Photos of university / #aueb.gr
Why choose the Masters program
The Masters program in Accounting and Finance is one of the most sought after graduate programs in Greece and has been operating successfully since the academic year (Ministerial Decision 7/5915/ 383-25/2/2004 Y.A. 7/66974 99359/7- 2104/29-9-09). Starting form the academic year 2010-11, the program also offers new English speaking groups of studies, mainly aiming to attract international students or Greek students who are interested in taking a Masters program in English longing for a better placement in the labour market. Through these new English speaking groups, the program acquires an international dimension in line with the latest global economic and business developments, while giving its graduates further supplies and upgrading even more AUEB in the international labour market. In addition, the program has signed bilateral agreements for academic and scientific cooperation with respectable non Greek Universities, such as the University of Rennes 1 (IGR) and the Kievs National University of Trade and Economics (KNUTE), thus providing multiple competitive advantages to their students.
Mission of the Masters program
The programs mission is the advancement of knowledge and scientific research in the fields of Accounting and Finance. Especially when considering the unstable national and international economy, as well as the high complexity of financial markets, specified knowledge in the above mentioned fields is today more than ever a necessary asset for climbing the executive ladder. This mission is accomplished through a contemporary and well structured curriculum, which uses alternative learning processes such as case studies and group or individual assignments, apart from the study of the contemporary as well as classic international scientific literature.
The program offers:
A full-time group of 12-month duration
A part-time group of 24-month duration
While students in both groups can specialize in:
- Management Accounting
- Tax Accounting
- Banking & Risk Management
- Investments & Wealth Management
- Financial Engineering
* For the academic year 2014-15 there will be offered only the two specializations in bold
Specialization in Accounting
Full time group:
- 3 courses per teaching period for the first four periods
- 1 course (fast track) during the 5th period
- Researching and writing the Masters thesis takes place during the fifth period
Part time group:
- 2 courses per teaching period for the first five periods
- 1 course per teaching period during the 6th, 7th and 8th period
- Researching and writing the Masters thesis takes place during the 7th and 8th period
- Students may choose to attend two additional elective courses instead of researching and writing the Masters thesis.
- eleven (11) compulsory courses and
- seven (7) elective courses
The teaching staff of the Postgraduate Program is comprised of faculty members of the Athens University of Economics and Business, faculty members of other Greek or foreign Universities, as well as distinguished corporate and bank executives.
The majority of faculty members are young scientists with standing in the European and international academic community, with regular participation in international conferences, and publications in international scientific and professional journals.
Among their varied and numerous activities, the Departments faculty members:
- Have published their work in scientific journals, such as "Accounting, Organizations and Society", "Contemporary Accounting Research", Economica, "Economics Letters", "European Accounting Review", "European Financial Management", "European Journal of Finance", "Financial Accountability and Management", "Financial Analysts Journal", "Journal of Banking and Finance", "Journal of Business, Finance and Accounting", "Journal of Derivatives", Journal of Financial Quantitative Analysis, Journal of Forecasting, "Journal of Futures Markets", Journal of International Financial Markets, Institutions and Money, "Journal of International Money and Finance", Journal of the Royal Statistical Society (Series A), "Review of Accounting Studies", "Review of Derivatives Research", "The Accounting Review", and "The International Journal of Accounting".
- Have refereed papers for international journals and conferences in their fields of interest.
- Have presented their research work and chaired sessions at major international conferences around the world, such as the European Financial Management Association, Hellenic Finance and Accounting Association, International Association of Maritime Economists, and Multinational Finance Society.
- Have been invited speakers at international scientific and business conferences and workshops in Greece and abroad.
- Have won awards for their research at conferences such as the International Association of Maritime Economists Conference (IAME 2001) in Hong Kong.
- Are co-editors and members of editorial boards of international scientific journals, such as the "Eurasian Review of Economics and Finance", "European Accounting Review", "Maritime Economics and Logistics", "The International Journal of Accounting", "The Journal of International Accounting Research", and "Transportation Research, Part E".
- Serve as visiting professors and have been invited to present their scientific work in foreign universities such as Erasmus University (Netherlands), National University of Singapore, and Cass Business School (London).
- Have conducted research programs financed by the European Union, the Greek government and private enterprises.
- Are members of respected international bodies, such as the Committee for the Translation into Greek of the International Accounting Standards and the International Maritime Statistics Forum (IMSF).
