The PhD in Nutrition, Exercise and Food Sciences will prepare graduates for careers as researchers in healthcare settings, government, industry, corporations, and universites.
MissionWe are dedicated to improving quality of life regionally, nationally, and globally by fostering life long learners, conducting innovative science, and delivering effective outreach in the areas of health and nutrition.
VisionWe aim to provide premier leadership in health and nutritional sciences dedicated to excellence in learning, discovery, and outreach.
ValuesAs a department we value:
The research and teaching emphasizes molecular and biochemical nutrition, nutrigenomics, epidemiology, nutrition issues in developing countries, obesity prevention and behavior nutrition.
Each university in the Unites States of America sets its own admission standards so there isn't the same criteria for all the students and the university can decide which applicants meet those standards. The fee for each application is between $35 to $100.
After the selections of the universities you want to attend, the best of all would be to contact each university for an application form and more admission information for the international students. Moreover, for a graduate or postgraduate program it's necessary to verify the admission requirements. Some programs require that you send your application directly to their department.
Admissions decisions are based on students's academic record and different test scores, such as TOEFL, the SAT or ACT (for undergraduate programs) and GRE or GMAT (for graduate programs). Admission decision is based on your academic results and motivation.
* Letters of recommendation
* Goal Statement
* Curriculum Vitae
* Graduate Record Examination (GRE)
* The following programs require the GRE for admission: Agronomy; Biology; Electrical Engineering; Geospatial Science and Engineering, Microbiology; Pharmaceutical Sciences; and Wildlife and Fisheries (highly recommended).
* GRE scores must be sent directly to the Graduate School from ETS. Contact ETS for more information about the GRE test
English Language Requirements
IELTS band: 6 TOEFL paper-based test score : 550 TOEFL iBT® test: 80
Financial aid for students is becoming more important for students, and the Department appreciates the generosity of our alumni and friends that make these scholarships possible. Some of the scholarships available to our students are listed below: * Ethel Austin Martin Scholarship
* Dr. S.K. Dash Scholarship in Food Science and Nutrition
* Jason and Rachel Flaskey Scholarship in Education and Human Sciences
* Carroll (Svanda '61) Borland , and in Memory of Theodore J. and Anna Svanda Endowed Scholarship
* Darling Dietetics Scholarship
* Alma Nelson Scholarship in Dietetics
* Robert and Madeleine Rose Scholarship Albert and Edna Thompson Scholarship in Nutrition & Food Sciences
* Helen Jean Kattelmann Memorial Scholarship in Dietetics
* Luetta and Merle Ferwerda Memorial Scholarship in Dietetics
* Merry Ann DeVaney Sauls Scholarship in Nutrition & Food Science
* Waneta Holscher Scholarship in Dietetics
* South Dakota Dietetic Association Scholarship
* Mark Amundson and Margaret Schmidt Amundson Athletic Training Scholarship
* Jim and Kathy Booher Scholarship in Athletic Training
* Sister Janice Iverson Scholarship in Education and Human Sciences
* Warren E. Williamson Scholarship in Intramural Sports
* Tracey Kruger Nutrition, Food Science and Hospitality Scholarship
* Robert Chamberlin Scholarship in Nutrition and Food Science
* Jim Emmerich Scholarship Fund Bill Hennrich Scholarship
* Sister Janice Iverson Scholarship in HPER
* Warren E. Williamson Scholarship in Recreation Administration
* Friends of Athletic Training Scholarship
* Marilyn A. Swanson Scholarship in Nutrition & Food Science & Hospitality
* Louise Guild Scholarship in Nutrition
* Adela Dolney Graduate Award for Advanced Nutrition Studies
* Dean Johnson Scholarship in Public Recreation
* Matthew and Colleen Vukovich Scholarship
South Dakota State University has been granted the full, ten-year reaccreditation by the Higher Learning Commission. An accreditation team of representatives from peer institutions commended SDSU for:
* Dedicated faculty and staff
* Quality new facilities
* Excellent student leadership
* Shared governance
* Partnerships with local community
* Robust and Integrated assessment program
* Successful transition to NCAA Division I Athletics