Photos of university / #sabanci_university
The purpose of the program is to develop student abilities and enable proficiency in an area such as analog/digital hardware design, electromagnetics and optics, communication theory, hardware and networks, or signal processing.
Basic interest areas of the program can be listed as the following:
* Microelectromechanical systems (MEMS)
* Very Large- Scale Integrated Circuits (VLSI)
* RF/Microwave Systems
* Medical Ultrasonics and NDE
* Image Processing, Computer Vision, Pattern Recognition
* Speech Processing & Recognition
* Wireless Communications, Signal Processing for Communications
* Wireless Multimedia Networks, Ad Hoc Networking, Sensor Networks
* Channel Coding & Receiver Design
* UWB Transceiver Hardware Design, Antennas and EMT
The graduate diploma programs, Microelectronics and Telecommunications areas under EECS, are united under the name of Electronics Engineering as of 2006 - 2007 Academic year.
Ph.D. Qualifying Written Exam
Students must pass Ph.D Qualifying written exams from three packages: EE Fundamentals, Area Fundamentals and Advanced Topic Areas. Each package is equivalent to one FENS subject area.
Students are strongly advised to receive the consent of their thesis advisors and also contact PhD Committee Representative of EE program before taking the exams.
While EE Fundamentals package is mandatory to each student from EE program, the Area Fundamentals or Advanced Topics area (but not both) may be replaced by a PhD Qual subject offered by other FENS programs, which is subject to the consent of his/her adviser.
Those students in other FENS PhD programs (non EE students) can take any one of the three packages: EE Fundamentals, Area Fundamentals and Advanced Topic Areas as their subject area. However, non-EE students are strongly advised to receive the consent of their thesis advisors and also contact PhD Committee Representative of their own program before taking the exams.
The EE Fundamentals part of the exam will consist of an equal number of questions from each of the following four areas. Students must select and submit only five questions consisting of, one question from each of the four areas and one question from any of the four areas. A sample selection is: Electronic Circuits (1), Signals (2), Basic Math (1), Electromagnetics (1).
* Electronic Circuits
* Engineering (Basic) Math
Math 201, Math 203
Students should choose two of the following Area Fundamental Subjects while signing up on the EE-PhD Qual Exam Inquiry/ Information Sheet and will receive four questions from each of their chosen subjects to work during the Qual Exam. Students may work on all problems in their chosen subjects; however they must select and submit four questions to be graded from their chosen subjects, only. Any questions submitted from subject areas, other than the chosen two areas, will not be considered for grading.
* TE 303, TE 304
* Signal Processing
* TE 301, TE 302
* Integrated Electronics/Circuits
* EL202, EL 303, EL 304
* Digital Systems
* CS 303, EL 308, EL 310
Students should choose two of the following Advanced Topics while signing up on the EE-PhD Qual Exam Inquiry/ Information Sheet and will receive four questions from each of their chosen subjects to work during the Qual Exam. Students may work on all problems in their chosen subjects; however they must select and submit only four questions to be graded from their chosen subjects, only. Any questions submitted from subject areas, other than the chosen two areas, will not be considered for grading.
* Fabrication and MEMS
* Advanced Semiconductor Physics and Devices
* RF Microelectronics - Circuit Design
* Computer Vision (or Digital Image Processing)
* Audio and Speech Processing
* Wireless Communication
* Information Theory
Timeline and grading
For EE students
* Minimum required grades to pass all exams are 70.
* If a student is failed in one or more package(s), he/she has to take only the package(s) that he/she failed or replace his/her failed package(s), except EE Fundamentals, from other FENS Qual Subjects.
* After the written exam, there will be an oral exam. The oral exam can be taken after a student passes from all written tests.
For non EE students
* Students can take any of the three packages above and should receive a passing grade of at least 70 from the package(s) of their choice.