- Have received awards for the quality of their teaching from Universities outside Greece.
Monetary awards to top students
The Program offers monetary awards to the top 10% of students in each stream (based on grades achieved throughout the program), for both the full-time and the part-time programs. The awards, which are given upon completion of the program, amount to:
v1.500,00 to the student that ranks 1st in terms of academic performance
v1.000,00 to the student that ranks 2nd in terms of academic performance
v500,00 to the student that ranks 3rd in terms of academic performance
v500,00 to the student that ranks 4th in terms of academic performance etc.
Scholarships offered by AUEBs Research Centre
The Masters program in Accounting and Finance offers to the top student of the course unit Equity Portfolio Management a full grant for the 1st level preparatory classes (40 hours) of the International Certification CIIA® (Certified International Investment Analyst) and CEFA® (Certified European Financial Analyst) held by the AUEB Research Centre in association with the Hellenic Association of Certified Stockmarket Analysts (HACSA)
In addition, the program, in association with the AUEB Research Centre, offer to the top student of the elective course unit «Shipping Finance» a ½ grant for the Executive Seminar Shipping Derivatives and Risk Management which is held twice every year.
International Co-operations and Agreements
The Masters program in Accounting and Finance of AUEB recently established collaboration with the Masters in Advanced Studies and Financial Research of the Graduate School of Management IGR-IAE of the University of Rennes 1. The agreement involves the exchange of two graduates per year between the collaborating parties, who will be given the opportunity to attend an additional masters program in the collaborating institution for free. Thus, the AUEB graduates selected each year will be awarded the Masters diploma in Advanced Studies and Financial Research, after the successful attendance of the relative masters programs curriculum.
Other Scholarship opportunities
Greek State Scholarships
The State Scholarships Foundation (I.K.Y.) grants scholarships for postgraduate or postdoctoral studies in Greece to all foreigners as well as scholarships for the attendance of the Modern Greek Language and Culture. The programmes for postgraduate/postdoctoral studies are announced around January / February of each year and the scholarships are offered to nationals (foreigners or of Greek origin) from:
a) THE EUROPEAN UNION MEMBER STATES, ICELAND, NORWAY, SWITZERLAND, U.S.A., CANADA, AUSTRALIA, NEW ZEALAND and JAPAN,
b) BALKANS, CENTRAL or EASTERN EUROPE (NON MEMBERS OF THE EUROPEAN UNION), ASIA, AFRICA and LATIN AMERICA.
Further information available at www.iky.gr
Onassis Scholarships Foundation
The Onassis foundation grants scholarships to international students who wish to study at a postgraduate level in Greece. The applications deadline is usually around January each year. Further information available at www.onassis.gr .
Hellenic Aid Scholarships Program for international studentsThrough the Hellenic Aid program, the Hellenic Ministry of Foreign Affairs grants each year 100 scholarships for studies in Greece to nationals of developing countries included in the list of OECD. The deadline for submitting applications to the Greek authorities abroad is usually July 30. Hellenic Aid announces the results to successful applicants around September each year.
AUEB is considered as the leading academic Institution in Greece in the areas of Economics and Business Administration, and one of the best in Europe. Throughout its history, the school has had a number of international academic distinctions. It appears frequently in top positions in international rankings, it possesses faculty of a very high international calibre, its students get recognitions throughout their studies, and the alumni of the school become distinguished members of the society.
AUEB is the first public university in Greece to achieve a quality distinction according to the EFQM Excellence Model (European Foundation of Quality Management), receiving thus global recognition for pursuing Excellence.
AUEB is also a member of the EUA (European University Association) and the AACSB International (The Association to Advance Collegiate Schools of Business). Last but not least In March 2013, AUEB became a participant as an institution in the United Nations Global Compact initiative.
According to Eduniversal Business Schools International Rankings 2012, AUEB is among top business schools all over the world (4 palms award) and has rightfully won the 3th place among 191 universities ranked in the 4 palms league!
AUEB was also ranked among top 150 Schools internationally in the subject of Accounting and Finance for 2012-13, according to the survey carried out by QS University Rankings by Subject, the worlds top university ranking organizations.
The MSc program in Accounting and Finance was ranked among top 100 Programs internationally for 2011, 2012 and 2013, according to the survey carried out by Eduniversal.com, one of the most respectable European organizations for evaluating universities and higher education institutions all over the world. The ranking involved top postgraduate programs specialized in Financial and Auditing-Accounting studies.