Objective: To provide knowledge of quantitative techniques with application potential for transportation system.
1. Modelling and Simulation: Model Classification, Mathematical; Physical and Analog models, steps involved in simulation, Monte Carlo simulation, validation and verification of simulation models.
2. Curve Fitting: Method of least squares, curvilinear regression, Multiple regression, checking adequacy of model, correlation, multiple linear regression (Matrix Notation)
3. Queuing Theory: General structure, operating characteristics, deterministic queuing model, probabilistic queuing models, and simulation of queuing system.
4. Multivariate Data Analysis: Vectors and Matrices, Simple estimate of centroid, standard deviation, dispersion, variance and co-variance, correlation matrices, principal component analysis.
5. Forecasting Models: Moving averages, exponential smoothening, trend projections, causal models, time series analysis of vehicle growth & accidents.
6. Design of Experiments: General principles, completely randomized design, randomized block designs, latin square design, analysis of co-variance.
7. Neural Networks: Basic concepts; neural network architecture, back propagation networks
Students admitted to the graduate programs of study at IIT Roorkee go through a process of selection prior to their admissions. The process of selection is administered at the national (All India) level or at the Institute depending on the program of study. For detailed information of the Institute and different programs, download the information brochure given below.
GATE (Graduate Aptitude Test in Engineering), The Graduate Aptitude Test in Engineering is an All - India Examination conducted by the seven IITs and IISc Bangalore, on behalf of the National Coordinating Board - GATE, Department of Education, Ministry of Human Resources Development (MHRD), Government of India.
JAM (Joint Admission Test to M.Sc) for admission to M.Sc programmes at the IITs. From year 2005 admissions to MCA programme at IIT Roorkee are also made through JAM which were previously through AIMCET.
This Institute offer courses leading to two-year Master of Science degrees in a number of disciplines. In addition, post-graduate programmes leading to M.Tech., M.Sc. and Ph.D. degrees are also offered.
The Institute offers merit-cum-means scholarship to 25% of undergraduate students. Several other scholarships are announced from time to time. Bank loans are also easily available whenever required. Financial help is provided as Institute free studentship and scholarships to undergraduate students belonging to the scheduled castes and scheduled tribes.
Students admitted to the 2-year M.Sc. degree in sciences are also awarded merit-cum-means scholarships. A number of scholarships, teaching / research assistantship schemes provide financial support to students of M.Tech. and Ph.D. programmes. Sponsored (full-time as well as part-time), self-financing foreign students and M.B.A. students are , however, not eligible for benefits of this scheme. Students are encouraged to earn while they learn.
Prizes and certificates are given to students on the basis of their performance in curricular, co-curricular and extra curricular activities.