Photos of university
The University of Münster (German: Westfälische Wilhelms-Universität Münster, WWU) is a public university located in the city of Münster, North Rhine-Westphalia in Germany. The WWU has also been successful in the German government's Excellence Initiative.
With more than 43,000 students and over 120 fields of study in 15 departments, it is Germany's fifth largest university and one of the foremost centers of German intellectual life. The university offers a wide range of subjects across the sciences, social sciences and the humanities. Several courses are also taught in English, including PhD programmes as well as postgraduate courses in geoinformatics, geospational technologies or information systems.
Professors and former students have won ten Leibniz Prizes, the most prestigious as well as the best-funded prize in Europe, and one Fields Medal.
History of WWU
The university has its roots in the Münster's Jesuit College (Jesuiten-Kolleg Münster), founded in 1588, and the convent of lay sisters Liebfrauen-Überwasser, founded in 1040, of which it took its seal. The convent was dissolved in 1773, so that its funds could be used to found the University of Münster on 16 April 1780.
In 1631, Pope Urban VII and Emperor Ferdinand II issued privileges, allowing the establishment of a university in Münster. However, due to a lack of funding, they were only put to use in 1780, when the modern University of Münster was founded with four faculties: Law, Medicine, Philosophy and Theology.
In 1843, it was renamed to Royal Theological and Philosophical Academy (Königliche Theologische und Philosophische Akademie), informally Münster Academy (Akademie Münster).
The ceremony of constitution was performed by Franz Freiherr von Fürstenberg. The university received its current name from Emperor Wilhelm II on 22 August 1907.
Institutional Accreditation or Recognition - Ministerium für Innovation, Wissenschaft und Forschung des Landes Nordrhein-Westfalen
- The University of Münster is member of the association German U15 e.V. which is a coalition of fifteen major research-intensive and leading medical universities in Germany with a full disciplinary spectrum, excluding any defining engineering sciences.
- The Leiden university ranking, ranks Münster as the third best German university in the size-independent ranking. Strong faculties include mathematics, chemistry, medicine and business studies.
- According to the Shanghai university ranking, the University of Münster is the fourth best German university for chemistry (46th best university for chemistry worldwide).
- Two Max-Planck-Prize and five Gottfried-Wilhelm-Leibniz-Winner are currently professors at the faculty of mathematics.
- Münster has been successful with two excellence cluster "Cells in Motion" and "Religion and Politics" in the German excellence initiative.
Student life @WWU
The university offers a very active student life. The university's sports club ("Hochschulsport") offers more than 100 sport courses, sport tours, further education and international tournaments. The university's IT organization ("Zentrum für Informationsverarbeitung" (ZIV)) provides central services for information processing and communication technology. It offers IT facilities for the students with standard and special software. Foreign languages can be learned at the university's language center ("Sprachenzentrum"). It offers traditional language courses, tandem courses (two persons with different native languages meet in order to learn from each other) and language certificates (for example UNIcert). The cultural programme also includes various museums, music (choirs, ensembles, orchestra), theatres and cinemas. Student organisations such as AIESEC, AEGEE, MOVE, MTP and many more are well represented with high membership. The city of Münster itself has a very active night life with more than 1,000 bars and clubs. As the city of the Peace of Westphalia, Münster also has a very rich cultural life.
The Kulturbüro (Culture and Arts Office) is responsible for publicising and funding cultural events at the University. Every semester it publishes the magazine "UniKunstKultur", featuring news on current issues, upcoming events and cultural groups. In addition to providing sponsoring, the Kulturbüro also offers advising and PR-support to cultural organisations at the University.
The University of Münster operates three museums and a large botanical garden.
The University of Münster boasts a diverse musical programme. In addition to performances by the Münster Academy of Music, students can enjoy and participate in a wide variety of choirs, ensembles and orchestras.
Theatre and cinema
If you love filmmaking or theatre, there are plenty of opportunities offered by groups both in and outside the University, from amateur theatre to professional varieté.
If you're interested in art, culture and history and would like to get to know the University from a different perspective, join us on a tour of discovery! We offer you a selection of art-historical tours through the University campus and its most fascinating buildings.
FOOD AND DRINK
When it comes time to eat, most students and employees of the University of Münster head to the University canteens, bistros and cafés operated by the Studentenwerk (Student Support Services) and those at the university-affiliated cultural centres. Located throughout the city, these dining facilities are university-oriented and quite reasonably priced. Münster also boasts a diverse range of eateries and restaurants of its own.
Services of WWU
LIVING IN MÜNSTER
With over 55,000 students, Münster is one of the largest university towns in Germany. Accommodation is not easy to find because it is scarce and demand is high, especially at the beginning of the semester. Therefore we strongly advise you to start looking for accommodation several months before you arrive in Germany.
STUDENT GROUPS AND ASSOCIATIONS
Students and staff at the University of Münster can participate in a wide variety of university groups and associations. All university groups can be recognised by the University if they meet the respective guidelines issued by the Rectorate.
