Photos of university / #uclanuni
In 1828, the University of Central Lancashire was founded in Preston as the Institution for the Diffusion of Knowledge. ‘Ex solo ad solem’, or in translation, ‘From the Earth to the Sun’, has been its motto ever since – helping talented people from all walks of life to make the most of their potential.
Today the University is one of the UK’s largest with a student and staff community approaching 38,000. Internationally the University has academic partners in all regions of the globe and it is on a world stage that the first class quality of its education was first recognised. The University has an increasingly thriving campus in Cyprus delivering UCLan programmes and original research within a Central Lancashire environment and culture.
In 2010, the University became the first UK modern Higher Education institution to appear in the QS World University Rankings. In 2018, the Centre for World University Rankings estimated Central Lancashire to be in the top 3.7 percent of all worldwide universities, highlighting the progress the institution has made in providing students with real-world learning experiences and reflecting the institution’s broad pool of academic talent.
Amongst its programme portfolio of some 400 undergraduate and 200+ postgraduate courses, the University has been at the forefront of developing degrees in emerging disciplines such as Fashion and Forensic Science to an evolving portfolio of Dentistry programmes to meet emerging sector needs. Undergraduate Medicine has now been added to that list, a course being delivered in one of the UK's most modern and inclusive Medical Schools.
Situated in the heart of the North West of England, the City of Preston is vibrant, cultural and friendly with plenty of activities and events to keep you entertained. 30,000 students live in Preston, making the city a lively, diverse and contemporary place to study.
If you’re interested in studying at UCLan, there’s lots going on and you’ll find Preston is a bustling city, traditional yet with a young and lively atmosphere. Located a short distance from the coastline, the Lake District, and the larger cities of Manchester and Liverpool, both of which have international airports; Preston is also one of the most networked cities in the country. The railway station is just a 10-minute walk away from campus. With so much to offer, there’s something for everyone…
- Preston is one of the best networked cities in the country, boasting fantastic transport links
- It's official Preston is the cheapest city overall for students to live in the UK
- Preston was named the best city to live and work in the North West
- Founding member of the original football league in 1888
- Preston was awarded Purple Flag status for the safety and diversity of its nightlife
- Preston is committed to a major transformation of the city and surrounding area
We know that as well as a world-class education, you’re looking for an unforgettable student experience and a valuable, professionally-respected qualification. So when weighing up your options, you should look at The University of Central Lancashire to start your dream degree. Our mission is to transform lives, so if you’re looking for a transformative student experience to help you reach your career aspirations, check out these great reasons to choose UCLan…
- Ranked in the top 3.7% of universities in the world by the Centre for World University Rankings 2018/19 (CWUR), UCLan was the UK’s first modern university to get into the QS World rankings, and we were also awarded the maximum 5 stars for the quality of our teaching.
- UCLan has recently received a silver quality award for ‘consistently exceeding rigorous national quality requirements’ in the first ever national Teaching Excellence Framework (TEF) assessment. We are delighted to see recognition of our commitment to personalised provision and excellent support for students.
- If your ambition is to work for yourself, you’re more likely to succeed at UCLan. Our graduates are still running thriving businesses after three years.
- Over 95% of our graduates are in employment six months after graduating, having benefited from our close industry links with over 1000 employers, who offer invaluable work experience opportunities to help you become career-ready. Have a look at where our graduates are now!
- The most recent Guardian league table has ranked eight of our subject areas in the Top 20 nationally, and we’ve risen 20 places overall. The University is also the fifth highest riser nationally, and is now ranked joint 5th out of 12 North West universities.
- Our £200m Campus Masterplan will blend our already fantastic facilities with new buildings – including a £32m state-of-the-art Engineering Innovation Centre, opening in 2019 - and public green spaces, improving access for pedestrians and cyclists.
- It’s official – Preston is the best place in the North West to live and work, according to a recent report** which measures economic success and personal and family wellbeing, and is ranked 19th overall in the Good Growth for Cities index. So listen to the experts and pay us a visit!
- Our compact campus is at the heart of Preston and everything you need - from shops to restaurants and nightlife - is in walking distance. Preston is one of the greenest cities in the UK – over two thirds of the area is rural or green open spaces – and you’re just a 25 minute drive from the beaches and bustle of Blackpool, and 40-minutes from metropolitan Manchester and the stunning Lake District.