level of academic and English skills necessary for successful undergraduate study.
Special Entry Requirements
Visiting Students Visiting Students who wish to participate in an erasmus exchange with the Law School should follow the application procedures laid down by their own University.
Those who wish to come to the University of East Anglia as Visiting Students who belong to Universities with which UEA does not have an exchange agreement should follow the instructions on the non-erasmus visiting students webpage.
No work experience is required.
- Academic Excellence Scholarship
"The Academic Excellence Scholarship can provide up to a 50 % reduction in tuition per semester. These scholarships will be renewed if the student maintains superior academic performance during each semester of their 3-year Bachelor programme. The scholarship will be directly applied to the student’s tuition fees."
- Access Bursary
Bursary for UK students all subjects where the variable tuition fee rate is payable.
- Alumni Bursary
Alumni Bursary for UK Undergraduate students
* The scholarships shown on this page are suggestions first and foremost. They could be offered by other organisations than University of East Anglia.