The Spanish BA Honours degree will provide you with real understanding of modern Spain and the Hispanic world including recent social, political, business and cultural developments. You can study Spanish with English, French, Business, International Relations or TEFL.
If you choose this course you will benefit from:
- A year studying or working in a Spanish-speaking country, which provides you with an international experience that many businesses are looking for when employing a graduate;
- You will have the opportunity study alongside students from Spain who are doing a placement in our department;
- Use of modern technologies, such as busuu.com and Livemocha, to maintain links with native speakers of the language that you are studying;
- Topics in Spanish culture and society that give you specific applied language skills which will be relevant to the workplace;
- Links with companies in Spain including Kuoni Destination Management Madrid (event management), Contemporary Art Centre (Malaga), AIM Spain S.L. (events and tourism), Grupo Antolin Irausa S.A. (automotive), Casamona International S.L. (real estate) and others;
- For students who combine Teaching English as a Foreign Language with Spanish, the opportunity to obtain the certificate in English Language Teaching to Adults (CELTA), as an integral part of the course. The CELTA is awarded by Cambridge English Language Assessment, part of the University of Cambridge, and is recognised throughout the world as the basic-level qualification for English language teachers;
- The opportunity to gain valuable work experience by mentoring pupils and shadowing Spanish teachers.
Detailed Course FactsTuition fee
- GBP 8586 Module (EEA)
- GBP 10950 Module (International)
Course ContentThis course focuses on the four major language skills of listening, speaking, reading and writing in Spanish. You will also be introduced to Spanish linguistics, translation, Spanish and Spanish American cultures and societies. In addition, the course covers literature, cinema, sociolinguistics, translation, contemporary Spanish culture and society, and the language of business.
In all years you will study different areas of the Spanish language and will apply this to research projects. In this course you will cover topics such as: Spanish Language, Spanish Literature, Spanish Cultural and Social Issues through the Media and Spanish Translation.Your final year will allow you to strengthen your knowledge of the Spanish language, and complete a dissertation in an area of interest to you.
English Language Requirements
IELTS band : 6
To study at this university, you have to speak English. We advice you totake an IELTS test. More About IELTS
- A-Levels: BBC to BCC. Candidates wishing to take the post-A-level language modules must have Spanish at grade C
- BTEC Level 3 Extended Diploma: DMM
- International Baccalaureate Diploma: 28 points
- GCSEs: 5 GCSEs at grade A*-C including English Language, or specified equivalents. Grade C in a foreign language is required where candidates do not have A2 Spanish
No work experience is required.
- Academic Excellence Scholarship
"The Academic Excellence Scholarship can provide up to a 50 % reduction in tuition per semester. These scholarships will be renewed if the student maintains superior academic performance during each semester of their 3-year Bachelor programme. The scholarship will be directly applied to the student’s tuition fees."
- Access Bursary
Bursary for UK students all subjects where the variable tuition fee rate is payable.
- Alumni Bursary
Alumni Bursary for UK Undergraduate students
* The scholarships shown on this page are suggestions first and foremost. They could be offered by other organisations than Coventry University.
Merit Scholarship Scheme
Merit Scholarship scheme: £1,000, in year one only and based on academic performance.
- Available to all international students applying for full-time undergraduate and postgraduate programmes at Coventry University.
- Scholarships are allocated on the basis of academic merit. (Postgraduate applicants must hold 2.1 or equivalent, undergraduate applicants must hold A-levels or equivalent at grades BBC)
- There is no separate scholarship application process: all undergraduate applications from self-funded international students from any non-EU country and postgraduate applications from international, will automatically be considered for a merit award. You will not have to do anything, if you are successful you will be notified in due course by the International Office.
University Research Studentship Scheme
Occasionally, funding becomes available to enable the University, either centrally, through one of the faculties or from other sources, to offer research studentships in specified topics or fields of study.
Science Without Borders
Brazilian students are able to apply for full scholarship - including tuition fees and accommodation - to study undergraduate sandwich programmes at Coventry University.
Commonwealth Scholarship Scheme
The Commonwealth Scholarship Commission in the United Kingdom (CSC) offers opportunities to Commonwealth citizens to study in the UK, as part of the UK's contribution to the international Commonwealth Scholarship and Fellowship Plan.
If you are a citizen of a developed Commonwealth country, you can apply for:
Scholarships for PhD and split-site (PhD) study
If you are a citizen of a developing Commonwealth country, you can apply for
- Scholarships for Masters, PhD, or split-site (PhD) study at UK universities
- Shared Scholarships for Masters study at selected UK universities
If you are a citizen of the Maldives, St Helena or the Seychelles, you can apply for:
- Scholarships for undergraduate study at UK universities
Ferguson Trust Scholarships
Ferguson Trust Scholarships are made available through the generosity of The Allan & Nesta Ferguson Charitable Trust. The Trust was set up in memory of two generations of the Ferguson family to promote education, international friendship and understanding, and the promotion of world peace and development. The Trust supports people from low-income and conflict-affected regions who want to improve their knowledge of peace and reconciliation. Scholarship amounts vary and are dependent on individual circumstances and assessment.