Photos of university / #hse_university
The program targets at equipping students with competences which are frequently in short supply to companies and public institutions. It teaches students a thorough understanding of how innovations are generated in daily operations and also of how the political framework conditions are developed, set and implemented and their impact on innovation management.
The program delivers competences to students giving them a global perspective and horizon on science, technology and innovation, the ability to make assessments in the field of Science, Technology and Innovation Policy and Management, taking into account relevant scientific, social and ethical aspects, and demonstrate an awareness of ethical aspects of research and development work. It provides students the opportunity to choose optional courses in either STI policy or in STI management.
This program combines theoretical education and practical experience. It includes international expertise and experience and enriches students personal characteristics as well as their intellectual potential that will enable them to apply science, technology and innovation policy and management skills in companies, organizations or in government bodies.
What makes the program unique?
Regardless if you look for employment in public service, industry or academia the Master program provides students with a wide spectrum of competences.
The program meets the requirements of industry a real case job description for an innovation manager.
There are four principle opportunities for students to find internship places:
- They might be occupied with an ongoing position in an organization. In this case a dedicated internship program with the employer needs to be developed and approved.
- Proposed internships places by HSE. HSE ISSEK will propose potential internship places and agree on the internship program with the host organization. It could be federal ministries (for example, RF Ministry of Education and Science, RF Ministry of Economic Development), large companies (for example, Russian Venture Company, Agency of Innovations) and other organizations
- Internship within the Institute for Statistical Studies and Economics of Knowledge. Students will be employed as research assistants at HSE ISSEK.
- Own initiative. Students propose internships on their own initiative.
HSE has started discussions with leading international universities. HSE students have a chance to attend courses at foreign universities with up to 30 credits obtained there that are recognized for the HSE degree. In addition, HSE and foreign universities exchange faculty in selected courses. After the initial phase of the MP its intended to extend the cooperation towards double degrees issued by HSE and international partner universities.
This opens HSE MP students the opportunity to select a number of courses from other universities worldwide and allows international students to spend a limited period of time at HSE to attend courses and obtain credits accepted at their home institutions.
Student exchange programmes: Seoul National University (Republic of Korea), Middle East Technical University (Turkey), University of Bremen (Germany), Maastricht University (the Netherlands)
Double degree programmes: Maastricht University (the Netherlands), Technische Universitaet Berlin (Germany)
- Economics of Innovation
- Foresight and Strategic Planning
- Measurement of STI
- Scientific Research Methods for STI
- STI Policy
- Strategies in STI Management
Elective courses (to choose at least 7)
- Business Model Innovation
- Corporate Foresight
- Finance of Innovation
- Innovation Strategies in Fintech
- Intellectual Property Management
- Managing Creativity and Innovation
- Marketing Innovation
- Massive Open Online Courses (MOOCs)
- Public-Private Partnerships for STI
- Regional STI Policy
- Risk Management in Innovation Projects
- Social Studies of STI
- University Pool Discipline
During the research seminar students are trained to work on academic projects, academic writing, presentation skills and essay and thesis preparation.
The internship programme is designed to allow students to engage in professional relationships with ministries, agencies and corporations. NRU HSE will advise students and provide a number of internships with selected institutions. The internship programmes will be negotiated by the student with the prospective employer. NRU HSE will approve the agreements and assure that internship positions are in accordance with the Master programme curriculum. After the practical work students prepare a report outlining the major duties and results of their internship.
Students applying for the Master course need to possess the following skills and competences:
- Bachelor or specialist degree (at least 180 ECTS or equivalent) in engineering or natural sciences, management, economics, political science, public administration, sociology, law or any other field with an above average result
- Good command of English
- Self-organized and problem solving skills
- Structured and analytical capabilities
- Prior work experience in industry or public service is desirable but not obligatory
The program offers 25 state-funded and 10 self-funded places for Russian students as well as a limited number of places for foreign students. Foreign students may also get a scholarship which fully covers tuition fees for both years.
The program is accredited by National Research University Higher School of Economics.