- AIESEC-Lokalkomitee Münster [de] (local committee of the Association Internationale des Étudiants en Sciences Économiques et Commerciales, an international student organisation which, among other things, finds work placements for aspiring economists all over the world)
- Amnesty International [de]
- ELSA Münster [de] (European Law Students Association)
- Global Brigades Universität Münster [de]
- International Justice Mission Campus
- UNICEF Hochschulgruppe Münster [de]
- UAEM Münster (Universities Allied for Essential Medicines)
- Arbeitskreis Sicherheitspolitik an der Universität Münster (ASiUM) [de]
- CampusGrün Münster [de]
- Die Linke.SDS Münster [de]
- Gewerkschaftliche Hochschulgruppe [de]
- Liste für basisdemokratische Initiative, Studium, Tierzucht und Elitenbeförderung an der Westfälischen Wilhelms-Universität (Die LISTE Münster) [de]
- Junge Europäische Föderalisten Münster (JEF) [de]
- Juso-Hochschulgruppe [de] (University Young Social Democrats Group)
- Liberale Hochschulgruppe (LHG) [de]
- Liste Informatik und Mathematik (LIM) [de]
- Ring Christlich-Demokratischer Studierenden Münster e.V. (RCDS) [de]
- Sozialliberale HSG
- unabhängiges Fachschaftenforum (uFaFo) [de]
Economy, commerce and marketing
- Bundesverband Deutscher Volks- und Betriebswirte e. V. - Hochschulgruppe Münster (bdvb) [de]
- campus relations e.V. [de]
- Enactus WWU Münster [de]
- Initiative Plurale Ökonomik Münster [de]
- move [de] (Studentische Unternehmensberatung e. V.)
- Market Team e. V. Münster [de] (Verein zur Förderung der Berufsausbildung e. V.)
- Marketing zwischen Theorie und Praxis e. V. (MTP) [de]
- Münsteraner Börsenparkett e.V. [de]
- Psychologie in Wirtschaft und Medien e.V. [de]
- sneep e.V. [de] (Studentisches Netzwerk für Wirtschafts- und Unternehmensethik)
- Studierendeninitiative Wirtschaft & Umwelt e.V. [de]
- Symposium Oeconomicum Münster e.V. [de]
- Venture Club Münster - Entrepreneurship & Capital [de]
- Wirtschaftswissenschaftliche Ferienarbeitsgemeinschaften Münster [de]
- Evangelische Studentengemeinde (ESG) [de] (Protestant Student Community)
- Hillel Hub Münster [en]
- Islamische Hochschulvereinigung e.V. (IHV Münster) [de]
- Katholische StudentInnen- und Hochschulgemeinde (KSHG) [de] (Catholic Student Community)
- Navigatoren Münster [de]
- Studentenmission Deutschland (German Students Mission)
Orchestras, choirs and theatre groups
- Canticum Novum [de] (chamber choir)
- Einklang - Philharmonie für alle [de]
- Ensemble 22 (sacred music for chamber choir, medieval and baroque)
- et cetera
- Freies Musical Ensemble Münster [de]
- Galaxy Brass Ensemble [de]
- Junges Sinfonieorchester [de] (Junior Symphony Orchestra)
- Madrigal Choir [de] (a cappella and orchestral works from baroque to the present day)
- Posaunenchor der Westfälischen Wilhelms-Universität [de] (brass band)
- Student Orchestra [de] (orchestra with focus on children and families)
- University Choir [de] (choral works with or without orchestral accompaniment from Baroque to the present day)
Student societies, fraternities and sororities
- Akademisch Musischer Bund Ingvaeonia zu Münster im SV
- Akademische Damenverbindung Helenia Monasteria [de]
- Akademische Jagdverbindung Hermann Löns [de]
- Akademische Ruderverbindung Westfalen [de]
- Akademische Turnverbindung Westmark zu Münster [de]
- Akademische Verbindung Alsatia (A. V. Alsatia) [de]
- Akademische Verbindung Cheruscia (A. V. Cheruscia) [de]
- Akademische Verbindung Zollern (A. V. Zollern) [de]
- Alte Münstersche Landsmannschaft im CC Rhenania von 1850 (L! Rhenania) [de]
- Corps Rheno Guestphalia [de]
- Katholische Deutsche Studentenverbindung (K. D. St. V.) Alemannia zu Greifswald und Münster [de]
- Katholische Deutsche Studentenverbindung (K. D. St. V.) Sauerlandia [de]
- Katholische Deutsche Studentenverbindung (K. D. St. V.) Winfridia Breslau zu Münster [de]
- Katholischer Studentenverein (K. St. V.) Cimbria [de]
- Katholischer Studentenverein (K. St. V.) Germania
- Katholischer Studentenverein (K. St. V.) Markomannia [de]
- Katholischer Studentenverein (K. St. V.) Ravensberg im KV [de]
- Landsmannschaft im CC Sorabia-Westfalen zu Münster [de]
- Münsterer Burschenschaft Franconia [de]
- Münsterscher Wingolf [de]
- Sängerschaft zu St. Pauli Jena et Burgundia Breslau in Münster [de]
- Verbindung Katholischer Deutscher Studenten (V. K. D. St.) Saxonia zu Münster im CV [de]
- Verein Deutscher Studenten zu Münster [de]
- Wissenschaftlicher Katholischer Studentenverein (W. K. St. V.) Unitas Winfridia [de]
MÜNSTER UNIVERSITY SPORTS
University Sports (Hochschulsport) offers students and staff a diverse athletic programme which includes some 140 types of sports, sporting trips and, of course, competitions of every kind.
Ninety representatives and 600 trainers are responsible for getting around 25,000 participants moving and working out every week. Our multifaceted, inexpensive and high-quality athletic programme includes a wide variety sports, sporting trips, continuing education events, tournaments and international sport meetings. The programme is primarily targeted at students and staff of the University of Münster and other cooperating universities.