The Urban Systems core curriculum provides a strong background in the history and social organization of U.S. cities, while the Urban Health core examines the complex interrelationships among social, cultural, political, economic, geographic, organizational, and bioenvironmental factors that influence the health status and health behaviors of urban populations.
The Urban Health faculty is committed to training students who can make a difference, and seek to educate doctoral students who will be capable of conducting independent research that has a strong potential to improve the health of individuals in the nation's cities.
* Urban Systems I: History and Future of the Metropolis
* Urban Systems II: Urban Populations
* Urban Systems III: Cities in World Perspective
* Determinants & Consequences of Urban Health
* The Good City
* Urban Education Systems
* Qualitative Methods
* Quantitative Methods
* Advanced Statistics
* Social and Cultural Construction of Health
* Urban Health Systems: History, Structure & Challenge
* Urban Health Policy & Program Evaluation
* Completed Application to the PhD Program in Urban Systems. Official transcripts of all prior academic work. Three letters of recommendation (faculty preferred), Written Statement of Purpose. (Include your research interests), Interview (Optional).
* GRE or its equivalent (e.g., MCAT, GMAT, DAT, or other acceptable examination). Inquiries regarding the substitution of other examinations should be addressed to the Program Director. TOEFL is required for international students and all students whose first language is not English.
English Language RequirementsTOEFL paper-based test score : 550
All first year PhD students are supported by departmental or university fellowships or graduate assistantships, which provide stipend, tuition remission, and sometimes student fees for the first year.After the first year, students will be supported by their advisors through fellowships and graduate assistantships.
There are also a number of multi-year fellowships available for advanced students through NSF and NIH training programs. BME also has a limited number of teaching assistantships for graduate students who demonstrate outstanding teaching skills.
The Rutgers name is recognized everywhere, and a Rutgers degree makes a great first impression. Weve built our academic reputation on solid accomplishments:
* Rutgers is a memberso are Harvard, Yale, and Berkeleyof the prestigious Association of American Universities, the 61 leading research universities in North America.
* More than 175 Rutgers research centers support pioneering work in stem cells, climate change, DNA analysis, and more.
* Rutgers international reputation draws top students from more than 130 countries and all 50 states.