Photos of university / #sdstatepics
The Medical Laboratory Science program prepares its graduates for employment in hospital or medical laboratories. The curriculum emphasizes basic science, medical laboratory science, critical thinking and communication skills, including structured learning in the laboratories of clinical affiliated laboratories. During the first two years, students complete basic science courses necessary for entrance into the professional clinical program. Upon completion of three semesters, students apply for entrance into the professional component of the major. The professional program consists of on-campus medical laboratory science courses and an off-campus clinical experience. The program provides the scientific background in hematology, immunohematology, urinalysis, phlebotomy, microbiology, immunology, molecular biology, clinical chemistry, and management necessary for a laboratory career.
Program GoalsProvide an educational program within the framework of the University setting in accordance with the Standards of Accredited Programs for the Medical Laboratory Scientist as established by the National Accrediting Agency for Clinical Laboratory Science (NAACLS).Provide adequate numbers of entry-level medical laboratory scientists to meet the workforce needs of the state of South Dakota and surrounding areas.Provide the health care community with quality individuals who are competent to conduct laboratory procedures in large medical facilities and small rural laboratories and who demonstrate positive professional attitudes, ethics and practices.Enabling Objectives
Provide a curriculum that includes a general or liberal education, content specific theory and applications, technical knowledge, professionalism and clinical competence to successfully complete a national registry exam.Assist students in career placement by providing academic and occupational advisement.Instill in students a sense of professionalism, commitment to lifelong learning and academic excellence.Prepare students to successfully enter the health care field as competent entry-level professionals that communicate well, appreciate social diversity and possess a genuine compassion and concern for others.
Detailed Course FactsTuition fee
- USD 7944 Year (National)
- USD 18044 Year (International)
Duration full-time 24 months Languages Take an IELTS test
Course ContentMajor Requirements
- Human Anatomy and Lab (COM) Credits
- Physiology and Lab (COM) Credits
- Introduction to Statistics * (COM) Credits
- Understanding Medical Laboratory Science Credits
- Hematology I and Lab Credits
- Clinical Chemistry I Credits
- Hemostasis Credits
- Diagnostic Microbiology I and Lab Credits
- Advanced Hematology and Hemostasis Lab Credits
- Diagnostic Immunology Credits
- Clinical Chemistry II and Lab Credits
- Laboratory Methods and Lab Credits
- Principles of Immunohematology and Lab Credits
- Diagnostic Microbiology II and Lab Credits
- Immunohematology II and Lab Credits
- Introduction to Management and Education (AW) Credits
- Advanced Medical Diagnostics and Lab Credits
- Molecular Diagnostics Clinical Practice Credits
- Chemistry, Urinalysis and Body Fluid Analysis Clinical Practice Credits
- Hematology and Hemostasis Clinical Practice Credits
- Senior Capstone Clinical Practice Credits
- Clinical Immunohematology Clinical Practice Credits
- Diagnostic Microbiology Clinical Practice Credits
- Phlebotomy Clinical Practice Credits
English Language Requirements
IELTS band : 5.5 TOEFL paper-based test score : 550 TOEFL iBT® test : 61
To study at this university, you have to speak English. We advice you totake an IELTS test. More About IELTS
Bachelor of Science
No work experience is required.
- Academic Excellence Scholarship
"The Academic Excellence Scholarship can provide up to a 50 % reduction in tuition per semester. These scholarships will be renewed if the student maintains superior academic performance during each semester of their 3-year Bachelor programme. The scholarship will be directly applied to the student’s tuition fees."
- Alumni Study Travel Fund
Scholarships for students who are already attending the University of Reading.
- Amsterdam Merit Scholarships
The University of Amsterdam aims to attract the world’s brightest students to its international classrooms. Outstanding students from outside the European Economic Area can apply for an Amsterdam Merit Scholarship.
* The scholarships shown on this page are suggestions first and foremost. They could be offered by other organisations than South Dakota State University.