Photos of university / #lifeatkings
* Dentistry at Kings is a renowned centre of international excellence for teaching and research.
* Pioneers of teaching dentistry through a blended learning approach with over 20 years experience.
* Face-to-face training in years one & two, to learn and master latest techniques.
* Delivered by a team of highly specialised academic and non academic clinicians, many of whom are world-leaders in their field.
* Face to face training in year two to learn and master latest techniques.
* Contributes towards continuing professional development (CPD).
* Opportunity to network with other Distance Learning students in the UK and abroad, who are enrolled in the various specialties offered.
The programme provides the latest evidence-based knowledge in Minimum Intervention care and minimally invasive tooth tissue preserving operative dentistry. It enables participants to integrate this patient care and oral health philosophy with suitable marketing and practice management strategies, into their general or private practice. It will develop team-care practice skills using DCPs where appropriate alongside other aspects of restorative dentistry and encourages practice-based research, with a hope to setting up UK or international clinical research networks.
Offered in response to the dental professions push towards a minimum intervention, preventive approach to caring for patients' oral health in both general and private practice, both in the UK and abroad, this unique and comprehensive flexible learning programme is designed for oral health care providers (dentist and/or DCP).
AMID MSc aims to develop and enhance Minimum Intervention preventive and clinical tooth-preserving operative, patient and practice management skills enabling a fully integrated, patient-centred, team care approach to future oral health care. This will maximise the clinical and financial potential of your dental practice. Learn about and use in daily practice, the latest minimally invasive remineralising and tooth preserving operative technologies and adhesive restorative materials and techniques to prevent, manage and treat dental disease aesthetically in your patients.
This is a three-year programme leading to an MSc in Advanced Minimum Intervention Dentistry (AMID). The curriculum includes the scientific basis of Cariology and disease pathology; detection, diagnosis, risk assessment and care planning for patients with complex dental health problems; prevention and control management strategies (including remineralisation) for patient groups and individuals; developing targeted marketing strategies to promote your practice and the MI care philosophy to patients using the latest social media frameworks; practice and business management skills; minimally invasive tooth preserving aesthetic clinical treatment of patients with caries and other restorative or aesthetic problems, and learning research methodology to enable completion of a useful practice-based research project.
The mode of delivery is Distance Learning, which combines online and face-to-face components, enabling practitioners to remain in clinical practice while training. This ensures no loss of income or work experience and establishes practice using skills learned on the programme. The course has been designed to provide theory, support and discussion groups by online training using a dedicated virtual learning environment to provide access to content wherever students are in the world. It is hoped that other dental team members will be encouraged to participate in the programme at certificate or diploma level, in due course.
The Masters will be facilitated and taught by a world-renowned, expert team of clinical academics and practising clinicians based in the UK and internationally, led by Prof Avijit Banerjee. The course has support from several leading dental industry companies, who may be able to facilitate the provision of relevant dental materials and equipment for use in dental practices throughout the duration of the programme.
The Unit of Distance Learning at KCL consists of a team of highly experienced administrative and support staff dedicated to providing support to students. Combined with the use of a comprehensive online education delivery system, this allows students to interact continually with staff and colleagues, thus enhancing their learning experience.
To facilitate further access and understanding, the content is structured in units & modules, and will be delivered mainly via the recognized and user-friendly multimedia structure of King's College London, allowing participants the flexibility of studying in their own time, with minimal disruption to their usual routines whilst enjoying the same level of educational support provided in our conventional in-house courses.
Partial completion or early exit may result in the award of a Postgraduate Certificate or Postgraduate Diploma.
Intensive Face-to-Face CourseThe course will feature two intensive face-to-face internships in year one (five days) and year two (seven days) of the programme, in London, when the participants will receive hands-on clinical training under expert supervision. LonDEC and facilities at KCL Dental Institute at Guys Hospital provide delegates with some of the finest state-of-the-art dental teaching facilities available in the UK and Europe.
Core programme contentYear 1
* Basic and advanced practice management
* e-marketing your dental practice
* Accessing your patients through enhanced communication skills and social media enterprises
* MI philosophy, ethics and medico-legal considerations / clinical record keeping-photography
* Clinical Cariology detection & diagnosis, risk assessment, non-operative prevention and control strategies for the practice and the patient
* Research methods
* Minimally invasive tooth preserving operative caries management practical techniques and their clinical implementation
* Contemporary adhesive dental materials science and application
* MI tooth preserving operative procedures in Restorative Dentistry / aesthetics
* Practice-based case portfolios
* Dissertation practice-based research
Fees have undergone a simplification process aimed at providing a total price for a whole years tuition. In previous years, face-to-face course fees were charged in addition to annual tuition fees, which caused confusion. The new fee covers all tuition fees, including face-to-face fees. Students will still need to fund accommodation, travel and meals for their face-to-face courses. We think this provide a clearer picture of the final cost of the programme and will allow students to plan accordingly. Self-funded. See the King's Student Funding Office website for any available funding opportunities.
* one of the top 20 universities in the world (2013-4 QS international world rankings)
* the Sunday Times Best University for Graduate Employment 2012-3
* the fourth oldest university in England
* research-led and based in the heart of London.
Kings has over 26,000 students (including more than 10,600 postgraduates) from 140 countries and over 7,000 employees.
Kings provides world-class teaching and cutting-edge research:
* In the 2008 Research Assessment Exercise for British universities, 23 departments ranked in the top 25 per cent of British universities.
* Over half of our academic staff work in departments that are in the top 10 per cent in the UK.
* The College is in the top seven UK universities for research earnings with an overall annual income of nearly £587 million.
Kings has a distinguished reputation in:
* the humanities
* the sciences, including health areas such as psychiatry, medicine, nursing and dentistry
* social sciences, including international affairs.
King's is in The Complete University Guide's Top Ten for:
* Anatomy & Physiology - 6th
* Biological Sciences - 9th
* Classics & Ancient History - 9th
* Dentistry - 2nd
* Drama, Dance & Cinematics - 6th
* Education - 2nd
* Food Science - 1st
* French - 8th
* Geography & Environmental Science - 10th
* History - 9th
* Law - 8th
* Music - 7th
* Nursing - 10th
* Philosophy - 6th
* Physiotherapy - 5th.
Kings has influenced many of the advances that shape modern life, such as:
* the discovery of the structure of DNA
* research that led to the development of radio, television, mobile phones and radar
* being the largest centre for the education of healthcare professionals in Europe.