Photos of university / #uewroc
About the University
The Wroclaw University of Economics is a state university founded in 1947. It has over a 65 years of history and a tradition of high quality education. Today, the Wroclaw University of Economics is ranked among the top economic schools of higher education in Poland, an important center of education, science, and research. Its activities are aimed at maintaining and strengthening the position of the University on regional, national, European, and international levels.
Altogether it employs 780 academic teachers including 126 professors. There is strong interest in economic studies. In the academic year 2015/2016the University has about 12 600 students.
There are four faculties at the Wroclaw University of Economics:
- Faculty of Economic Sciences,
- Faculty of Management, Information Systems and Finance,
- Faculty of Engineering and Economics,
- Faculty of Economy, Management and Tourism (faculty located in Jelenia Góra).
The Wroclaw University of Economics and Business is a long-established centre of scientific and educational activities in the region. Its precursor, The Higher School of Trade, was established on the initiative of the Wroclaw Association for the Advance of Economic and Trade Sciences, the original founder and proprietor, in accordance with the Act of 1937 on privately owned schools of higher education. The majority of staff was represented by former lecturers and employees of King Jan Kazimierz University and the Academy of Foreign Trade in Lvov, and of King Stefan Batory University in Vilnius. Professor Kamil Stefko was the first elected Rector of the school. The inaugural lecture was given by professor Wincent Stys (future Rector of the Higher School of Economics on the day of 3 February 1947. The Higher School of Trade was a single-faculty trade school offering 3-year courses in the following specialisations: General Trade, Cooperative Management, Administration and Public Economy, Trade Insurance. In 1948, total number of student admissions was set at 2817, ranking the school as the second largest institution of higher education in Western Poland. Between 1947-1950, total number of students exceeded 6000.
In 1950, the school was nationalised and transformed into Higher School of Economics, with two faculties – Industry and Finance. In 1954, these were supplemented by the Faculty of Engineering and Economics in Food Processing. In 1958, the Faculty of Industry was renamed to Faculty of Company Economics, and finally in 1969, to the Faculty of National Economy (at present, it bears the name of Faculty of Economic Sciences, since 2006).
Another important milestone in our history came in 1974, with the formal adoption of a new name: Oskar Lange Academy of Economics. In 1976, the organisational structure was supplemented by another faculty – Engineering and Information Technology. In 1982, a new filial Faculty of Municipal Economy and Services was established in Jelenia Gora.
On 18th of March 2008, by power of an act of the Parliament of the Republic of Poland, the school was formally renamed to Wroclaw University of Economics. The formal change was introduced on May 6th 2008.
In October 2019, according to the new Statute, the official English name of the University has changed to Wroclaw University of Economics and Business.
In the first academic year of its operation, our precursor institution admitted 1853 students. Admissions figures have grown steadily over the years. In the 1970s, the number of our students passed the 5 thousand threshold, and reached 10 thousand in the 1990s. The largest group of students was registered for 2005, coming close to 18 thousand mark. In May 2015, the number of UEW students was 12 207 and according to the most recent report in 2017 we had 11 604 students.
Today, the Wrocław University of Economics and Business is ranked among the top economic schools of higher education in Poland, an important centre of education, science, and research. Its activities are aimed at maintaining and strengthening the position of the University on regional, national, European, and international levels, improving competitive advantage, and shaping its image of a modern institution, open and friendly to its employees, students, and the environment. Our University is fully privileged to provide academic training in the area of economic and management sciences.
Qualified personnel of the Wrocław University of Economics and Business have always been our greatest asset. UEW employees receive numerous awards for didactic and scientific achievements, and have exercised responsible duties over a number of scientific associations and societies, both in Poland and abroad. The most prominent of our colleagues have been awarded honorary titles by local and foreign institutions of higher learning. Prof. Zdzisław Hellwig received honorary doctorates of Cracow University of Economics and Prague University of Economics; prof. Józef Popkiewicz – of the Technical Univesity of Dresden; prof. Ber Haus – of Katowice University of Economics, and prof. Stanisław Urban – of Cracow University of Agriculture.
Our University has also awarded honorary titles to a number of leading economists. Of the 19 scientists honored with the UEW doctorus honoris causa title are such figures as: Jochen Schumann, Giuseppe Calzoni, Robert Leroy King, János Kornai, Reinhard Selten – Nobel Prize laureate born in Wrocław, Andrzej Stanisław Barczak, Leszek Balcerowicz, Jerzy Rokita and Janusz Lewandowski. Research endeavors of our employees have always been in close relation to didactic pursuits.
Curricula realized in the University include foundation subjects, and general and specialist subjects, and ensure full compliance with other European universities curricula. This enables our students to participate in academic exchange, and to study abroad as a part of their course. Foreign graduates are accepted here to complete their bachelor, master, and doctoral degrees.
The University offers free Polish language courses for the exchange students. The courses are provided during each semester and have two levels for the student to choose: beginners and intermediate. The course content will also help students to get acquainted with Polish culture.
The University possesses 31 premises for teaching, research, administration, and social purposes. Classes are performed in lecture rooms and exercise rooms, and in computer, chemical, and technological laboratories. Rooms are equipped with modern audio-visual aids. Some rooms possess facilities enabling direct tele-transmissions and tele-conferencing activities.
- More than 780 academic teachers
- More than 76 000 graduates
- The first lecture at the University was given in February, 1947
The students can choose from 60 specializations within the range of courses offered by the faculties. The educational system at the WUE follows the requirements of the Bologna declaration. We apply the European Credit Transfer System (ECTS) and issue Diploma Supplements. The exchange of academic staff and students is carried out under the Erasmus and Leonardo da Vinci programmes. In the academic year 2015/2016, there are more than 100 courses offered in foreign languages to Erasmus students.
The WUE has 205 cooperation agreements with foreign partners. The courses organized by the University of Economics, which are divided into semesters, are run in two level systems and can be attended as full-time day courses, part-time weekend courses. The University is authorized to run an Executive MBA Program for graduates, and is available in a Polish or English language version, and is organized in conjunction with universities from Belgium, France, Ireland.