Programme Objectives and Competencies Acquired
Upon completion of the programme the students will have acquired the following competencies:
* Systemize theoretical approaches about changes and perspectives of social work theories paying a special attention to critical and social constructionism paradigms substantiating application of innovative social work practice methods and interventions in professional contexts and creation of new social services and programmes.
* Design and conduct applied and comparative researches of social work practice and its context substantiating solutions with arguments and making assumptions for installation of innovations and its control in micro, mezzo, and macro levels for an implementation of human rights and social justice.
* Implement research projects (analysing researches) reflecting perspectives of a recipient while developing qualitative research methods and creating social work knowledge for the adequate practice of professional activity methods and interventions.
* Establish the suitability / appropriateness and effectiveness of intervention, developing ethical changes enabling social worker and client interactions, using specialized methods of work with individuals, families, and/or groups in unpredictable, complex situations with consideration to resources and opportunities.
* Initiate the creation and development of innovative social services projects, programmes and/or organizations integrating enabling innovative principles and methods of organizations control and interdisciplinary collaboration, foreseeing/using local, national and international financial, human and structural resources.
* Summarize analysis outcomes of policy, resource and social structure links preparing recommendations for social policy improvement, social services and sustainable social development in the aspect of comparative social policy.
* Associate and convincingly convey professional information communicating and collaborating with social work specialists, recipients and other professions representatives ethically influencing and responsibly presenting relevant questions of social work professional and academic fields.
* Critically assess ones further individual learning and application of innovative social work professional knowledge together with practical and research methods, reflecting ones professional and learning experience and its impact to social welfare.
Graduates of Social work Masters programme organize and control social work activity, do social work researches, implement prevention programmes, administrate, prepare and are working on national and international projects and programmes, initiate new social services, participate in preparation and qualification programmes of social workers, design, implement and assess intervention processes, working with individuals, families, groups or society in these fields:
* Social Security and Work Department and its subdivisions; in social assistance departments of municipalities, stationary and non-stationary institutions of social services (centres of social services, foster homes, specialized foster institutions, day and society centres, etc.);
* Educational institutions: universities, non-university higher education institutions, vocational education and other institutions;
* Healthcare system institutions: individuals primary, secondary and tertiary level (including mental health) healthcare in ambulatory and stationary institutions, Centres for Addictive Disorders and public healthcare institutions;
* judiciary institutions: institutions controlled by prison department;
* National and international non-governmental organizations.
Graduates of Social work Masters continue their doctoral studies of social work, sociology, educology and other social science programmes of doctoral studies in Lithuania and foreign universities.
Course titleCompulsory subjects (x)
* Theoretical models of social work
* Practice methodology of social work
* Group therapy in social work
* Models of social work with families and their application
* Comparative policy of social welfare
* Intercultural context of socio-cultural problems
* Social work paradigms
* Social work management in a society
* Supervision theory and practice in social work
Optional subjects (x)
* Professional activity practice of social work
* Experience psychology
* Social gerontology
* Human resources management in social work organizations
* Management of social programmes and projects
* Social work in Europe
Research papers (x)
* Methodology of qualitative research
* Activity research for social justice in global context
* Modelling of social work researches
* Social work MA Thesis
Scholarships to Persons who Graduated from Foreign Institutions
Vytautas Magnus University offers scholarships to students who are currently enrolled or planning to enrol in Masters degree programmes taught in English at Vytautas Magnus University.
* Golden and Silver awards
* State scholarships
* Stipendium Honoris