Students who successfully complete this 48-credit hour specialization will earn a Master of Science in Counseling and Human Resource Development specializing in Rehabilitation and Mental Health Counseling. Upon successful completion of the core requirements, and those of the Rehabilitation and Mental Health Counseling emphasis, and with successful completion of the comprehensive written and oral examinations, graduates are endorsed as having constructed appropriate entry level knowledge and as having met appropriate skill acquisition to be recognized as professional rehabilitation and mental health counselors. Students in this emphasis are also responsible for having taken supporting area courses which supplement or enhance their chosen specialty.
* meet the growing needs and diverse challenges of consumers with physical and psychiatric disabilities; prepare qualified counselors for careers with federal, state, and private agencies;
* meet anticipated work force needs in the growing rehabilitation and mental health counseling field; and
* provide field experience and internships to develop professional counseling skills.
Student Learning Outcomes
Upon successful completion of the course requirements for a MS in CHRD specializing in Rehabilitation and Mental Health Counseling, students will:
* acquire a sound, basic education in rehabilitation;
* develop the lifelong habit of updating skills and professionalism;
* develop a commitment to assist individuals with disabilities in using their own resources and opportunities to meet their developmental, vocational, and educational needs;
* nourish a commitment to individual human values;
* exercise skills and competencies on a high ethical level and with personal integrity;
* maintain a critical, questioning, and exploratory attitude; and
* contribute to the profession by offering suggestions to educators and researchers with the overall goal of improving practice in the rehabilitation profession in general and in the specific area of professional application. Students should also be personally committed to the field of rehabilitation who can provide effective services to individuals with disabilities, including individuals with severe disabilities.
* Students are encouraged to contribute to the advancement of knowledge in the field of rehabilitation through research and the demonstrated application of significant findings.
* Introduction to Professional Issues and Ethics
* Research and Evaluation in Counseling and Human Development
* Developmental Issues in Counseling
* Theories of Counseling
* Professional Issues and Ethics II
* Multicultural Counseling and Human Relations
* Appraisal of the Individual
* Career Counseling and Planning
* Group Counseling
* Counseling Practicum
* Overview of Rehabilitation and Mental Health Counseling
* Medical and Psychological Aspects of Disability
* Case Management Principles and Plan Development
Each university in the Unites States of America sets its own admission standards so there isn't the same criteria for all the students and the university can decide which applicants meet those standards. The fee for each application is between $35 to $100.
After the selections of the universities you want to attend, the best of all would be to contact each university for an application form and more admission information for the international students. Moreover, for a graduate or postgraduate program it's necessary to verify the admission requirements. Some programs require that you send your application directly to their department.
Admissions decisions are based on students's academic record and different test scores, such as TOEFL, the SAT or ACT (for undergraduate programs) and GRE or GMAT (for graduate programs). Admission decision is based on your academic results and motivation.
SDSU offers a variety of academic scholarships. Awards are based on academic achievement, activities participation and leadership.
The Master of Education specialization in Administration of Student Affairs meets the guidelines of the Council for the Advancement of Standards in Higher Education (CAS).
The Master of Science in CHRD specializing in Clinical Mental Health Counseling, School Counseling, and College Counseling is accredited by the Council for Accreditation of Counseling and Related Educational Programs (CACREP).
The Master of Science in CHRD specializing in Rehabilitation and Mental Health Counseling is accredited by the the Council on Rehabilitation Education (CORE).