A two year inter-disciplinary MA-Programme combining political science, economics, law, history, linguistics and cultural studies. The integrated programme binds together the study of two main regions - Europe and Russia - in one coherent curriculum, providing a comprehensive understanding of political, social, and economic developments in the EU and its member states as well as in Russia and its neighbouring transition countries.
The objective of the European Union-Russia Studies MA-Programme EURUS is to provide global labour markets with experts in the field of the EU-Russian affairs for the public and private sector, as well for the third sector. This objective requires a unique composition of the curriculum allowing students to obtain the needed qualification for their future career. Given the overall expanding complex relations between the European Union and the Russian Federation - stretching from trade, investment and business cooperation over cultural relations to matters of foreign policy, security and conflict resolution there is a growing societal need for specialists trained in European Union affairs as well in Russian studies.
The MA-programme EURUS therefore aims at training European nationals with an interest and a future professional career in the EU-Russian Relations; it is targeted at nationals from Russia and its neighbouring countries (Ukraine, Moldova, Georgia, Armenia etc.) being interest in the EU, its integration, enlargement and neighbourhood policies, and it is addressing the demand in overseas countries like the US, Canada, China, Taiwan, and Korea for well trained specialists in European Integration, Russian Developments and their interlinking relationships.
This multidisciplinary Masters degree programme will equip students with the analytical tools and personal skills needed to grasp the social, economic and political developments in the European Union, the Russian Federation and countries in the EU-Russia proximity. Students are involved in a problem based learning process, in which global developments are examined from multiple disciplinary perspectives. This hands-on type MA degree allows graduates continue their studies on the PhD level or work in private, public and governmental sectors.
CURRICULUM STRUCTURE (TOTAL 120 ECTS)
GENERAL MODULE 36 ECTS
From Ideas to Realities: Europe and Russia
EU and Russia in the World
Challanges of Socioeconomic Developments
in the EU and Russia
History and Processes of the EU and Russia
SPECIALISATION MODULE 48 ECTS
Globalisation and Competitiveness
Cultures and Identities
Migration and Challanges of Human Resources
Policy Transfer in Action: the Case of Public Engagement
Ethics and Justice in a Pluralist World
Biopolitics, Medicine and Healthcare
Energy and Security
Privacy vs Publicity in Society
Sovereignty and Supranationalism
Origins and Dynamics of Power Relations
ELECTIVE MODULE 6 ECTS
MASTER THESIS 30 ECTS
Development Seminar (15 ECTS)
Thesis (15 ECTS)
Bachelor´s degree or equivalent in social sciences, natural sciences or humanities;
1. Fill in the online application form. Remember to print it out at the end and sign it, because you also need to send it to us. You also need to upload copies of your other documents so we can start checking them. When you register to fill in the application form, you will receive an applicant code, which gives you access to your account to track your application status.
2. Mail the printed and signed application with all the required documents by deadline (16 April) to:International Student Service, University of Tartu, Ülikooli 18, Tartu 50090, Estonia
- motivation letter - guidelines and evaluation criteria are included in the online application form and on UT webpage;
- official copy of the Bachelors Diploma or its equivalent and Diploma Supplement (transcript/grade list) in the original language;
- official translation of the Bachelors Diploma and Diploma Supplement into English, translation certified;
- proof of English language proficiency (TOEFL 75, IELTS 5.5, Cambridge English FCE grade B, CAE 45 points, CPE, PTE Academic 59 points, exceptions listed on web);
- copy of the passport page stating the applicant's personal particulars.
*Please note that all copies of educational documents (diploma and diploma supplement/academic transcript) must be officially certified: bear an original seal and a signature of an authorized official of the issuing school/university. Copies of education documents can also be certified with an Apostille. Some country specific requirements also specify the way documents must be certified.
Tuition fee for the programme is 3400 EUR/year. Tuition-waiver scholarships are available for the best applicants. Students receiving this scholarship do not have to pay the tuition fee if they complete full-time study load (30 ECTS per semester). If it turns out that they do not complete full-time study load per semester, they have to pay tuition fee per missing credit point below the required 30 ECTS.