The Graduate School of Engineering, the Graduate School of Information Sciences, the Graduate School of Environmental Studies and the Graduate School of Biomedical Engineering are pleased to announce the Tohoku University International Doctoral Program in Engineering, Information Sciences, Environmental Studies and Biomedical Engineering and invite applicants for 2016 entry. The program was launched in 2001 and is now in its sixteenth year. In this program, a wide variety of elective courses are being offered in English. The course comprises 3 groups:Life Science(Group A), Green Innovation(Group B) and Safety and Security(Group C).
- Advanced Topics in Neuroscience
- Advanced Bio-Mechanics
- Advanced Bio-Molecular Engineering
- Advanced Environmental Hydraulics and Water Quality Engineering
- Medical Molecular Engineering
- Quantum Material Physics
- Advanced Process Analysis and Modeling
- CFD modeling for building environment design
- Advanced environment resources chemistry
- Advanced energy systems and society
- Advanced environmental studies on geothermal energy
- Advanced course in atoms and molecules control engineering
- Advanced course on materials physics chemistry
- Advanced topics on highly sophisticated materials
- Advanced topics on high performance materials
Safety and Security
- Shock wave in complex media and their interdisciplinary applications
- Advanced civil engineering structures
- Advanced topics on science and technology policy
- Advanced damage tolerance and design
- Advanced high-speed communication engineering
- Metallurgical process engineering
- Advanced quantum science and energy engineering
- Advanced electronic device engineering
- Advanced materials processing
- Geological environment and earthquake disaster
- Those who have Master’s degree, or master’s students who are expected to hold a Master’s degree before the admission date of the International Doctoral Program. The Master’s degree acquired or to be acquired must be equivalent to the Master of Engineering degree, the Master of Information Sciences degree, the Master of Environmental Studies degree and the Master of Biomedical Engineering degree awarded by Tohoku University, which include both research and thesis components.
- Those who have been involved in research for a minimum of two years in internationally accredited College, University or Research Institute after acquiring a Bachelor’s degree from a Japanese accredited College or University, or those who have the same or higher level of academic ability than a Master’s degree holder.
- Certificates of Bachelor's Degree and Master's Degree
- Undergraduate and graduate transcripts
- Graduate Record Examination (GRE) scores. (GRE General Test is preferable)
- Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL®Test) or International English Language Testing Service (IELTS) score. The TOEFL®Test institution code of the Graduate School of Engineering, Tohoku University is 8958.
- RECOMMENDATION LETTER #1 and #2 (Form #3)
- Census register or other proof of citizenship
- Copy of passport
- Curriculum Vitae with passport photos (6×4cm) taken within the past 6 months. An original photo is required on each copy of the curriculum vitae.
- Master’s dissertation or equivalent (1000 words in English, 2000 characters in Japanese). A cover is required.
- Personal statement on why the applicant desires to pursue the Doctoral Degree in Engineering, Information Sciences, Environmental Studies or Biomedical Engineering
- Supporting material (optional) such as thesis, journal, conference, and submitted publications
- Entrance examination fee is 30,000 yen and admission fee is 282,000 yen.