Family and Consumer Sciences

Study mode:On campus Study type:Full-time Languages: English
Local:$ 29.2 k / Year(s) Foreign:$ 29.2 k / Year(s)  
StudyQA ranking:31360 Duration:4 years

Photos of university / #LibertyUniversity

The Department of Family and Consumer Sciences teaches students the values, knowledge and skills necessary to be proactive in strengthening the contemporary family. The goal of Family and Consumer Sciences is to enable individuals and families to function as healthy units in the larger society.

A variety of challenging, profitable, and exciting career opportunities are available to graduates from the program, including interior design, human development, food and nutrition and clothing.


Family and Child development.

Sampling of program courses:

  • Introduction to Family and Child Development: FACS 204
  • Therapy and Theory of Play in Early Childhood: FACS 361
  • Admnistration of Family and Child Life: FACS 365
  • Parenting: FACS 370
  • Families Under Stress: FACS 475

Fashion and interiors.

Sampling of program courses:

  • Design and Construction I for Interiors or Apparel: FACS 221/FACS 222
  • Textiles: Fibers and Fabrics: FACS 320
  • Interior Architecture: FACS 345
  • Apparel Illustration and Design: FACS 420
  • Fashion Promotion and Visual Merchandising: FACS 423

Family and Consumer sciences.

Sampling of program courses:

  • Introduction to Family and Consumer Sciences: FACS 103
  • Family Economic Decisions: FACS 350
  • Professional Development: FACS 403

Teacher licensure

Teacher Licensure Majors will be prepared to teach the following subjects at the middle and high school level:

  • Child Care
  • Nutrition
  • Marriage and Family Relationships
  • Interior Decorating in Homes
  • Cooking
  • Sewing
  • Life Skills - Buying a home/car; managing money.

Step 1: Apply NOW!

The following documents are required in order to be eligible for admission to Liberty University:

  • Complete International Application (online) OR (printable)

  • Affidavit of Financial Support

  • High school transcripts or a secondary education completion certificate with a graduation date plus examination results. *Applicants whose final high school transcript is not in English must submit both an official transcript from their educational institution along with an official English translation of the transcript. Applicants may also be required to submit their high school transcripts to an accredited credential evaluation service.

  • College transcripts (if any). *Any college transcript from an educational institution outside of the US must be officially translated into English and submitted to a credential evaluation service accredited by the National Association of Credential Evaluation Services (NACES) at

  • Test of English Proficiency: If English is not your primary language submit one of the following tests:

  1. A TOEFL score of 61 on the Internet-based TOEFL (or equivalent) is required for undergraduate college admissions. The University institutional code for the TOEFL is 5385.
  2. IELTS (International English Language Testing System) score of 5.5 is required for undergraduate admissions.
  3. PTE (Pearson Test of English) score of 51 is required for undergraduate admissions.
  4. iTEP (International Test of English Proficiency) score of 3.6 for undergraduate admissions.
  • Passport: Please send a photocopy of the photo picture page of your passport that includes your birth date and the expiration date of your passport. Please email a copy to fax to our office at (434) 522-0430.                                       
  • SAT or ACT college entrance exam score report. Not required for admission purposes but may be essential for obtaining a Student Visa in your country. The minimum score for admission is 800 for SAT and 17 for ACT.
  • Send Admissions Essay

  • Pay your $250 Confirmation Deposit

    • Pay online: Online Confirmation Deposit

    • Pay by phone: Call the Admissions Office at 1-800-543-5317 to make a phone payment (Mon-Fri 8am-9pm and Sat 10am-6pm ET)

*Additional items needed when transferring from another school within the U.S.:

  • Transfer Eligibility Form

  • A copy of current I-94 (front and back)

  • A copy of current I-20 (first and third pages)

Step 2: Accept (upon receipt of Acceptance letter)

  • Pay SEVIS Fee

  • Apply for VISA  (Very Important Tips on Applying for Your Student Visa)

Step 3: ASIST (Automated System Information Services Tool)

  • Claim your ASIST Account: Go to > myLU Sign-in > Claim New Account. (Please use your primary phone number as indicated on your application).

  • Complete Financial Check-In

  • Review International Student Housing information

  • Complete the online Math and English Assessment tests.

  • Register for Courses - you must register for at least 12 credit hours

  • Complete Online Health Form  (Must have TB test taken within 6 months of arrival.)

  • Review the Health Insurance Information

  • Log into ASIST and register with FERPA.

Step 4: Attend

  • Submit your picture for your Flames Pass (this serves as your student ID). Review the Flames Pass photo requirements.

  • Email your counselor notification of your travel arrangements in order to be picked up at the Lynchburg airport, bus, or train station.

  • If you have not already, arrange to have your Final and Official High School and College (if you attended) Transcripts sent to the International Admissions Office for admissions purposes.

  • Attend International Student Orientation

International Scholarships & Loan information

Financial assistance in the form of scholarships and awards is available for international students. Once a student completes his application file, he will be automatically considered for any qualifying scholarships and awards.


Undergraduate students are eligible for the following scholarships:

  • Liberty Champion Scholarship
    • First Year $1,000, Second Year $2,000, Third Year $2,500, and Fourth Year $3,000.
  • Academic Achievement Scholarship--$1,500 to Full tuition yearly
  • Academic Honors Scholarship--$4,000 yearly
  • Early Deposit Award--$250 to $2,000 the first year only

Graduate, ELI, and WSB students are not eligible for scholarships from the Office of International Student Services. Please ask your Admissions Counselor if you have questions.


International students are eligible for loans only if they have a US Citizen or Legal Permanent Resident willing to "co-sign" for the loan.  Generally this will need to be someone close to the student as it involves responsibility for the loan in the case that a student cannot pay.

International Private Loan Options

    Scholarships After Arrival

All available scholarships for first-time students are awarded prior to arrival.  There are no additional international scholarships available after arrival. The scholarship amount shown on your I-20 will not be adjusted after arrival during the first year.

However, students who do well academically may be eligible for an Honors scholarship. This scholarship has very high requirements and students will have to take more challenging courses to retain it. Students may also try out for an athletic scholarship. Finally, students who are responsible may apply to be a Student Life Director or a Resident Assistant in their junior or senior year. Both of these positions come with scholarships.

It is very important to note that scholarships do not increase after arrival. Students will need sponsorship for all four years!

Employment Opportunities

On-campus employment is available to international students who have a U.S. Social Security Number. However, student worker jobs are limited, and students cannot be guaranteed employment. Students who obtain a campus job can expect to earn approximately $1,500 per semester by working 18 hours per week.  Campus jobs are often difficult to find.

Off-campus employment is not available to international students during the first year of school. Off-campus employment is available only to students who receive special work authorization from the U.S. government and only under special circumstances.

Students cannot earn enough money to pay their school bill.  This is why it is very important that the student's sponsorship lasts for four years.  Please remember that the F-1 visa is given for the purpose of study.  Work as an F-1 is a privilege, not a right, and opportunities to do so are available on a very limited basis.

Similar programs:
Study mode:On campus Languages: English
Local:$ 275 / program Foreign:$ 728 / program
601–800 place StudyQA ranking: 2785
Study mode:Online Languages: English
Local:$ 275 / program Foreign:$ 728 / program
601–800 place StudyQA ranking: 5143
Study mode:On campus Languages: English
Local:$ 275 / program Foreign:$ 827 / program
601–800 place StudyQA ranking: 4445
Study mode:On campus Languages: English
Local:$ 7.38 k / Year(s) Foreign:$ 18 k / Year(s)
StudyQA ranking: 1954