Photos of university
This program provides a one-year training in the field of atmospheric sciences at the highest level. It offers courses in physics and chemistrygiven that an interdisciplinary approach is essential to understand atmospheric processes.
- This program provides a one-year training in the field of atmospheric sciences atthe highest level. It offers courses in physics and chemistrygiven that an interdisciplinary approach is essential to understand atmospheric processes. Fundamental courses give students a strong scientific basis for solving relevant atmospheric problems. They are illustrated by applied courses, tutorials and lab sessions directly related to important atmospheric issues and to recent development of instrumentation dedicated to atmospheric measurements.
- The teaching staff involves internationally recognized researchers in the field of atmospheric sciences. The Atmospheric Environment master program is supported by the laboratoire dexcellence « Chemical and Physical Properties of the Atmosphere » (labex CaPPA), a cluster of seven laboratories working on atmospheric sciences. The labex CaPPA endows scholarships for students having the highest academic records.
- PhD thesis in France or in a foreign country
- Joint PhD thesis between a French laboratory and a foreign laboratory
- Engineer in industry or environmental agencies
All classes are delivered in english. Students have to decide between the Physics or the Chemistry subprogram (2 units).
First semester (01 Sept - 31 Jan) : 6 units (5 ECTS per unit) including lectures, tutorials and lab sessions.2 units in Physics for students graduating a master in physics:
- Electronic structure and vibration-rotation spectroscopy
- Radiative transfer in the atmosphere.
2 units in Chemistry for students graduating a master in chemistry:
- Advanced methods of analysis
- Reactivity in homogeneous and heterogeneous phases.
3 units mandatory for all the students of the program:
- Physics and chemistry of the atmosphere
- Advanced Spectroscopic techniques for Environmental Analysis
- Observation systems for atmospheric monitoring
- Second semester (01 Feb - 30 June): a full time research training in a laboratory. A large selection of research projects will be offered to students attending the program. To help them to identify the research topic they want to specialize in, a visit to every laboratory involved in CaPPA (Chemical and Physical Properties of the Atmosphere) is planned.
This should ensure a good quality of life to the students during their stay in France. They are provided by the laboratoire d'excellence Chemical and Physical Properties of the Atmosphere" (labex CaPPA) which provides a network of research excellence in the field of atmospheric sciences.
Cost of livingThe campus of Lille 1 University is located in Villeneuve dAscq, only 10km away from Lille center.The « CROUS », a public organisation aiming to bring higher education to everyone, is strongly supporting foreign students. As soon as they arrive in France, it helps them to move in and to solve the problems they meet with.
The CROUS provides in particular accommodations on the campus. http://www.crous-lille.fr/p/english
The city of Lille succeeded in preserving its cultural dynamism combined with an affordable way of life. Three European capitals (Paris, London and Bruxelles) are easily reached by train in 1 hour.