* ENS 555 A, B Scientific & Technical Com. Nancy Ela Karabeyoglu
* CS 552 Graduate Seminar II Husnu Yenigun
* CS 503 Theory of Computation Kemal Inan
* CS 508 Virtual Reality Selim Saffet Balcisoy
* CS 534 Distributed Systems Erkay Savas
* CS 582 Spc.Top. in Comp.Science III Yucel Saygin
* CS 680 Sel.Top. in Comp.Science I Ayse Berrin Yanikoglu , Hakan Erdogan
* CS 681 Spc.Top. in Comp.Science II Albert Levi
* EE 523 Power Electro.&Electric.Drives Asif Sabanovic
* EE 525 Real-Time Systems Design Ahmet Onat
* EE 528 Nonlinear Control Systems Mustafa Unel
* EE 533 Semiconductor Process Techno. Cem Ozturk
* EE 555 Wireless and Mobile Networks Ozgur Gurbuz
* EE 556 Antennas&Propagation Ibrahim Tekin
* EE 563 Digital Image Processing Mehmet Keskinoz
* EE 566 Pattern Recognition Aytul Ercil
* EE 567 Nano-Optics Ibrahim Kursat Sendur
* EE 568 Detection & Estimation Theory Hakan Erdogan
* EE 571 Linear Systems Mehmet Keskinoz
* EE 626 Microelectromechanical Sys. Yasar Gurbuz
* IE 512 Graph Theory&Network Flows Guvenc Sahin , Tonguc Unluyurt
* MATH 502 Analysis II Plamen Borissov Djakov
* ME 525 Autonomous Mobile Robotics Mustafa Unel
* BIO 501 Advanced Molecular Bio Huveyda Basaga
* BIO 511 Advanced Bioinformatics Deniz Sezer
* BIO 512 Advanced Computational Biology
* BIO 567 Signal Transduction Batu Erman
* BIO 570 Chromosome Biology Hikmet Budak
* BIO 610 Computational Genome Analysis Murat Cokol
* BIO 636 Cancer Biology Devrim Gozuacik
* ENS 509 Proj Mgmt & Entrepreneurship Cavit Umut Ekmekci , Gunduz Ahmet Ulusoy , Abdullah Dasci
* ENS 511 Engineering Optimization Ozgur Ercetin
* ENS 514 Experimental Methods in NanoII Ismet Inonu Kaya
* ETM 502 Env,ClimateChange&Soc.Cost Melsa Ararat
* ETM 504 Energy Markets
* ETM 508 Finance of Energy Projects Mehmet Kerim Gokay
* IE 503 Stochastic Processes Ahmet Baris Balcioglu
* IE 566 Computer-Aided Biomod.&Fabric. Bahattin Koc
* IE 580 Spc.Top.in Indust.Eng. I Semih Onur Sezer
* IT 540 Social Network Analysis
* MAT 571 Intro. to Electron Microscopy Burc Misirlioglu
* MAT 671 Adv.El.Micr.:Analy.Elec.Micr. Cleva Ow Yang
* MATH 512 Algebra II Henning Stichtenoth
* MATH 575 Intr. to Func. Analysis
* MATH 576 Integration Nihat Gokhan Gogus
* MATH 602 Selected Topics in Analysis II
* MATH 612 Selected Topics in Algebra I Henning Stichtenoth
* MATH 616 Special Topics in Numb.Theory Alp Bassa
* MATH 631 Selected Top.in Cryptography I Wilfried Meidl
* ME 515 Comp. Analysis & Simulation Serhat Yesilyurt
* ME 520 Ren.&Sust. Energy Systems Serhat Yesilyurt
* ME 562 Fundamentals of Trans.Process. Mehmet Yildiz
* ME 583 Special Topics in Mech. Eng.II Gullu Kiziltas Sendur
* NT 502 Micro/ Nanofabrication Ozge Akbulut Halatci
* NT 504 Eco, Pol, and Ethics of NANOT Volkan Husnu Ozguz , Cavit Umut Ekmekci
* NT 506 Adv Characterization in NANOT Gozde Ince
* PHYS 512 Electromagnetic Theory Cihan Kemal Saclioglu
* PHYS 532 Quantum Mechanics II Inanc Adagideli
* PHYS 541 Statistical Mechanics I Unal Ertan
* PHYS 584 Quantum Comp&Quant.Info Mehmet Zafer Gedik
* XM 590 Master Project Ibrahim Kursat Sendur
Applications for graduate programs are evaluated by the respective Admission Jury along with individual program entries. Admission is finalized by the approval of the related Graduate School Board upon the recommendation of the Jury and announced to the applicants.
Applicants may be called for written exams and interviews. All written exams and interviews are held in English.
Periods for application are announced in Academic Calendar
Your registration will be done upon the approval of Turkish Higher Education Council regarding the equivalence of the last graduated higher instution and the course of study.
Application Documents and Requirements:
1. On-Line Application Form:
Candidates can apply more than one program via online application form. Seperate forms is to be filled for each applied program.
Print-out of Completed Application Form should be added to the Application Package.
Applicants can either submit the application package including the required documents in person or can send via post to Student Resources. Seperate application package is to be submitted for each applied program.
All the application documents become property of Sabanci University. It is suggested to keep the original reports of TOEFL, GRE and ALES scores for you, and apply with the copies of those exams.
2. Official Transcript: Sealed and taken from Student Resources/Affairs of the applicant's university indicating the courses and grades taken.
3. Two Letters of Recomendation: These should be either submitted online or posted in a sealed envelope. Sample letter
4. One Photograph
5. Candidates who will apply for PHD programs:
- Candidates applying for the PhD Programs with a BA degree must hold a 3.00/4.00 GPA. The candidates graduated from institutions which apply a scale other than X out of 4.00 system must provide a conversion table or an official letter of evidence from their institutions.
