Photos of university / #uclanuni
MSc Fire Investigation comprises the following modules:
Research Methods: Trains students in a wide range of skills including technical documentation, project management, data analysis and retrieval, writing and research skills, and library use.
Fire and Combustion: Describes the fundamentals of fire behaviour, from smouldering to ignition, fire growth and flashover, the temperatures and thermal effects during the different stages, which underpin any investigation of a fire scene. This will include the effects of structures and their contents, and the effects of fire fighting on the fire scene, and the behaviour of explosives and explosions.
Forensic Analysis: Covers the fundamentals of chemical analysis, including sampling methods, separation science and molecular identification are studied, in preparation for collection, analysis and identification of accelerants from a fire scene. The module will also deal with procedures for collection and presentation of scientific evidence for legal proceedings.
Practical Fire Investigation: Provides students with the detailed knowledge and practical experience of fire investigation. Areas covered will include recognition of causes of fire, laboratory analysis of fire debris, fire fatalities, and management of fire investigation.
Expert Witness in the Legal Process: Covers communication skills and provides background and training in expert witness delivery, the study of British and International Law.
Human Response to Fire: Concerns itself with the effects of fire on human life. The response of humans to the hazardous components of fire will influence their ability to escape. The majority of fire deaths are caused through inhalation of toxic gases, with burn injuries also making a significant contribution, while an unknown number of fire victims are trapped by the presence of incapacitating effects of smoke (visual obscuration) and irritant gases.
Research Project: Every student will undertake a research project, which will use and enhance many of the skills learnt on the course. The project will be based within the University or on a placement with a suitable fire investigation agency or analytical unit. The result should be a publishable quality paper and students will also be required to give a presentation of their findings.
SEMESTER 1 * Research Methods
* Fire and Combustion
* Forensic Analysis
SEMESTER 2 * Expert Witness in the Legal Process
* Practical Fire Investigation
* Human Response to Fire
SEMESTER 3 * Research Project (triple module)
* Honours degree of the level 2.2 or above from a UK university or of the CNAA or its equivalent in an appropriate engineering or science discipline (forensic science, biology, chemistry, fire safety engineering etc); * Degree or HNC or HND in an appropriate discipline, together with appropriate professional experience; * Qualification or experience deemed to be equivalent to any of the above. English Language Requirements IELTS band: 6.5 FCE score : (read more) Cambridge English: First (FCE) is part of the Cambridge English suite and is targeted at an upper-intermediate level (IELTS 5.5-6.5). It is an international English language exam which provides the perfect foundation for success in study and work. Take Cambridge English: First to prove your ability to use everyday written and spoken English when applying to study abroad. 80 (Grade A) IMPORTANT NOTE: Since April 2014 the ETS tests (including TOEFL and TOEIC) are no longer accepted for Tier 4 visa applications to the United Kingdom. The university might still accept these tests to admit you to the university, but if you require a Tier 4 visa to enter the UK and begin your degree programme, these tests will not be sufficient to obtain your Visa. The IELTS test is most widely accepted by universities and is also accepted for Tier 4 visas to the UK- learn more.
UCLan offers a range of Scholarships and Bursaries to it students:
* UCLAN FINANCIAL BURSARY 2014
* BURSARIES FOR INTERNATIONAL STUDENTS
* EARLY PAYMENT BURSARY FOR INTERNATIONAL STUDENTS
* ENGINEERING SCHOLARSHIP
* INTERNATIONAL AWARD FOR INTERNATIONAL STUDENTS
* NHS BURSARIES
* PHARMACY AND BIOMEDICAL SCIENCES RESEARCH BURSARY
* POSTGRADUATE JOURNALISM BURSARY
* POSTGRADUATE SCHOLARSHIPS FOR EASTERN AND CENTRAL AFRICAN STUDENTS
* POSTGRADUATE SCHOLARSHIPS FOR INTERNATIONAL STUDENTS
* SCHOLARSHIP FOR SELF-FUNDED INTERNATIONAL STUDENTS IN PARTNER INSTITUTIONS
* SCHOLARSHIPS FOR STUDENTS FROM INDONESIA
* SCHOLARSHIP FOR STUDENTS FROM PALESTINE
* UK GOVERNMENTS GLOBAL SCHOLARSHIP PROGRAMME
* UNDERGRADUATE JOURNALISM BURSARY
* UNDERGRADUATE UCLAN SPORT SCHOLARSHIP