The Graduate Program offers a wide range of courses, which reflect the facultys varied interests and critical perspectives. Students are encouraged to undertake interdisciplinary research projects, which may have more than one theoretical focus. Our graduate faculty is research active, and the cordial intellectual climate within the department is reflected in the steady participation in conferences, symposia and research publication. In addition to the intellectual aspect, our program makes a solid commitment to all students in the area of professional development, so that they will be well versed in knowledge of the profession and the skills needed to be an active and participating member in it.
As our TAs gain teaching experience, they are given the opportunity to teach higher-level undergraduate courses, both in language and in literature. Student progress throughout the program is carefully monitored, so that their time to degree is consonant with their individual research program. In the recent past, our PhDs have been offered tenure-track positions at SUNY-Oneonta, University of Memphis, University of Minnesota - Morris, Saint Lawrence University, Hanover College, Bowdoin College, Florida International University, University of Utah, Shippensburg University, and Bates College. We actively recruit students through our web page as well as university-funded recruitment trips. Our graduate student population is comprised of native born U.S. citizens, as well as citizens of many countries of the Spanish-speaking world and the rest of Europe. Approximately half of our current faculty and graduate students are native Spanish speakers.
Ph.D. Spanish Literature
PhD option in Bilingualism and Second Language Acquisition (SLA): * Methodology of Teaching
* Introduction to the Study of Bilingualism and Second Language Acquisition
* Research methods
* Linguistic Theories of Bilingualism
* Second Language Acquisition
* Spanish Syntax
* The Spanish Language in Social Contexts
* Quantitative Research Methods
* Two Personal Statements (one in English and one in Spanish)
* Two sets of official transcripts from each postsecondary institution attended
* Three letters of recommendation
* GRE scores
* TOEFL is required for non-native speakers of English
English Language RequirementsTOEFL paper-based test score : 550 TOEFL iBT® test: 79
All first year PhD students are supported by departmental or university fellowships or graduate assistantships, which provide stipend, tuition remission, and sometimes student fees for the first year.After the first year, students will be supported by their advisors through fellowships and graduate assistantships.
There are also a number of multi-year fellowships available for advanced students through NSF and NIH training programs. BME also has a limited number of teaching assistantships for graduate students who demonstrate outstanding teaching skills.
The Rutgers name is recognized everywhere, and a Rutgers degree makes a great first impression. Weve built our academic reputation on solid accomplishments:
* Rutgers is a memberso are Harvard, Yale, and Berkeleyof the prestigious Association of American Universities, the 61 leading research universities in North America.
* More than 175 Rutgers research centers support pioneering work in stem cells, climate change, DNA analysis, and more.
* Rutgers international reputation draws top students from more than 130 countries and all 50 states.