- Candidates applying for the PhD Programs with an MA degree must hold an MA with Thesis degree. Candidates whose diplomas or transcripts do not contain such information must provide an official letter of evidence from their institutions.
- Holders of Non-thesis MA degree may apply to PhD programs only upon submission of an official document from their institutions, certifying that they have already been enrolled to the Non-thesis program before February 6th, 2013.
6. Result for Graduate Program Entrance Exam : Any of the following science test results baring the min. scores and which are within the validity period as indicated below. Photocopies are acceptable for application, but original copies should be submitted during admission.
ALES is national Graduate Education Science Exam and compulsary for Turkish citizens not having GRE or GMAT
For Applications to Masters Degree Programs: (Except Information Technology, Energy Technologies and Management (Non-thesis), Nanotechnology (Non-thesis))
ALES : Numerical ALES min. score 55
GRE : Quantitative min. score 610 (Scores on the Prior Scale) 149(Scores on the Current Scale),
GAT: Accumulative Percentile : %60 (for international student)
For Applications to Ph.D. Programs for holders of Masters Degree
ALES : Numerical : ALES min. score 55
GRE : Quantitative: min. score 610 (Scores on the Prior Scale) 149(Scores on the Current Scale),
GAT: Accumulative Percentile : %60 (for international student)
For Applications to Ph.D. Programs for holders of Undergraduate Degree :
ALES : Numerical : ALES min. score 80
GRE : Quantitative: min. score 740 (Scores on the Prior Scale), 158(Scores on the Current Scale) ,
GAT: Accumulative Percentile : %60 (for international student)
For Applications to Information Technology, Energy Technologies and Management (Non-thesis), Nanotechnology (Non-thesis):
GRE or GMAT Score is not required for Masters Degree in non-thesis programs.
7. English Proficiency Exam Result: Any of the following English Proficiency Exam results baring the min. scores and which are within the validity period as indicated below. Photocopies are acceptable for application, but original copies should be submitted during admission.
For Applications to Masters Degree and Ph.D. Programs :(Except Information Technology,Energy Technologies and Management (Non-thesis), Nanotechnology (Non-thesis) )
TOEFL: Min. score 88 in Internet-based test, Min. score 228 in Computer-based test, Min. score 568 in Paper-based test
IELTS: Min. score 5,5
KPDS: Min. score 73
ÜDS: Min. score 73
* International PhD applicants, in addition to the requirement above, must submit a proficiency exam result, accepted by the Council of Higher Education in Turkey (YÖK) from a language other than their native ones, be it English, German or French .
For Applications to Information Technology, Energy Technologies and Management (Non-thesis), Nanotechnology (Non-thesis) :
TOEFL: Min. score 70 in Internet-based test, Min. score 193 in Computer-based test, Min. score 523 in Paper-based test
IELTS: Min. score 4,0
KPDS: Min. score 58
ÜDS: Min. score 58
The TOEFL and IELTS must have been taken no more than 2 years, KPDS and ÜDS must have been taken no more than 3 years prior to the application to Sabanci University
Applicants who do not submit a valid English Proficiency Exam score can only be admitted to graduate study on the condition of obtaining a satisfactory grade in Sabanci Universitys own English Language Assessment Exam (ELAE). Those candidates who fail to attend or get a satisfactory score in the exam are obliged to attend and successfully complete a full course of English Language Preparation in order to continue with graduate courses. Failure to complete this course successfully will result in termination of enrollment at Sabanci University.
Graduates of Sabanci University are exempt from submitting an English Proficiency Exam score provided that they apply within two years following their graduation.
8. Statement of Purpose
9. Other Requirements:
* An undergraduate degree is required in order to apply for all graduate (master's and Ph.D.) degree programs. It is possible to apply for PhD programs with only undergraduate or undergraduate + master's degrees. Holders of all major degrees are eligible to apply.
* An applicant should have an undergraduate or graduate diploma in order to be admitted to a graduate program and a graduate diploma for a doctorate program.
* Applicants must complete their previous degree programs by the admission period at the latest.
English Language RequirementsIELTS band: 5.5 TOEFL paper-based test score : 568 TOEFL iBT® test: 88
For graduate scholarships, your academic background (Previous BA GPA scores, reference letters etc.) And your test results (GMAT / GRE Results etc.) are evaluated in accordance with the required criteria during the admittance and if you are considered to be eligible, various types of scholarships are granted with the decision of Sabanci University Scholarship Committee.For graduate scholarships, there are several opportunities for foreign students. Each year, many students are having different type of scholarships. Finally please note that the faculty you applied is authorized unit to res<pond your scholarship request. Therefore we kindly suggest you to contact with the faculty of any kind of special request