University of London logo
  • Tuition Fee:
  • Local: $ 4.7k / Year
  • Foreign: $ 15k / Year
  • Languages of instruction:
  • English
  • Deadline:
  • 26 May 2016


    The Department of Health and Social Care has a longstanding tradition of providing excellent social work education and training and has produced a wide range of research that has been highly influential in the development of social work practice.

    The MSc Social Work is an accelerated programme for applicants who already have a first degree and want to embark on a career in social work; the course will fully prepare you for a professional career in the statutory or voluntary social care field.

    This Masters degree runs in close partnership with local social care agencies and local authorities based in inner and outer London boroughs. The course is a combination of a taught and practice curriculum, where you will undertake two fieldwork placements in addition to the College-based teaching over the two years.

    We welcome overseas and self-funding students.

    There are eight course units and a research-based final dissertation. Subject specific experts will deliver lectures, seminars, and individual tutorials. In addition, Academic Tutors will guide you throughout the programme of study.

    Year 1 course units:

    HC 5017A: Law for Social Workers This unit will introduce you to the range of laws and statutes that guide social work practice and intervention.
    HC 5018A: Psychology and Human Development An introduction to theories about human growth and development across the life cycle.
    HC 5020A: Social Work Theory and Practice You will review the range of theoretical approaches and methods available to social workers.
    HC 5022A: Social Work and Society In this unit you will be exposed to the variety of social problems which social workers encounter and the policy contexts for addressing these.
    HC 5515A: Research Methods and Dissertation Proposal (constituent part of HC5516)
    This unit will equip you with the knowledge and skills to evaluate research and prepare you for conducting your individual research project.
    HC 5006A: Practice Learning I You will undertake 100 days in a practice setting where you will have an opportunity to integrate theory with practice.

    Year 2 course units:

    HC5510/11/12 Critical Social Work You will be introduced to a range of cross-cutting themes in social work practice and will have an opportunity to explore these in greater depth in seminars for options in Children and Families, Mental Health and Social Work with Adults.
    HC 5007A: Practice Learning II You will undertake 100 days in a practice setting where you will have an opportunity to consolidate your learning over the course of the programme.
    HC 5516A: Dissertation You will conduct a research project on a topic of your choice, with tutorial support.
    Please note: It is a GSCC requirement that all social work students have undertaken Information and Technology and Computing training by the time they qualify. Royal Holloway offers all social work students the opportunity to undertake this study via the College Computer Centre and it is included in the timetable. However, some students may find it easier to undertake the European Computer Driving Licence (ECDL) within their own time via an alternative route as this is also acceptable, but evidence of completion will be required prior to completion of the qualifying social work programme being undertaken.

    UK requirements for international applications

    Universities in the United Kingdom use a centralized system of undergraduate application: University and College Admissions Service (UCAS). It is used by both domestic and international students. Students have to register on the UCAS website before applying to the university. They will find all the necessary information about the application process on this website. Some graduate courses also require registration on this website, but in most cases students have to apply directly to the university. Some universities also accept undergraduate application through Common App (the information about it could be found on universities' websites).

    Both undergraduate and graduate students may receive three types of responses from the university. The first one, “unconditional offer” means that you already reached all requirements and may be admitted to the university. The second one, “conditional offer” makes your admission possible if you fulfill some criteria – for example, have good grades on final exams. The third one, “unsuccessful application” means that you, unfortunately, could not be admitted to the university of you choice.

    All universities require personal statement, which should include the reasons to study in the UK and the information about personal and professional goals of the student and a transcript, which includes grades received in high school or in the previous university.

    University requirements

    Program requirements

    First degreeUK Lower Second Class Honours degree (2:2) in any subject, or equivalent, and 6 months full-time or 12 months part-time social work experience.English language requirementsIELTS 6.5, with 7 in writing, TOEFL (iBT) 88 with 26 in writing, or equivalent, for non-native English speaking applicants.Students from overseas should visit the International| pages for information on the entry requirements from their country and further information on English language requirements. Royal Holloway International offers a Pre-Masters Diploma for International Students and English language pre-sessional courses, allowing students the opportunity to develop their study skills and English language before starting their postgraduate degree.Additional requirements: * You are required by the General Social Care Council (GSCC) to have Mathematics and English at Key Skills level 2, equivalent to grade C at GCSE level. * Applicants will be expected to provide two references: one academic and one from a current employer. * All short listed applicants will be required to undertake the following selection process: * Complete a written test (applicants who fail will be excluded from the selection process) * Attend a group interview * Attend an individual interview. * You will also need to undergo a Criminal Records Bureau Enhanced Disclosure and provide a satisfactory health declaration. * Overseas applicants will complete a written test and an interview (on Skype)conducted with two academic members of staff. English Language Requirements CAE score: (read more) Cambridge English: Advanced (CAE) is part of the Cambridge English suite and is targeted at a high level (IETLS 6.5-8.0). It is an international English language exam set at the right level for academic and professional success. Developed by Cambridge English Language Assessment - part of the University of Cambridge - it helps you stand out from the crowd as a high achiever. 75 (Grade B)
    Similar programs:
    Oxford Brookes University logo
    • Tuition Fee:
    • International students: $ 17.3k / Year
      The Robert Gordon University logo
      • Tuition Fee:
      • Domestic students: $ 4.42k / Year
      • International students: $ 12.9k / Year
        See all of the 19 similar programs