Risk, Science, Health and Media Group

Study mode:On campus Study type:Full-time Languages: English
Foreign:$ 4.58 k / Year(s)  
191 place StudyQA ranking:1372 Duration:36 months You need IELTS certificate

Photos of university / #cardiffuni



Cardiff welcomes applications from students interested in researching for a PhD or MPhil in the specialist areas below. The school provides training and a high level of support, and the postgraduate community contributes vitally to the University's international reputation for research.

All students are required to attend and pass two modules which run in the first year of study - Methods and Approaches in Postgraduate Research in Semester One, and Contemporary Cultural and Social Theory in Semester Two.

Part-time opportunities may be available in exceptional circumstances; please contact the School for more details.

The Risk, Science, Health and the Media Group

This group examines how risk, science and health reporting is 'produced' (by sources and journalists), represented (in the press, films and TV), and understood (by media audiences, policy makers and 'publics'). We have particular expertise in exploring the media's role in science/health issues such as AIDS, GM foods, cancer, human genetic research, MMR vaccine, BSE and food safety.

Special Features:

The School is one of Britain's premier centres for teaching and research, with staff who have international reputations both in practical journalism and in research and publications.


Normally a good undergraduate degree is required (a first or exceptionally a 2.1) and candidates will usually have successfully completed an MA degree.

Note: International students pursuing part-time programmes of study are not eligible for Tier 4 General Student) visas and must have alternative leave to remain in the UK if they intend to study at the University in person.

English Language Requirements

IELTS band: 6.5 TOEFL paper-based test score : 600

IMPORTANT NOTE: Since April 2014 the ETS tests (including TOEFL and TOEIC) are no longer accepted for Tier 4 visa applications to the United Kingdom. The university might still accept these tests to admit you to the university, but if you require a Tier 4 visa to enter the UK and begin your degree programme, these tests will not be sufficient to obtain your Visa.

The IELTS test is most widely accepted by universities and is also accepted for Tier 4 visas to the UK- learn more.

Similar programs: