A BJTC accredited course that produced their Journalist of the Year and Best Documentary in 2012. Our course has been described as cutting edge and one which could revolutionise the way the next generation of journalists gather and distribute news*. Taught by experts in their field, supported by numerous industry professionals, the course is designed with the future profession as its focus; giving you the knowledge and expertise to be a 21st Century journalist and media professional.
If you choose this course you will benefit from:
- A course designed to meet professional standards, which has BJTC accreditation;
- cutting-edge facilities integrated with industry- standard equipment;
- your own high-end laptop with the latest industry- standard software, enabling you to benefit from mobile working and learning with 24/7 access (terms and conditions apply);
- dedicated and flexible creative learning environments designed for the future;
- access to professional broadcast equipment via our dedicated Media Loan Shop;
- links with employers including BBC Coventry and Warwickshire radio, Coventry Telegraph and Touch FM commercial radio;
- contact with some of the worlds leading industry figures via our celebrated media professionals visiting speaker series;
- teaching by staff who are leaders in their chosen professions and who are still actively working as journalists and internationally recognised research specialists;
- the opportunity to work with like-minded students on our partner courses within the Media department including Media and Communications, Photography, and Media Production;
- news days which enable us to test your skills in a live environment so you experience the excitement of news production.
Detailed Course FactsTuition fee
- GBP 9000 Module (EEA)
- GBP 12444 Module (International)
Course ContentOver the three years of your course, you will cover the core themes of:
- Multiplatform journalism practice: the theoretical and practical approaches to producing word-based stories and features for a variety of print and online media.
- Broadcast journalism practice: the theoretical and practical approaches to producing a range of output for various media platforms.
- Media law: the essential guide to the major aspects of media law and other forms of regulation which govern what you can and cannot say or write.
- Media theory: an exploration of the major theoretical issues which underpin our 21st century media such as notions of audience, stereotypes and gender.
Our modules include lectures, seminars, workshops, practical classes, and one-to-one tutorials with teaching staff, as well as live journalism projects. You will gain practical journalism experience, using a variety of mobile technologies and forms of publication/ broadcasting. At the heart of our curriculum are the news days which enable us to test your skills in a live environment so you experience the excitement of news production.
English Language Requirements
IELTS band : 6
To study at this university, you have to speak English. We advice you totake an IELTS test. More About IELTS
RequirementsEssential Entry Requirements:
- 5 GCSEs at grade A*-C including English Language, or specified equivalents.
- A-Levels: BCC preferably to include one from English or Media
- BTEC Level 3 Extended Diploma: DMM in Media
- International Baccalaureate Diploma: 28 points to include English at Higher level
No work experience is required.
- Academic Excellence Scholarship
"The Academic Excellence Scholarship can provide up to a 50 % reduction in tuition per semester. These scholarships will be renewed if the student maintains superior academic performance during each semester of their 3-year Bachelor programme. The scholarship will be directly applied to the student’s tuition fees."
- Access Bursary
Bursary for UK students all subjects where the variable tuition fee rate is payable.
- Alumni Bursary
Alumni Bursary for UK Undergraduate students
* The scholarships shown on this page are suggestions first and foremost. They could be offered by other organisations than Coventry University.
FundingMerit Scholarship Scheme
Merit Scholarship scheme: £1,000, in year one only and based on academic performance.
- Available to all international students applying for full-time undergraduate and postgraduate programmes at Coventry University.
- Scholarships are allocated on the basis of academic merit. (Postgraduate applicants must hold 2.1 or equivalent, undergraduate applicants must hold A-levels or equivalent at grades BBC)
- There is no separate scholarship application process: all undergraduate applications from self-funded international students from any non-EU country and postgraduate applications from international, will automatically be considered for a merit award. You will not have to do anything, if you are successful you will be notified in due course by the International Office.
Occasionally, funding becomes available to enable the University, either centrally, through one of the faculties or from other sources, to offer research studentships in specified topics or fields of study.Science Without Borders
Brazilian students are able to apply for full scholarship - including tuition fees and accommodation - to study undergraduate sandwich programmes at Coventry University.Commonwealth Scholarship Scheme
The Commonwealth Scholarship Commission in the United Kingdom (CSC) offers opportunities to Commonwealth citizens to study in the UK, as part of the UK's contribution to the international Commonwealth Scholarship and Fellowship Plan.
If you are a citizen of a developed Commonwealth country, you can apply for:
Scholarships for PhD and split-site (PhD) study
If you are a citizen of a developing Commonwealth country, you can apply for
- Scholarships for Masters, PhD, or split-site (PhD) study at UK universities
- Shared Scholarships for Masters study at selected UK universities
If you are a citizen of the Maldives, St Helena or the Seychelles, you can apply for:
- Scholarships for undergraduate study at UK universities
Ferguson Trust Scholarships are made available through the generosity of The Allan & Nesta Ferguson Charitable Trust. The Trust was set up in memory of two generations of the Ferguson family to promote education, international friendship and understanding, and the promotion of world peace and development. The Trust supports people from low-income and conflict-affected regions who want to improve their knowledge of peace and reconciliation. Scholarship amounts vary and are dependent on individual circumstances and assessment.
Accredited by BJTC.