Photos of university / #hse_university
The Financial Economics Master’s programme trains students in the core principles of economics and finance and enables them to explore specific areas of interest through a wide range of electives.
The programme is taught in collaboration with the London School of Economics and Political Science (LSE). Graduates enjoy successful careers in the financial sector, working in corporate finance, business assessment, quantitative finance, strategic consulting, or academia, in Russia and internationally.
The programme is taught in the center of Moscow, giving students easy access to major Russian and global businesses and research centers.
The Financial Economics Master’s programme is unique among Russian economics graduate programmes and features:
- Professors with PhDs from leading universities in Europe and the US
- Visiting professors from international universities including London School of Economics (LSE) and Oxford University
- Courses entirely in English
- Examinations monitored by international experts appointed by the International Academic Committee (IAC) of the International College of Economics and Finance (ICEF)
- Opportunities for international mobility
The programme meets all the requirements of the UK Quality Assurance Agency for Higher Education. Graduates receive a Russian Master’s degree and an official letter of validation from LSE Director certifying successful completion of a programme that meets international quality standards.
Programme duration: 2 years
Programme requirements: 15 core courses and 6 electives, internship, Master’s thesis
Core courses: Microeconomics, Macroeconomics, Econometrics, Mathematics for Economists, Financial Asset Pricing, Corporate Finance, Financial Econometrics, Research Seminar
Electives: Corporate Valuation in Mergers and Acquisitions, Banking, Investment Management, Risk Management in a Commercial Bank, International Trade and Development, Programming and Applications to Finance, Market Microstructure, Derivatives, Fixed Income, Risk Management, International Finance
Two-thirds of students in the programme come from economics backgrounds. Other students come from different academic backgrounds, for example, mathematics and physics, and possess a sufficient knowledge of mathematics to be able to master contemporary economics and finance.
Contemporary finance relies heavily on mathematics, and all graduates have the skills they need to be competitive on the international job market. Thirteen of our graduates work in London today; seven of them found jobs there right after graduation.
Graduates have successful careers in the following professional spheres:
- Finance: Many graduates become involved in corporate finance and business assessment. They work at investment banks, in business evaluation departments at Big Four accounting firms, and at private equity funds. Some specialize in quantitative finance, working at the same investment banks and hedge funds, but doing more programming and advanced calculations.
- Consulting: The top employers are the Boston Consulting Group and McKinsey & Company.
- Academia: Every year, several of our graduates go on to PhD programmes at LSE, Oxford, MIT, Cambridge, UC Berkeley, London Business School, Imperial College London, Carnegie Mellon, Bocconi University and others.
MSc programme in Financial Economics is designed for graduates with at least a Bachelor’s degree, having a strong mathematical background, a basic knowledge of Economic Theory and a good level of English language. 60% of our students are graduates of economic faculties, another 30% have done their first degree in physics, mathematics, various natural and technical sciences. However, we are open to students with different backgrounds, interested in economics and finance and having a strong background in higher mathematics.
Check detailed programme requirements: https://www.hse.ru/en/ma/financial/Requirements
5 places are reserved for foreign students.
Tuition fee is RUB 360000 (app. USD 6000) per year.
In addition Russian government offers scholarships for foreign students that fully cover tuition fees. Additional merit-based scholarships can be awarded by the Programme Selection Committee.
All international students are entitled to a place in one of HSE’s affordable dormitories with a price not exceeding RUB 1345 (app. USD 22) per month.