Photos of university / #lluniversitate
The Latvia University of Life Sciences and Technologies (until March 6, 2018 – Latvia University of Agriculture (LLU); Latvian: Latvijas Lauksaimniecības universitāte; LLU) is a university in Jelgava, Latvia, specializing in biosciences, engineering sciences and social sciences.
LLU has provided higher education since 1863, and throughout this time we have educated five generations of specialists. The high quality of the academic and study environmrent is proven through the appreciation of Latvia’s employers, as well as the amount of new patents – 2nd place in all of Latvia. Nowadays LLU has become the intersection between science, innovation, research, technology and business. LLU is also a place, where each student acquires education with added value- knowledge, skills and competence that makes him or her not only a good professional, but also a better person. However, these are not the only reasons why it is worth choosing LLU as your study place.
Latvia University of Life Sciences and Technologies is a higher education and science establishment of the Republic of Latvia, where scientific research as well as academic and professional study programmes are carried out.
The main goal of the University is to create intellectual potential for providing sustainable development of Latvia and its countryside in particular while becoming and up-to date, internationally recognized and prestigious university, which actively integrates into the united European space of higher education and science.
The history of the university dates back to 1863 when the Department of Agriculture was established in the Riga Polytechnicum.
In 1919 the University of Latvia opened the Department of Agriculture the Faculty of Veterinary Medicine.
In 1936 the Cabinet of Ministers of the Republic of Latvia decided to transfer the Agriculture Faculty of the University to Latvia to Jelgava, thus founding a new higher education establishment – the Jelgava Academy of Agriculture. On 23, 1938 Kārlis Ulmanis, the president and prime minister, proclaimed “The Constitution of the Jelgava Academy of Agriculture”.
On July 3, 1939, a new academic institution with two faculties: agriculture and forestry, was opened in Jelgava.
In July 1944, after the Jelgava Palace was burnt down, the Academy ceased to exist. It was renewed in Riga as the Latvia Academy of Agriculture.
On October 19, 1957 the Council of Ministers of the Latvian Soviet Socialistic Republic accepted a decision to transfer the Academy to Jelgava. Till 1964 all the faculties of the Academy were transferred to Jelgava.
In 1991 according to the decision of the Academy’s Council, the Latvia Academy of Agriculture was renamed as the Latvia University on Agriculture.
In 1994 the Senate of the Latvia University of Agriculture approved the symbols of the University: the flag, the emblem, the attire of the administration and academic staff.
In 2001 the higher educational establishment received the state accreditation as a University.
In 2005 the Award of the Year was initiated.
In 2007 the Lifelong Education Centre was established.
In 2010 the distance and e-learning form were introduced.
In 2012 the University approved the official hymn which had been composed in 1940 by Jēkabs Mediņš as a dedication to the Latvia Academy of Agriculture.
Since 2018 6th March LLU Senate approved university name in English "University of Life Sciences and Technologies".
1. Application form
2. Passport copy
3. Copy of documents that state your previous education (diploma, transcript of records) ir original language. If the document is not in English or Latvian, notarized translation in English have to be privided.
4. Copy of document that states your English proficiency (IELTS, TOEL, etc.). An online interview will be organised, if you can not provide any certificate.
5. Copy of receipt confirming the payment of application fee (ask for invoice if needed):
- 160 EUR - for all foreign applicants
- 300 EUR - for applicants from states for the citizens of which, in issuing a visa or residence permit, an additional assessment shall be performed.
Application fee is non-refundable.
More detailed about admission procedure ou can read here: https://www.llu.lv/en/how-to-apply
Student Self-government serves as an intermediary between the university administration and student, providing mutual information exchange. Student Self-government unites active, creative and enterprising students who like to be in the centre of events and who spend their free time dealing with the problems of their peers’ regarding academic, social, culture and sport life. The members of the Student Self-government represent and defend students’ opinion and rights at the meetings of the University’s Convent, Senate, the Councils of Studies and Maintenance Assistance, various commissions and workgroups, as well as at the Latvian Students Association and other organizations at a national and international level. The Students Self-Government gives an opportunity ti its members to develop their skills and gain experience, form social contacts, participating and organizing various activities at the university and elsewhere.
The main activities of the Students' Self-Government are:
- Representation of students’ interests;
- Organization of an annual students’ concert for the university staff;
- The year Award ceremony;
- Award of the status of the Honoured Member;
- Organization of the Students’ Days events;
- Campaigns of cleaning up the nature;
- Charity events;
- Participation in experience exchange in Latvia and abroad.
- in Qs EECA ranking LLu is one of the best universities in Europe and Central Asia and the best life science university in the Baltic States
- University holds the “ Investment in Excellence” standart
- Among the TOP 3 universities in Latvia recommended by employers
WORLDWIDE REGORNIZED DIPLOMA
- diploma supplement label recognized by the European Commission
- graduates can continue studies or work all over the world
ADVANCED FACILITIES AND REASONABLE COSTS
- modern laboratory equipment
- comfortable dormitories (75 or 135 EUR/per month)
- studies in an outstanding architectural monument – Jelgava Palace
GREEN AND SAFE ENVIRONMENT
- Jelgava is a very safe city for everyone
- Jelgava Palace is located on an island, the majority of which is a nature rezerve
STUDIES WITH ADDED VALUE
- practice – and research – based teaching with close links to the labour market and business
- students acquire multi – disciplinary knowledge and gain international exposure with the help of different mobility programmes
- a wide variety of sports activities for free
- well - balanced studies and cultural life
ADVANTAGEOUS GEOGRAPHICAL LOCATION
- major European cities can be convenietly reached by bus, airplane or ferry.