Photos of university / #telavivuni
In the complex world of contemporary politics it is necessary to understand not just theories of politics and communication, but also the fusion of those theories and their practical applications. This is especially true in democratic states, where leaders have to orchestrate “permanent campaigns” in order to maintain the sympathy of the public in a reality full of of global and local challenges. The one-year M.A. Political Science & Political Communication program explores these themes and more, offering students the opportunity to advance their knowledge and understanding of the practical dimensions of politics.
This excellent English-taught graduate program provides students with a deep and comprehensive knowledge of the dynamics and complexities of politics in the global age. Students come from all over the world and are encouraged to take up internships and other extra-curricular activities during an exciting year stay in Israel. The Political Science Department stands out in the study of political theories, political leadership, political communication, electoral systems and behavior and is the home of the Israel National Election Studies.
The program provides students with advanced knowledge, understanding, and tools of analysis in a world characterized by growing fusion between politics and communication. The program provides a broad, comparative, perspective of the challenges of leaders in the communicative age, and their relations with voters' expectations throughout their term and especially during election times.
Educational tours and meetings with political leaders, prominent journalists, and election specialists are incorporated into the curriculum.
- Introduction to Leaders and Citizens: Balancing Expectations in Democracies
- Introduction to Political Communication
- Introduction to Politics
- Elections, Voters and Leaders
- Research Methods
- Theories of Political Leadership & Communication
- Political Economy in the Global Age
- Democratization, Leadership, Electoral Campaigns and Global Challenges
- Sites of Conflict and Political Horizons - Study tours
Elective Courses and Seminars
- The students will choose 3 elective courses from the following list (not all courses will be offered each year). Each course 3 hours per semester, altogether 9 hours per semester.
- Public Diplomacy and Propaganda
- Populist leadership in Fascist, Marxist and Democratic regimes
- Media, War and Peace
- Campaigns, Politics and Elections
- Cyber Warfare
Optional Thesis Track
Students who wish and are qualified to write a thesis are invited to do so. This in an independent research work of approximately 15,000-20,000 words exploring a subject / research question. In order to qualify for acceptance, a student is required to finish the first semester with an average of at least 86 in the core courses. In addition, the student needs to make contact with one of the faculty members listed in the program’s web site and get his/her acceptance to guide the writing of the thesis on an approved topic. The student will be required to enroll for a fourth semester (extra tuition of 5,000$). An extension of two additional semesters beyond that semester (500$ each semester) will be granted if necessary.
- Copy of bachelor’s degree diploma
- Official transcripts from all higher education institutions you have attended.General GPA requirement of 80 on a scale of 100, 3.0 on a scale of 4.0, or C on the ECTS scale. These are approximate and candidates with other strengths are also encouraged to apply.o If your transcripts are not written in English, you will need to acquire a translated copy which will need to be notarized for authenticity.
- Two letters of recommendation, from academic and/or professional sources
- Personal essay
- Your TOEFL or IELTS exam scores, if your native language is not English or your previous academic degree was not taught in English.Minimum TOEFL requirements: 573 on the paper based test; 230 on the computer based test; and 89 on the internet based test. The University's Code is 7704.Minimum IELTS requirements: Overall Band Score of 7.0.
- $100 USD application fee, payable by credit card or bank transfer.
- One passport sized photo
- A Health Declaration (to be filled out by the applicant) and a Medical Form (to be filled out by a licensed doctor). Medical form is not mandatory while an applicant's file is marked as 'Under Review,' but is highly suggested to be sent in as soon as possible.