There are over 800 graduate students enrolled in School of Engineering graduate programs receiving Master of Science and Master of Engineering degrees as well as doctoral degrees. Our graduates, who come from all over the United States and from around the world, have gone on to successful careers in industry, government, and academia.
The Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering is among the oldest academic institutions in the nation having been established in 1864. The Department includes 12 full-time faculty and approximately 300 undergraduate and 90 graduate students. About one-third of our graduate students are pursuing a Ph.D. degree. Many of the faculty members hold positions of responsibility in national and international engineering organizations, and serve on advisory councils and commissions on the local, state, and federal level.
They are leaders in their fields in structural, construction, transportation, environmental, and geotechnical engineering. The combination of past and current continuing research has brought recognition in the areas of infrastructure evaluation and monitoring, intelligent transportation systems, transportation design and planning, geotechnical and geoenvironmental engineering, pavement engineering, construction management, water resources management, and air pollution monitoring and control. Today the department provides leadership on several prominent national projects including the Federal Highway Administration in developing a revolutionary robot that can dagnose and manage the health of bridges by automating data collection and simultaneously deploying multiple nondestructive evaluation technologies. In additon, students and faculty members work directly with Rutgers Center for Advanced Infrastructure and Transportation, one of only 10 University Transportation Centers in the nation.
* Construction Engineering and Management Courses
* Engineering Geophysics Courses
* Geotechnical Engineering Courses
* Structural Engineering Courses
* Transportation Engineering Courses
* Transportation Studies Certificate Courses
* Water Resources and Environmental Engineering Courses
* Online application
* $65 nonrefundable application fee
* One official transcript from each postsecondary institution attended
* Three letters of recommendation
* A personal statement
* Current test results, as required by the program
* Supporting materials, as required by the program
English Language RequirementsIELTS band: 7 TOEFL paper-based test score : 550 TOEFL iBT® test: 79
All first year PhD students are supported by departmental or university fellowships or graduate assistantships, which provide stipend, tuition remission, and sometimes student fees for the first year.After the first year, students will be supported by their advisors through fellowships and graduate assistantships.
There are also a number of multi-year fellowships available for advanced students through NSF and NIH training programs. BME also has a limited number of teaching assistantships for graduate students who demonstrate outstanding teaching skills.
The Rutgers name is recognized everywhere, and a Rutgers degree makes a great first impression. Weve built our academic reputation on solid accomplishments:
* Rutgers is a memberso are Harvard, Yale, and Berkeleyof the prestigious Association of American Universities, the 61 leading research universities in North America.
* More than 175 Rutgers research centers support pioneering work in stem cells, climate change, DNA analysis, and more.
* Rutgers international reputation draws top students from more than 130 countries and all 50 states.