This course is designed to give you the skills and understanding to work as a designer in all fields of Automotive and Transport Design, including cars, motorbikes, boats, luxury yachts, construction vehicles and vehicle interiors, as well as emerging areas such as electric vehicles and personal mobility devices.
Many current production vehicles can be attributed to our graduates who have left to work around the world for companies including: Aston Martin, Bentley, BMW, Citroen, Ford, Jaguar Land Rover, JCB, Lotus, Mazda, Mercedes Benz, Nissan, Porsche, Renault, Rolls Royce, Toyota, Qoros, VW and Volvo.
Automotive and Transport Design aims to develop individuals who can apply a high level of innovation and creative thinking to their studies and there is a particular focus on understanding how society and new technology will lead to more sustainable transport solutions in future.
If you choose this course you will benefit from:
- The opportunity to study in a school which was awarded Best Design School in the World Automotive Design competition in 2004, was the winner of the Sir Misha Black Award for Innovation in Design Education 2007 and the winner of Queens Anniversary Prize for Higher and Further Education;
- A teaching team that includes design professionals with many years of experience in the automotive and transport design business;
- Strong associations with the industry offering excellent placement opportunities and employment prospects.
Detailed Course FactsTuition fee
- GBP 9000 Module (EEA)
- GBP 12444 Module (International)
This course offers the options of a three-year BA (Hons) degree, a four year MDes or a four year BA (Hons) degree that includes the third year Professional Enhancement.In your first year you will learn 2D design skills and be introduced to 3D techniques, the theory and analysis skills needed to underpin design work plus an understanding of packaging and ergonomic requirements for successful design solutions. This year acts as a diagnostic of your aptitudes and interests.
In the second year you will develop your design process, modelling, and presentation skills, learn how to evaluate your work, and develop your knowledge of ergonomics and engineering in individual and group activity.The Professional Enhancement Year, the third year of the four-year degree, involves entry to a national or international competition, and involvement in collaborative projects with industry. There are opportunities to secure placements in the industry, with which the Coventry Automotive and Transport has close connections, which will strongly enhance your experience and skills whilst improving your network of industry contacts.
The final year of your three or four year BA(Hons) may include entry to a national design competition, while the final year for the MDes qualification (4th year) includes research and design management modules. Both BA (Hons) and MDes qualifications conclude with a major design project. At the end of their degree students are expected to exhibit in our prestigious Degree Show.
English Language Requirements
IELTS band : 6
To study at this university, you have to speak English. We advice you totake an IELTS test. More About IELTS
RequirementsEssential Entry Requirements:
- 5 GCSEs at grade A*-C including English Language and Mathematics, or specified equivalents.
- A-Levels: BCC to include at least one Art or Design subject
- BTEC Level 3 Extended Diploma: DMM in an Art or Design subject
- International Baccalaureate Diploma: 27 points to include Art or Design at Higher Level
No work experience is required.
- Academic Excellence Scholarship
"The Academic Excellence Scholarship can provide up to a 50 % reduction in tuition per semester. These scholarships will be renewed if the student maintains superior academic performance during each semester of their 3-year Bachelor programme. The scholarship will be directly applied to the student’s tuition fees."
- Access Bursary
Bursary for UK students all subjects where the variable tuition fee rate is payable.
- Alumni Bursary
Alumni Bursary for UK Undergraduate students
* The scholarships shown on this page are suggestions first and foremost. They could be offered by other organisations than Coventry University.
FundingMerit Scholarship Scheme
Merit Scholarship scheme: £1,000, in year one only and based on academic performance.
- Available to all international students applying for full-time undergraduate and postgraduate programmes at Coventry University.
- Scholarships are allocated on the basis of academic merit. (Postgraduate applicants must hold 2.1 or equivalent, undergraduate applicants must hold A-levels or equivalent at grades BBC)
- There is no separate scholarship application process: all undergraduate applications from self-funded international students from any non-EU country and postgraduate applications from international, will automatically be considered for a merit award. You will not have to do anything, if you are successful you will be notified in due course by the International Office.
Occasionally, funding becomes available to enable the University, either centrally, through one of the faculties or from other sources, to offer research studentships in specified topics or fields of study.Science Without Borders
Brazilian students are able to apply for full scholarship - including tuition fees and accommodation - to study undergraduate sandwich programmes at Coventry University.Commonwealth Scholarship Scheme
The Commonwealth Scholarship Commission in the United Kingdom (CSC) offers opportunities to Commonwealth citizens to study in the UK, as part of the UK's contribution to the international Commonwealth Scholarship and Fellowship Plan.
If you are a citizen of a developed Commonwealth country, you can apply for:
Scholarships for PhD and split-site (PhD) study
If you are a citizen of a developing Commonwealth country, you can apply for
- Scholarships for Masters, PhD, or split-site (PhD) study at UK universities
- Shared Scholarships for Masters study at selected UK universities
If you are a citizen of the Maldives, St Helena or the Seychelles, you can apply for:
- Scholarships for undergraduate study at UK universities
Ferguson Trust Scholarships are made available through the generosity of The Allan & Nesta Ferguson Charitable Trust. The Trust was set up in memory of two generations of the Ferguson family to promote education, international friendship and understanding, and the promotion of world peace and development. The Trust supports people from low-income and conflict-affected regions who want to improve their knowledge of peace and reconciliation. Scholarship amounts vary and are dependent on individual circumstances and assessment.