Photos of university / #ruhrunibochum
See also our blog: http://resolv-blog.de/category/imos/
Ruhr University Bochum, Faculty of Chemistry and Biochemistry
Solvation Science @ RUB
University Alliance Ruhr UA RUHR
Specialisation: spectroscopic and theoretical techniques, simulation, molecular physics, chemistry, and biochemistry
Application: open for Bachelor's students in chemistry, physics, mathematics, biochemistry, and related engineering fields
Duration: two years including a three-month international internship
Teaching language: English; English language courses included.
Scholarships: available for outstanding applicants, housing guaranteed
- The Master's Programme takes two years.
- The teaching language is English.
- Study within a very active, interdisciplinary research environment.
- Work together with top researchers in their field.
- Early hands-on experience in high profile research
- Spend three months in an international internship.
- Qualify for your funded doctoral thesis in Germany.
- Fast track option for outstanding students: start your doctoral work after only one year.
- Online application: http://www.ruhr-uni-bochum.de/imos
- Submit your academic certificates.
- If you are not a native speaker, file your English language certificate.
- Talk to us in a Skype introductory conversation.
- Get your visa.
Who should apply?
Bachelor's students in
- related engineering fields
We are looking for students who have a passion for science and want to work in an international environment.
What skills should you have?
This is a highly competitive programme demanding your skills in quantum mechanics, mathematics, physics, and chemistry. You should have already learned:
- Schrödinger's equation and wave functions
- Hamilton operator
- real and complex valued vector spaces, matrices
- basic set transformations, partial differentiation
- integration over arbitrary dimensional space
- basic statistical entities like distributions, averages data regression and hypothesis tests
What we offer:
- partial scholarships and grants
- opportunity to apply for paid scientific student jobs
- comprehensive student support
- guaranteed housing
- full-time student benefits
- German and English language courses
- three-month international internship
- possibility to start a paid PhD study after Master's programme
- active research environment with internationally renowned scientists
- full assistance in study and research
- Earn cutting-edge skills in theoretical and spectroscopic techniques.
- Gain deep insights into molecular physics, chemistry, and bio-chemistry.
- Acquire the ability to apply the tools to a wide range of interdisciplinary scientific challenges.
- Learn how to develop and solve scientific questions by employing suitable theoretical and experimental methods.
- Work in international, multicultural, and interdisciplinary teams.
Educational organisationFor details, please refer to: http://www.rub.de/imos
iMOS will provide you with state-of-the-art skills in theoretical and spectroscopic techniques. The programme will enable you to apply these tools to a wide variety of interdisciplinary scientific challenges. These fundamental skills will allow you to understand molecular (bio)physics/chemistry and its applications - ranging from the nano regime to macroscopic entities.
In total, 120 credit points (CP) are necessary to obtain the iMOS Master's degree.
iMOS Curriculum (120 CP)
- First semester (28 or 33 CP)
- Concepts of Quantum Mechanics**
- Statistical Physics and Thermodynamics**
- Dynamics and Simulation (Practical)
- Concepts of Spectroscopy I (Practical)
- Concepts of Molecular Chemistry I
- Second semester (28 or 33 CP)
- Electronic and Molecular Structure (Practical)
- Concepts of Spectroscopy II (Practical)
- Concepts of Molecular Chemistry II
- Theoretical Spectroscopy
- Numerical Methods and Scientific Computing**
- Third semester (29 CPs)
- hands-on training in a work group of your choice
- international course (three month internship)
- Fourth semester (30 CPs)
- Master's thesis
**Two of these three elective courses are required for graduation.
Study abroad unit(s)Participants spend two to three months of the third semester carrying out a research internship at a foreign research institution. We currently have 19 international partners:
Ecole Normale Supérieure, Paris; ETH Zurich; University of Cambridge; Radboud University Nijmegen; University College London; University of Nottingham; Weizmann Institute of Science, Israel; Cornell University, Purdue University, University of California at Berkeley, University of California at Irvine, University of California at Santa Barbara, University of Illinois at Urbana Champaign, University of Pennsylvania, Yale University, USA; Indian Institute of Technology, Kanpur, Indian Institute of Science, Bangalore, India; Seoul National University, Korea; National Institutes of Natural Sciences, Japan. However, students can visit other institutes if they wish.
InternshipsA two to three month international internship at one of our partner institutions is obligatory and can be partly financially supported if necessary.
Forms of assessment
- Written examinations
- oral examinations
- work assessments in the form of seminar contributions or lab reports
Course objectivesiMOS will provide you with state-of-the-art skills in theoretical and spectroscopic techniques. The programme will enable you to apply these tools to a wide variety of interdisciplinary scientific challenges. These fundamental skills will allow you to understand molecular (bio)physics/chemistry and its applications - ranging from the nano regime to macroscopic entities.
Germany is one of the world's leaders in applied optical technologies, chemistry and pharmacy. There exist excellent opportunities for alumni with a top-level education and training in spectroscopy and microscopy as well as simulation techniques.
Language requirementsApplicants must provide proof of their English skills: TOEFL 600 (paper-based), 250 (computer-based), 100 (internet-based), IELTS 6.0 or equivalent.
- Bachelor's degree (or equivalent) in chemistry, physics, mathematics, biochemistry or related engineering fields
- For the application, it is enough to send the grade sheet with the marks you reached so far.
- proof of 10 ECTS credit points in mathematics
- proof of 8 ECTS credit points in theoretical chemistry, and/or spectroscopic techniques and/or quantum mechanics and/or equivalent topics
Enrolment feesA social fee of approx. 270 EUR has to be paid. The fee includes a semester ticket covering public transport in the entire state of North Rhine-Westphalia.
Costs of livingMinimum of 670 EUR per month to cover personal and living expenses
Job opportunitiesStudent jobs at the faculty
Funding opportunities within the universityThe international practical at one of the partner institutions in the third semester can be partly funded by the Master's programme if necessary.
Arrival supportThe iMOS office provides arrival support. Please contact us for details.
Services and support for international studentsThe iMOS office provides arrival support together with the International Office of RUB. This includes support regarding visa, accommodation, and every day life.
AccommodationAn accommodation can be guaranteed by a 300 EUR security deposit.
Accommodation is furthermore available through the Student Services Office or on the private market. Rent for a single room in a student residence is approx. 220-250 EUR.