Photos of university / #kingstonuniversity
Choose Kingston's Art Market Appraisal MA
If you are interested in developing a career in the art market, this course is ideal. It offers a unique mix of academic tuition and exposure to London's huge and dynamic art market. Accredited by the Royal Institution of Chartered Surveyors (RICS), the course leads to entry to the RICS as probationary member.
What will you study?
With an emphasis on understanding how the art market functions, you will be introduced to a wide range of businesses, collections and professionals. You will also study the economic and legal contexts within which professional practice is grounded, and gain the ability to apply techniques related to the valuation of objects in a practice environment. You will have the opportunity to develop your knowledge of a particular specialist area of the art market, which may include anything from antiquities to cutting-edge contemporary art.
Essays, seminar papers and presentations, case studies, major research-based project or dissertation, presentation of a conference paper at the annual masters conference.
Please note that this is an indicative list of modules and is not intended as a definitive list. Those listed here may also be a mixture of core and optional modules.
* Art and Law
* Professional Practice of Valuation
* History of the Art Market
* Conference Paper
* Research Concepts for the Arts Appraiser
* Research Proposal for Dissertation
Learn a language
You will have the opportunity to study a foreign language, free of charge, during your time at the University as part of the Kingston Language Scheme. Options currently include: Arabic, French, German, Italian, Japanese, Mandarin and Spanish.
What this course offers you
* This unique postgraduate course provides entry into the arts market appraisal industry. It is accredited by the Royal Institution of Chartered Surveyors(RICS).
* Optional modules mean you can tailor the course to your own interests. The dissertation allows you to further focus on an area of particular interest and gain valuable research skills.
* You have the chance to undertake site visits, including an overseas study trip, to supplement your learning (read more in the Links with business and industrysection).
* You can also take advantage of the University's on-site galleries (read more in theFacilities section).
* Many members of staff are research active or professional practitioners, which keeps your learning cutting-edge (read more in the Research areas section).
* You also benefit from the input of leading practitioners in the field.
* The taught modules aim to hone your professional skills. Alongside your academic studies, you improve your skills in: * problem solving and organisation;
* data collation, review and synopsis;
* communication (oral, written and electronic);
* time management;
* computing; and
* co-operation and teamwork.
* We offer a part-time study option to help you fit your MA around other commitments.
How we work with professional bodies
Many of our courses are accredited by independent professional bodies which could enhance your career prospects. Accreditation for this course is detailed below.
The Art Market Appraisal MA is accredited by the Royal Institution of Chartered Surveyors (RICS) for entry as a probationer practitioner.