WULS-SGGW, with its nearly 200-year tradition is one of the oldest and the largest universities in Poland. It is also one of the most modern universities, where tradition and modernity meet. The campus has a historic part, with an 18th century palace, and a contemporary part where all faculty buildings and dormitories are situated.
WULS-SGGW offers good facilities and infrastructure in one place. On our 70-hectare main campus we have 12 dormitories, a modern library, a sports centre (with tennis courts, a sports hall and a swimming pool) a language centre, a veterinary clinic and much more. The campus is located in the southern part of Warsaw and can be easily reached from the city centre by subway or by bus. Over 1,300 university teachers and instructors make sure that you will gain plenty of knowledge and practical skills. At present, the university consists of 13 faculties; there are 25,000 students enrolled.
WULS-SGGW has been declared number one in the rankings of life science universities in Poland, and has always been in the top of Polish universities.
WULS-SGGW was acknowledged as „The most innovative and creative university in Poland at creating job perspectives”.
The origins of the Warsaw University of Life Sciences date back to 1816, to the creation of the Institute of Agronomy in Marymont, the first agricultural institution of higher learning in Poland and only the fourth one in Europe. After the war, WULS, as the first academic institution in Warsaw, inaugurated its first academic year on May 15, 1945. To commemorate this event, the Academic Senate declared in 2000 that this date be the Day of WULS. In 1956, by the decision of the Council of Ministers and of the City of Warsaw, the University received a land grant in Ursynow whereto, by 2003, all faculties and departments have been transferred, thereby creating one of the most modern university campuses in Europe, both for its architecture and research equipment.
Among the recipients of Honorary Doctorates of WULS are: the Pope, Jan Pawel II, President Ignacy Moscicki and Nobelists Norman Borlaug, Rolf Zinkernagel and Peter Doherty.
International collaboration plays an important role in University activities by contributing to the expansion of research and standardization of teaching programmes. Overall, the University collaborates with 170 international partners from all continents. On the annual basis, about 1400 University employees and students travel internationally (including about 200 students participating in international practical training programmes). WULS-SGGW is a member of prestigious international organizations such as the Euroleague for Life Sciences (ELLS), European Universities Association (EUA), Interuniversity Consortium for Agricultural and Related Sciences (ICA) and many others. The University is active among Polish minorities in Lithuania, Ukraine and Belarus by offering modern education programmes and highly qualified experts. Since 1990 WULS-SGGW has actively participated in the European programmes as a university from an associate, a candidate and since 2004 from an EU Member state. Currently, the staff of WULS-SGGW participate in European educational programmes (Erasmus+, Erasmus Mundus, CEEPUS, Leonardo da Vinci, Grundtvig, Jean Monnet, Tempus) and research programmes (7 Framework Programme, Horizon 2020, EUREKA, COST, Polish-Norvegian Research Programme).
For international students, we also offer seven master programmes (of duration of three or four semesters) and 11-semester programme Veterinary Medicine leading to a lekarz weterynarii (equiv. to brit. Veterinary Surgeon) degree, all taught exclusively in English.
In recent years, the University has been undergoing dynamic changes. Today’s picture of WULS includes modern laboratories fit for the 21st Century, over 50 computer laboratories and a University-wide computer network, a computerized Library with a main archive, a new greenhouse complex, a Small Animal Clinic, Equine Clinic, Center for Hipotherapy and excellent facilities for vocational and practical training in modern experiment stations in agriculture and forestry. The WULS campus consists of 47 buildings with a total usable space of over 200,000 m2, over 1,500 classrooms, including 292 lecture halls, with the total area of over 40,000 m2.
The university has an impressive number of modern and well equipped laboratories (almost 650, with a total area of over 28,000 m2). Additional facilities, for sports and recreation such as an indoor swimming pool and tennis courts, weight rooms, an indoor equestrian facility and outdoor sports fields, over 3800 dormitory spots with ever improving standards, its own hotels, underground parking garage and large dining facilities (including several dining halls and over a dozen cafeterias) add to the campus. In the planning stages are a multimedia hall and a sports stadium.
Warsaw University of Life Sciences offers a wide range of programs, from biological, through technical, medical, economics to humanities. WULS enrolls over 25,000 full time undergraduate students and students in PhD and other graduate programs. The teaching staff is over 1,300 strong, including 250 full professors.
The range of the academic programmes is systematically enlarged and currently includes 37 study programmes. Within study programmes there are 130 areas of specializations. Academic programmes are offered at the bachelor, master and doctoral levels, there is also a postgraduate MBA programme.