Photos of university / #uofglasgow
- You will be provided with hands-on opportunities to deliver supported, mentored teaching practice, as well as the opportunity to lead teaching sessions with your peer study group.
- A guest lecture programme will allow you to hear from expert practitioners.
- Theres a focus on collaborative learning, drawing on your own experiences and those of your academic colleagues.
- If you are already a professional in this field and are looking to advance your qualifications, you should consider the MEd Teaching of English to Speakers of Other Languages
The MSc is specially designed for those wishing to teach English as a foreign language.
Is this programme for you?
This programme is suitable for students with a degree in English language or education who would like to enter the field of English Language Teaching. Please note: This is not a teaching qualification in Scotland.
What will you get from this programme?
You will build a solid foundation in the processes of teaching and learning English to speakers of other languages. Specifically you will:
- explore teacher and learner roles in the classroom
- develop your understanding of methodology
- focus on applying theory to classroom teaching and lesson planning
- develop an understanding of how descriptions of language (e.g. grammar and vocabulary) can be applied in the language classroom
- explore approaches to investigating the language classroom
- develop comprehensive skills to conduct research in the field
- develop your knowledge of different contexts by working with students from different educational and language backgrounds.
nitially, you are introduced to the principles of teaching and learning. The emphasis is on relating theory to practical applications through lecture input, workshops and seminar discussions. As the programme progresses you also have the opportunity to specialise through your choice of two optional courses. With the support of your supervisors you will also explore a TESOL topic in depth and complete a dissertation.
- Classroom processes
- Descriptions of language
- Developing professional practice
- Introduction to social and educational research.
- Advanced educational research.
- Developing literacy
- Inclusive classrooms - inclusive pedagogy
- Language proficiency, assessment, & feedback
- Modern educational thought
- Social emotional & behavioural difficulties
- Teaching English for academic purposes
- The education of highly able pupils
- Which English? Sociolinguistics and language teaching.
Full time International students will be eligible for the £1,000 New Course Discount.
The University of Glasgow Adam Smith Business School has accreditations by the following professional bodies:
- Accredited by Association to Advance Collegiate Schools of Business
- Accredited by the Association of MBAs (for the MBA programme)
- Accreditation by professional accountancy bodies
- Institute of Chartered Accountants of Scotland
- Institute of Chartered Accountants of England and Wales
- Association of Chartered Certified Accountants
- Chartered Institute of Management Accountants
- Chartered Institute of Public Finance and Accountancy
We are also members of the Association of Business Schools and of theEuropean Foundation for Management Development.