Photos of university / #sheffhallamuni
This course introduces you to the media and communications industry, focusing on human communication and the role of language in communication and the media.
It is suitable for graduates wanting to develop a career in this area or for people already working in this area and wanting to improve their practice.
You learn professional communication skills and develop industry awareness. You also gain a better theoretical understanding of the sector and develop your ability.
If you would like to teach media and communication studies, it helps you gain the specialist knowledge needed for a career in this growing area of modern education.
We prepare you for advanced level study and research in media and communications and you gain a solid grounding in
* the three main areas of mass communication media - print, radio and television
* using language as a means of communication
* computer-mediated communication - the Internet
At the postgraduate diploma stage, you develop your research skills. You also choose optional modules that allow you to focus on your career needs or interests, such as digital media and communication or media policy in the EU.
In the final stage, you take a piece of independent research based on the theories and skills you have gained, which leads to your dissertation. You are taught in small, informal and mixed nationality groups led by research active staff.
This course helps develop careers in
* further education
* teaching English as a second language
* health management and promotion
* public relations.
The wide scope of the degree makes it appropriate for professionals in many areas, and for UK and overseas graduates wanting to add a media and communications award to existing qualifications.
There may also be opportunities for research registration at MPhil and PhD level in our Cultural, Communication and Computing Research Institute (C3RI).
* approaches to media and communication
* news making
* digital media and society
* language and discourse analysis
* researching the media
* researching communication
Option modules * digital media and communication
* ethnicity, race and identity
* multicultural and intercultural communication
* media policy in the EU
* theories of international media
* modules from other related courses
MA * dissertation