Photos of university / #nuigalway
Earth and Ocean Sciences involve the study of the physical and chemical processes that affect planet Earth and its oceans. In this field, you will study topical subjects, such as climate change, natural resources and the management and conservation of our oceans. Four sub-disciplines are involved: geology, geophysics, hydrogeology and oceanography, which, in different ways, look at various workings of our planet, from the atmosphere to the seabed.
Earth and Ocean Sciences subjects are your ticket to a global career market. They offer the opportunity to study some of the most exciting areas in the natural sciences while being able to see at first hand their practical relevance in the world around you.
- Introduction to Earth and Ocean Sciences
- Plus three from the following:
- Computer Science
- Applied Mathematics
- Earth Sciences II
- Plus one from the following:
- Applied Mathematical Science
- Introduction to Oceanography
- Plus one choice from a range of Science modules
- Fundamental Skills in EOS
Three or four of the following:
- Environmental Geoscience
- Marine Geoscience
- Igneous and Metamorphic Petrology
- Sediments and the Biosphere
- Plus a choice from a range of Science modules
- EOS Field project/Research Survey
- EOS Field trip to Anglesey
- Three EOS Advanced modules
- Certificate of Secondary Education and an acceptable grade from a recognised Foundation programme.
- or First year of Bachelor degree/Bakalvr
- Minimum GPA 3/Satisfactory
- All applicants, whose first language is not English, must present one of the following qualifications in the English language. IELTS 6.5. TOEFL 88.
- The completed Non-EU Undergraduate Application Form
- A copy of your Passport
- A Personal Statement (typed) of no more than 800 words outlining your academic interests, sporting and/or cultural interests and your reasons for wanting to study at NUI Galway. You may also include aspects of your academic career that are not necessarily reflected in your application.
- Two sealed Letters of Recommendation, ideally from a teacher and/guidance counsellor or someone who knows you personally.
- Minimum HC3 in two subjects and passes in four other subjects at H or O Level in the Leaving Certificate including: Irish, English, Mathematics, a laboratory science subject (i.e. Chemistry, Physics, Biology, Physics with Chemistry (joint) or Agricultural Science) and any two other subjects recognised for entry purposes.
- Undergraduate Merit Scholarships