University of Birmingham logo
  • Tuition Fee:
  • Local: n/a
  • Foreign: n/a
  • Languages of instruction:
  • English

    None, but early application advised

    Photos of university / #unibirmingham



    Degrees may include a coursework element and can be taken on a full- or part-time basis. Prospective applicants are invited to apply, outlining their research interests. We have ESRC recognition for our research training programmes.

    Learning and teaching
    Research students normally have a lead supervisor and a co-supervisor who meet regularly with the student to review and guide their work.
    Each research student agrees with their supervisor(s) a programme of training tailor-made to their needs and previous experience. A programme may include:

    Two ESRC-accredited research methods modules offered by CURS, which students are expected to attend unless they have previously received equivalent training

    * Any module offered by CURS related to their research
    * Modules and programmes in other departments
    * Personal development and skills training provided through the University's Graduate School on subjects including computing, time management, thesis writing, writing for publication, and teaching

    All research students give an annual presentation on their work in progress. These take place in research student workshops. These occasions are also opportunities to hear presentations and share views and experiences with other research students and academics and practitioners from the outside world. In addition, students present their work to a research supervisory panel as another means of gauging progress.
    We help research students to produce publications arising from their work and encourage them to publish as single authors when appropriate. Many research students are aiming for academic careers and we recognise the importance of providing opportunities for them to be involved in teaching and tutorial work, without compromising their obligations as research students.

    Type of Course: Doctoral research, continuing professional development

    Duration: PhD: 3 years full-time equivalent; MPhil: 2 years full-time equivalent; MSc (Research): 1 year full-time equivalent


    Research interests of staff Urban and brownfield regeneration policies; Culture-led regeneration; Planning and sustainable development; Comparative planning in Europe (especially France, Great Britain and Switzerland).Contact: Dr Lauren Andres
    Tel: +44 (0)121 414 5021

    City centre regeneration; City living and gentrification; Inter-city competition and co-operation; Comparative urban development in Britain, Europe and North America.Contact: Dr Austin Barber
    Tel: +44 (0)121 414 2984

    Urban geography; Spatial planning; Urban regeneration and management; Sport and cultural-led development; The politics of mega-events; Planning for risk and resilience; National security and counter-terrorism; Post-conflict reconstructionContact: Professor Jon Coaffee (Director of CURS)
    Tel: +44(0)121 414 7421

    The political economy of post-socialist cities; Critical urban geographies - urban and housing policies under neoliberalism, world city entrepreneurialism, gentrification; Urban and regional resilience, social and economic vulnerabilities and adaptive and transformative strategies; Energy and the built environment, energy efficiency, low carbon urbanism.Contact; Dr Oleg Golubchikov
    Tel: +44 (0)121 414 8143

    Housing markets and neighbourhood change; Housing and social exclusion; Issues related to concentrations of deprivation, segregation and excluded communities; Development of models of affordability at local and regional level for the purpose of housing strategy development.Contact: Dr Peter Lee
    Tel: +44 (0)121 414 3645

    Cities; Critical political economy; Local government; Post-communism; fiscal federalism, industrial restructuring, and territorial cohesion; the 'knowledge-based economy', manufacturing, and neo-liberalism; public health outcomes of economic and fiscal crises. Contact: Dr Vlad Mykhnenko
    Tel: +44 (0)121 414 9129

    Urban and rural policy; Community planning; Social inclusion; Urban regeneration management; State spatiality and the geography of state power; Policies and politics of managed migration.Contact: Dr Simon Pemberton
    Tel: +44 (0)121 414 2680

    Planning, developing and managing sustainable communities; Community and neighbourhood governance; Delivering affordable housing options; Housing co-operatives and co-ownership housing; Regeneration of public housing estates.Contact: Rob Rowlands
    Tel: +44 (0)121 414 2243

    Transnationalism and population migration; Transnational families; International education; Mobility and education Contact: Dr Johanna Waters
    Tel: +44 (0)121 41 45527

    UK requirements for international applications

    Universities in the United Kingdom use a centralized system of undergraduate application: University and College Admissions Service (UCAS). It is used by both domestic and international students. Students have to register on the UCAS website before applying to the university. They will find all the necessary information about the application process on this website. Some graduate courses also require registration on this website, but in most cases students have to apply directly to the university. Some universities also accept undergraduate application through Common App (the information about it could be found on universities' websites).

    Both undergraduate and graduate students may receive three types of responses from the university. The first one, “unconditional offer” means that you already reached all requirements and may be admitted to the university. The second one, “conditional offer” makes your admission possible if you fulfill some criteria – for example, have good grades on final exams. The third one, “unsuccessful application” means that you, unfortunately, could not be admitted to the university of you choice.

    All universities require personal statement, which should include the reasons to study in the UK and the information about personal and professional goals of the student and a transcript, which includes grades received in high school or in the previous university.

    University requirements

    Program requirements


    PhD: 2:1 (Hons) degree and a Masters in a relevant subject

    MPhil: 2:1 (Hons) degree in a relevant subject

    English Language Requirements

    IELTS band: 6 TOEFL iBT® test: 88

    IMPORTANT NOTE: Since April 2014 the ETS tests (including TOEFL and TOEIC) are no longer accepted for Tier 4 visa applications to the United Kingdom. The university might still accept these tests to admit you to the university, but if you require a Tier 4 visa to enter the UK and begin your degree programme, these tests will not be sufficient to obtain your Visa.

    The IELTS test is most widely accepted by universities and is also accepted for Tier 4 visas to the UK- learn more.


    Scholarships and studentships

    We are eligible to receive studentships from ESRC ('1+3'. +3 and CASE/ESRC) and AHRC. We also offer a number of our own postgraduate studentships, available to both home and overseas students.

    International students can often gain funding through overseas research scholarships, Commonwealth scholarships or their home government..

    See the University of Birmingham Website for more details on fees and funding.

    Similar programs:
    University of Birmingham logo
    • Tuition Fee:
    • Domestic students: $ 5.99k / Year
    • International students: $ 17.1k / Year
      University of Greenwich logo
      • Tuition Fee:
      • Domestic students: $ 9k / Year
      • International students: $ 10.4k / Year
        University of Bedfordshire logo
        • Tuition Fee:
        • Domestic students: $ 6.44k / Year
        • International students: $ 12.8k / Year
          University of Greenwich logo
          • Tuition Fee:
          • Domestic students: $ 9k / Year
          • International students: $ 10.4k / Year
            University Campus Suffolk logo
            • Tuition Fee:
            • Domestic students: $ 9.55k / Year
            • International students: $ 12.5k / Year
              University of East Anglia logo
              • Tuition Fee:
              • Domestic students: $ 10.6k / Year
              • International students: $ 14.4k / Year
                University of Kent at Canterbury logo
                • Tuition Fee:
                • Domestic students: $ 9k / Year
                • International students: $ 12.5k / Year
                  See all of the 52 similar programs