Photos of university / #epflcampus
The Master of Science in Life Sciences and Technology focuses on important aspects of current biomedical research and applied engineering technologies for fields such as Molecular Medicine, Neurosciences and Biocomputational Sciences.
Neurosciences and molecular medicine courses deepen the knowledge acquired during the bachelor such as the understanding of brain function, biological systems, fundamental mechanisms of cancer origins and
infectious diseases. Thus, they give students knowledge related to new therapeutic strategies and associated technological tools to identify new therapeutic targets or biomarkers.
Biocomputing, as its name suggests, is concentrated in biological systems modeling, as well as understanding the various modern computational approaches necessary for the operation of large databases such as those of the human genome.
A Master of Science in Life Sciences and Technology provides a strong foundation for a PhD or a career in research in the pharmaceutical industry. It also opens doors to services and consulting careers in the medtech and biotech industries.
Validation of Orientation requires at least 25 ECTS with Scientific project design in Translational Oncology 5 the same label (A or B) from the “Core courses” and the “Orientations and options” Students must choose at least 3 ECTS in domain C.
- A: Molecular Medicine and Systems Biology
- B: Neurosciences and Neuroengineering
- C: Law or Economics
Students can also opt for a 30 ECTS Minor. Minors recommended with this Master:
- Computational Neurosciences
- Management, Technology, Entrepreneurship
This program includes an 8-week compulsory internship in industry
Core courses 15
- Cancer Biology I A 5
- Cancer Biology II A 5
- Immunology A 5
- Infection Biology A 5
- Neuroscience I: Molecular Neuroscience and Neurodegeneration B 5
- Neuroscience II - Cellular mechanisms of brain function B 5
- Neuroscience III: Behavioral and Cognitive Neuroscience B 5
Microscopy, Imaging and Data analysis 7
- Biomicroscopy I 3
- Data Analysis and Model Classification 4
- Fundamentals of Biomedical Imaging 4
- Image Processing I 3
Scientific thinking 5
- Scientific literature analysis in bioengineering 5
- Scientific literature analysis in cell and developmental biology 5
- Scientific literature analysis in computational molecular biology 5
- Scientific literature analysis in molecular and cancer biology 5
- Scientific literature analysis in Neuroscience 5
- Scientific project design in Drug Discovery 5
- Scientific project design in Integrative Neurosciences 5
- Scientific project design in regenerative medicine and diagnostics 5
- Scientific project design in Synthetic Biology (iGEM) 5
- Scientific project design in Translational Neurosciences 5
- Scientific project design in Translational Oncology 5
Orientations and options 49
- Molecular Medicine and System Biology A
- Neurosciences and Neuroengineering B
- Law, Organization and Economics in LST C
- Advanced Analysis I , II 8
- Advanced principles and Application of Systems Biology A 3
- Biological Modeling of Neural Networks B 4
- BioMEMS 2
- Biomicroscopy II 4
- Biomolecular Structure and Mechanics A 4
- Brain Computer interaction B 3
- Chemical Biology - Tools and Methods 3
- Computational Motor Control B 4
- Diffraction Methods in Structural Biology 4
- Dynamical System Theory for engineers A B 4
- Economics of innovation in the biomedical industry C 3
- Fundamentals of biosensors and electronic biochips 3
- Fundamentals of Neuroengineering B 4
- Genomics and Bioinformatics A 4
- Image Processing II 3
- In Silico Neuroscience B 4
- Introduction au droit et à l'éthique en STV C 3
- Introduction à l’informatique visuelle B 4
- Lab Immersion II 8
- Lab Immersion III 8
- Lab immersion academic (outside EPFL) A and B 22
- Lab immersion in industry A and B 22
- Lab methods: Animal Experimentation A 2
- Lab methods: Bioactive compounds screening A 2
- Lab methods: Biosafety C 3
- Lab methods: Flow Cytometry A 2
- Lab methods: Histology A 2
- Lab methods: Proteomics 2
- Modèles stochastiques pour les communications 6
- Molecular Endocrinology A 3
- Multidisciplinary organization of medtechs/biotechs C 3
- Nanobiotechnology and biophysics 3
- New tools and research strategies in personalized medicine A 4
- Nutrition: from molecules to health A 4
- Pattern Classification and Machine Learning 7
- Pharmacology and Pharmacokinetics A B 5
- Principles and Applications of Systems Biology A 3
- Semester project in Life Sciences & Technology 12
- Sensorimotor Neuroprosthetics B 4
- Sensors in medical instrumentation 3
- Signal Processing for Functional Brain Imaging B 3
- Single cell genomics 4
- Statistical Physics of Biomacromolecules 4
- Stem Cell Biology and Technology A 3
- Understanding statistics and experimental design 4
- Unsupervised and Reinforcement Learning in Neural Networks B 4
- Other accredited courses max. 10
Lab immersion or Industrial internship 8
- Lab Immersion I 8
- Industrial internship in life sciences 8
- Candidates should have a Bachelor’s degree from a reputable university and excellent academic records. The curriculum requires a solid background in sciences and technology, (mathematics, physics, chemistry, signal processing, electronics and electrical systems, computer sciences) biosciences and medical physiology.
- Your resumé (curriculum vitae)
- Copy of your University degree(s) or Bachelor's degree. If you don't have your degree yet, you will bring it to the Registrar's Office upon registration at EPFL*.
- Legalized transcripts from each university you have attended.
- A statement of purpose. See hereunder for a more detailed explanation.
- Three recommendations (except holders of any EPFL Bachelor's degree applying in another field than their original field and except for candidates from another Swiss university applying to a Master in the same field of study as their Bachelor).
During the electronic application process, you will have to give the details of three referees, who will then be requested to produce recommendation letters for you directly to EPFL. See hereunder for a more detailed explanation.
- Your identity card or passport.
- For foreigners who already live in Switzerland: your residence permit.
- Extra documents such as TOEFL or GRE scores, research publications or other portfolios of your previous work, are welcome but not compulsory. We will only consider documents uploaded in your online application form. (No documents sent by postal mail).
- Application fee CHF 150.
- Excellence Fellowships