Upon successful completion of this program students will be able to:
- Describe the nature of psychology as a discipline
- Describe the basic characteristics of the scientific method as it applies to psychology
- Follow the APA Code of Ethics in the treatment of human and nonhuman participants in the design, data collection, interpretation, and reporting of psychological research.
- Seek and evaluate scientific evidence for psychological claims.
- Understand the values in psychology
- Learn how to implement psychological knowledge, skills and values in occupational pursuits in a variety of settings.
As a result of completing this program, students should have acquired the following skills and values:
- Effective writing and oral communication skills,
- Effective interpersonal communication skills and personal development,
- Quantitative and qualitative literacy,
- Socio-cultural and international awareness.
The program in psychology is both rigorous and flexible, offering a solid background for a number of subsequent career and educational choices. For those students who plan to join the workforce directly, this degree provides a solid fundament for a host of specializations in the field of Psychology.
Students who complete the NYC/Empire State College undergraduate program can follow many career options such as (to name a few), human services specialists, personnel analysts, psychologists-psychotherapists, psychometric development specialists and counselors.
Detailed Course Facts
Tuition fee Not specified Start date October 2015 Duration full-time 48 months Languages Take an IELTS test
Delivery mode On Campus Educational variant Full-time
Most bachelor's degree programs are designed to require 4 academic years of full-time study.
All psychology major students, upon completion of their studies, they receive the Graduate Basis of Registration from BPS (British Psychology Society) which allows them to apply to graduate programs in Psychology which are only for Charted licensed psychologists. The graduate program at NYC prepares students to continue further graduate studies in any of the above specializations but also in many other fields.
Further Study Options
At New York College: Graduates of our BA in Psychology program are accepted by most MA or/and MSc programs offered at New York College. Most students choose to combine work with further study by choosing our MA in Counseling Psychology offered by LaSalle University. An MBA program is also on offer for those students who choose to combine business along with the study of science.
At Institutions Abroad: The entry qualifications for graduate studies differ from university to university; however the SUNY/Empire State College degree is accepted by most universities in the U.S. and ALMOST all in the U.K. COMPETITIVE universities, in addition to the degree itself, usually require a GPA of 3.0 or higher. If you are interested in pursuing opportunities for study abroad, you are encouraged to contact your advisor early on your studies, while, additionally our Student Affairs Department can assist you in coming in contact with our alumni who have continued their studies abroad and who would be pleased to share their experiences with you.
English Language Requirements
IELTS band : 6
To study at this university, you have to speak English. We advice you to take an IELTS test.
The admissions process involves a comprehensive review of your academic background, test scores, application essay, recommendations, and activities both in school and in your community.
All candidates for undergraduate admission must submit the following:
- Application for Admission to Undergraduate Study
- Personal statement/essay
- Two letters of recommendation
- Official high school transcripts
- Official transcripts of all college work, including non-credit course work, if any, and for transfer students.
- International students should consult the International Students section.
English Language Requirement
Students are required to have a good standard of English before starting any program. For students whose native language is not English, NYC requires a minimum of TOEFL score of 197 (computer based test), IELTS 6.0, or a recognized equivalent.
All non-native English speakers who do not possess any of the above-mentioned certificates, will be required to take an English language placement test, which is offered at NYC free of charge.
Students that have attained Cambridge Proficiency or TOEFL score of 197 or higher are exempt from the placement test and may enroll full-time.
No work experience is required.
- Academic Excellence Scholarship
"The Academic Excellence Scholarship can provide up to a 50 % reduction in tuition per semester. These scholarships will be renewed if the student maintains superior academic performance during each semester of their 3-year Bachelor programme. The scholarship will be directly applied to the student’s tuition fees."
- Alumni Study Travel Fund
Scholarships for students who are already attending the University of Reading.
- Amsterdam Merit Scholarships
The University of Amsterdam aims to attract the world’s brightest students to its international classrooms. Outstanding students from outside the European Economic Area can apply for an Amsterdam Merit Scholarship.
* The scholarships shown on this page are suggestions first and foremost. They could be offered by other organisations than New York College.