Bioenvironmental engineers solve human-related environmental issues by employing the principles of engineering and biotechnology along with the physical, chemical and biological sciences. Their efforts largely encompass initiatives to improve public health, recycling and waste disposal, water and air pollution, and other issues plaguing todays natural environment.The BE program at Rutgers gives students a broad and multi-disciplinary education in the fundamentals of bioenvironmental engineering as well as proactive learning opportunities to utilize classroom learning in applications and design. The program offers a wide range of courses to help students understand the impact of engineering solutions in a global, economic, environmental, and societal context. In order to successfully complete the program, students must actively engage in collecting, analyzing and interpreting data and must demonstrate methodological and computer skills. Students also graduate with the ability to effectively communicate complex issues both orally and in writing.
Detailed Course FactsApplication deadline February, October Tuition fee
- USD 13683 Year (National)
- USD 27978 Year (International)
Four-Year Curriculum:Sophomore Year:
- General Biology or Principles of Biology
- Multivariable Calculus
- Analytical Physics IIA
- Analytical Physics II Laboratory
- Engineering Graphics
- Mechanics of Solids
- Differential Equations for Engineering and Physics
- Physical Principles of Environmental Sciences
- Elements of Electrical Engineering
- Engineering Mechanics: Dynamics
- general elective
- Elementary Organic Chemistry
- Elementary Organic Chemistry Laboratory
- Biological Principles of Environmental Sciences
- Chemical Principles of Environmental Sciences
- Fluid Mechanics
- Fluid Mechanics Laboratory
- Introduction to Microeconomics
- Unit Processes in Bioenvironmental Engineering I
- Bioenvironmental Engineering Unit Processes Laboratory I
- Environmental Fate and Transport or Environmental Transport Phenomena
- Unit Processes in Bioenvironmental Engineering II
- Bioenvironmental Engineering Unit Processes Laboratory II
- Air Pollution Engineering
- Bioenvironmental Engineering Design I
- Numerical Methods in Environmental Sciences or 300-400 level statistics
- Water and Wastewater Engineering
- Design of Solid Waste Treatment Systems
- Hazardous Waste Treatment Engineering
- Bioenvironmental Engineering Design II
The five-year, dual-degree program in bioenvironmental engineering is offered by the School of Engineering in cooperation with the School of Environmental and Biological Sciences (SEBS). This program allows a greater depth of specialization at the undergraduate level than can be achieved by completing the four-year program.
Students in the five-year program apply to SEBS, under whose jurisdiction they remain for the first two years. Assuming satisfactory progress, the students come under the academic jurisdiction of the School of Engineering for the remaining three years of the program. However, the students continue to affiliate with SEBS and must select humanities/social sciences electives to satisfy SEBS requirements. Four-year bioenvironmental engineering majors may apply to SEBS for transfer to the dual-degree, five-year program at any time prior to their fourth year.
English Language Requirements
IELTS band : 6.5 TOEFL paper-based test score : 550 TOEFL iBT® test : 79
To study at this university, you have to speak English. We advice you totake an IELTS test. More About IELTS
Our primary emphasis is placed on the students academic promise as demonstrated by:
- completion of required entrance subjects
- academic performance in high school or its equivalent:
- strength of academic program (number/type of academic, honors, or advanced placement courses completed)
- grades and grade trends
- weighted grade-point average(s)
- cumulative rank, when available
- SAT and/or ACT scores
- English Proficiency Examination results, when required
No work experience is required.
- Academic Excellence Scholarship
"The Academic Excellence Scholarship can provide up to a 50 % reduction in tuition per semester. These scholarships will be renewed if the student maintains superior academic performance during each semester of their 3-year Bachelor programme. The scholarship will be directly applied to the student’s tuition fees."
- Alumni Study Travel Fund
Scholarships for students who are already attending the University of Reading.
- Amsterdam Merit Scholarships
The University of Amsterdam aims to attract the world’s brightest students to its international classrooms. Outstanding students from outside the European Economic Area can apply for an Amsterdam Merit Scholarship.
* The scholarships shown on this page are suggestions first and foremost. They could be offered by other organisations than Rutgers, The State University of New Jersey.
Rutgers uses your FAFSA to develop a financial-aid package based on your qualifications, financial need and the funds available to the university. Your package may include any or a combination of these major financial aid sources:
- Gift aid does not require repayment and is divided into three categories: grants (which recognize financial need) and scholarships and awards (which recognize academic merit, special talents, or other achievements).
- Loans must be repaid (usually after graduation) and can come from private lenders as well as federal, state and university sources.
- Work-study allows students to earn money for college expenses while gaining valuable skills - often in their intended field.
The degree awarded upon completion of this program is the B.S. in bioenvironmental engineering which is professionally accredited by the Engineering Accreditation Commission of ABET.
The Rutgers name is recognized everywhere, and a Rutgers degree makes a great first impression. Weve built our academic reputation on solid accomplishments:
- Rutgers is a memberso are Harvard, Yale, and Berkeleyof the prestigious Association of American Universities, the 61 leading research universities in North America.
- More than 175 Rutgers research centers support pioneering work in stem cells, climate change, DNA analysis, and more.
- Rutgers international reputation draws top students from more than 130 countries and all 50 states.