For centuries Russia (or Russian Empire, the Soviet Union, the New Russia) continues to be one of the European and global edges - often challenging, sometimes scaring, usually encouraging, and always fascinating with its political and artistic experiments, its beauty, and its deep and enigmatic soul.
Whether you are a historian, political scientist, sociologist, or language specialist, studying at EUSP will give you the opportunity to broaden your knowledge of Russia, to conduct thorough and detailed research of your subject, and to create a solid background for your career.
Why choose IMARES Plus, not IMARES?
Our students have a choice between a one-year intensive IMARES and a two-year IMARES Plus Master’s degree program with more time for
- better learning the Russian language;
- doing a research work;
- getting extra knowledge and skills during an internship.
IMARES Plus program has empowered our alumni to make a career in
- educational institutions in North America, Europe, and Russia;
- research and administrative duties at Thomson Reuters, Elsevier, Smithsonian Institution, libraries and museums, editorial boards of academic journals and publishers;
- journalism at The New York Times, The Moscow Times, etc;
- private and state companies such as IBM, Bank of America, and Boeing;
- government bodies (e.g. foreign embassies, NASA), national or regional councils and parliaments;
- international organizations such as the International Criminal Court, The World Bank, European Commission.
IMARES COURSE FORMAT
- follow-up discussion sessions
- the language of instructions is English
To complete the MA degree, the student must have a total of 120 Credits (120 ECTS)
Additionally, a student may audit as many classes as his or her schedule allows.
Political Changes in Post-Soviet Eurasia
Russian-American Relations from the Historical Perspective
Empire and Nationalism in Russia and the Soviet Union
Russia and Armed Conflicts in and beyond Eurasia
Russian Foreign Policy
Russian Political and Social History
Conflict and Cooperation in Eurasia
Between Russia and Iran: History of the South Caucasus in the 19th-20th Centuries
Central Asia States: Making, Breaking and Remaking
Introduction to Soviet Civilization
Jewish Life under Bolshevik Rule: Politics, Ideologies, Representations, 1920s–1930s
Workshops with guest lecturers and experts
BA degree. No prior knowledge of Russian is needed.
In terms of backgrounds and prior experience, IMARES students are often as diverse as the topics they study at the EUSP. Whether you are a historian, political scientist, sociologist, journalist or language specialist, studying at EUSP will give you the opportunity to broaden your horizons and gain new perspectives in a career.
You may start IMARES Plus program in Fall semester. The fall semester starts at the beginning of September.
Admissions continue on a rolling basis. Early applications are strongly encouraged. Due to a somewhat lengthy Russian Study Visa issuing process, we ask to send the completed application form no later than
April 30, 2021, for enrollment in Fall Semester 2021
In case you miss the deadline, please write to us to discuss the possibility of a late application.