Photos of university / #kocuniversity
The main mission of Koç University is to cultivate Turkey’s most competent students, well-rounded adults who are internationally qualified. They raise great leaders who can think creatively, independently and objectively. Koç University is going to improve knowledge through its efforts and to serve Turkey and humanity as a model of a perfect institutional excellence..The University is supported by the financial resources of the Vehbi Koc Foundation, set up by Vehbi Koc, a leading Turkish businessman, to serve humanity by increasing the number of people who can be of service to the Turkish nation, and is committed to the pursuit of excellence in both teaching and research. Koc University's mission is to produce the most capable graduates by providing a world-class education, to advance the frontiers of knowledge and to contribute to the benefit of Turkey and humanity at large. The educational philosophy of Koc University is based on the principle of creative teaching/ participatory learning. Since its foundation, Koc University has taken a progressive, expansive, and student-oriented view. It encourages the search for truth through research, criticism, and creativity. An inquiring mind, a tradition of discussion, and involvement in extra-curricular activities are also part of this quest. Accordingly, Koc University considers a liberal arts education imperative. Cooperation with international institutions, as well as lectures by internationally renowned academics and business leaders, also contribute to the quality of education at Koc University.
University (Koç Üniversitesi) is a non-profit private university in Istanbul, Turkey. It started education in İstinye in 1993, and moved to its current Rumeli Feneri campus near Sarıyer in 2000. Koç University is ranked highest (first 5 %) in Turkey.
The criteria outlined below are determined by the Higher Education Council of Turkey.
Students who are in their senior year at high school or who graduated from high school and who satisfy at least one of the below criteria may apply as international students.
- Students with foreign nationality,
- Students who were Turkish citizens by birth but ceased to be a citizen by the courtesy of the Ministry of Interior (applicant has to certify that he/she holds the official document regarding the use of rights granted by Turkish Citizenship Law),
- Students who were registered as minors on the document stating that the parent has ceased to be a Turkish citizen as explained above (applicant has to certify that he/she holds the official document regarding the use of rights granted by Turkish Citizenship Law),
- Foreign nationals who have taken Turkish citizenship / dual citizens within this context,
- Turkish citizens who began high school before 1 Feb 2013 abroad and who completed the last 3 years of high school education abroad (except in Turkish Republic of Northern Cyprus – TRNC),
- Turkish citizens who began high school after 1 Feb 2013 abroad and who completed the entire high school education abroad (except in TRNC),
- Turkish citizens who completed the entire high school education abroad (except in TRNC) in one of the Turkish schools recognized by the Ministry of Education,
- TRNC citizens who reside in TRNC and who completed their high school education in TRNC and who have taken the GCE AL exam,
- TRNC citizens who enrolled in high schools abroad (except in Turkey and in TRNC) between 2005-2010 and who have taken/will take the GCE AL exam.
Undergraduate Programs offered and English Preparatory Year admission
International students can apply directly to undergraduate programs offered at Koç University OR be admitted into our English Language Center (ELC) preparatory year.
Since English is the language of instruction at Koç University, it is essential that you demonstrate competence in the language:
- Students who submit a valid English Proficiency Exam Result will be exempted from the English Language Center and will directly begin their undergraduate courses. Please note below the minimum scores required:
o TOEFL: IBT 80 WRT 20 / CBT 213 / PBT: 550 TWE: 4
o YDS: 80 (Yabancı Dil Sınavı – mostly for Turkish applicants)
- Students who don’t satisfy the minimum English proficiency required (as detailed above) but are deemed academically fit may be offered admission into our ELC 1 year program.
Please note: it is not sufficient to have proficiency in English. International students are also required to satisfy the minimum acceptable scores or diploma grades in the exams or diplomas listed in Acceptable Exams and Diplomas and Minimum Eligibility Scores and Gradessection.
• YÖK - Yüksekögretim Kurulu
• European University Association (EUA)
|Quality of teaching||399|
|UniPage World University Ranking||543|
|QS World University Rankings||483|
Cost of living in Istanbul, USD/month:
|Communications and utilities||47||62|
|Sports and leisure||22||90|
Accommodation in Istanbul, USD/month:
|Shared room outside of centre||139|
|Shared room in city centre||255|
|1 bedroom apartment outside of centre||225|
|1 bedroom apartment in city centre||420|
Exchange Programmes (Koç University values and actively pursues a diverse campus, where different thoughts, cultures, values and personalities, not only co-exist, but also mutually contribute to the expansion of the individual and the collective.
Students who wish to apply as International Students must hold the nationality of a country other than Turkey (stateless citizens and refugees can also apply). The applicants must have successfully completed secondary education in Turkey or at a school equivalent to that of a Turkish high school, or they must currently be in the last year of secondary education.)
Transfer Students (Koç University accepts a limited number of transfer applicants from other accredited colleges and universities for admission to the undergraduate programs. Only those students who have excellent academic records, no failing grades and particularly compelling educational reasons for seeking transfer should apply.)
Special Student Admissions (Koç University accepts a very limited number of special students who wish to attend specific courses without being candidates for a degree. Applications are reviewed and acceptances decided upon by the Executive Councils of the Colleges concerned.)