Photos of university / #udelaware
The University of Delaware offers academic and research programs leading to Master of Science and Doctor of Philosophy degrees in Geological Sciences to qualified students who hold bachelor’s degrees in the field of geology or related science and engineering disciplines. Major research emphases are in coastal geology, geomicrobiology, geochemistry, geomorphology, geophysics, hydrogeology, mineralogy, petrology, stratigraphy, and Quaternary geology.
Requirements for the Master of Science degree include 30 credits of graduate study (6 of which are thesis credits) and the research, preparation, and defense of a thesis. Requirements for the Doctor of Philosophy degree include a Master of Science degree, an oral and written comprehensive exam, a course program developed with the student's dissertation committee (including 9 credits of dissertation research), and the research, preparation, and defense of the dissertation. All graduate students are required to register for GEOL 601 (Geological Sciences at Delaware) during their first fall term at the University. GEOL 605 (Stratigraphy) is also required of all graduate students. For both the MS and PhD degrees, course programs are otherwise developed on an individual basis to meet the specific needs of the student. The program of study and research is formed by student consultation with the advisor and thesis or dissertation research committee. Because of the value of the teaching experience, PhD candidates are expected to teach a course or laboratory section for at least one semester.
- Applicants to a University of Delaware graduate program must possess (or be in the final year of completing) a U.S. equivalent bachelor’s degree.
- Test Scores
- 3 Letters of Recommendation
- Write your Graduate Application Essay
- Resume (optional)
- International applicants need to pass the TOEFL (minimum 100, with at least 20 in each section) or IELTS (minimum 7.5, with at least 6.5 in each section) language test, unless they have a postsecondary degree from an institution in an English-speaking country.
- University Fellowships
- University Tuition Scholarships
- Graduate Student Assistantships
- Residence Hall Assistantships
- UD Press Awards Internship